Baffling Windows 7 SP1 Lockups

Hello all,

Could really use some good input on this please :)

long story short, I Have spent the last few weeks trying various things to detect/solve the cause of this odd total lockup issue, (total lockup as in ctrl alt del has no effect whatsoever)

it seems to rotate between the total lockups, to a blank screen and "the display driver has been reset" or something like that, and then being able to carry on, however, the total lockup's are more frequent than the reset crap, and I have to press the power button :/

I did think at first it was my browser, due it happening more frequently when scrolling and/or playing youtube video's, but i have tried different browsers and have the same issue with all, and i tried disabling hardware acceleration in browser settings.

it also happens in games

I have tried loads of different nvidia driver's, Bought a new PSU, (which was needed anyway tbh) I have tried an old dual core cpu, the main cpu that is installed now is a Quad

I have tried formatting

I don't have a spare gfx card, or memory, although I am running out of idea's, and at the mo suspecting gfx card.

I want to order a gfx card but don't have the funds available to find out if it is or isn't that

I seem to recall reading once it being a bad thing if hardware was/is using the same IRQ? but I have no idea what they are or how i would change it/them

and some of mine are in use twice i think.

here is my info

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4  (2 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 2 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

QuadCore Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650, 3000 MHz 

EVGA e-GeForce GT 610 - Driver Version    22.21.13.8253 - nVIDIA ForceWare 382.53

4x DIMM Corsair XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C5    2 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM  (5-5-5-18 @ 400 MHz)  (4-4-4-13 @ 270 MHz)

Creative SB X-Fi Sound Card

Boot Drive Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500G, according to HD Sentinel its @ 95% health and has been for a few months

1 WD 1TB 100% health

1 WD 2TB 100% health

any suggestions greatly appreciated, Thanks :)

no, but im not sure thinking about it now, if my screen is even capable of that, i know my card is, however, its currently plugged in via DVI

6 minutes ago, Evolution-24 said:

no, but im not sure thinking about it now, if my screen is even capable of that, i know my card is, however, its currently plugged in via DVI

Check the cable would be one thing. More than likely the caps on your video card are shot

• Like 1

Thanks a lot,  I Think i will check HDMI tomorrow if the screen can do it, and if no luck, its beg borrow or steal a gfx card i guess lol

One other thing, I just noticed, and have a question, If I have got a not all that great gfx card, do i need to plug a power connector into my motherboard in the red cicle, see picture

as i just noticed that i don't have one in there, so I'm wondering if there should be, and would it cause this by not having one in there?

board.jpg

I don't know what that is?? Y our system is very old and you may want to consider getting a new one. If you just need business graphics then the built in Intel one is fine but it may not be worth it to put a new card in such an old system