Drone registration coming to the UK

The UK government has announced a plan to require drone owners to register their devices. It says the incoming rules are aimed at ensuring safer use of the technology.

Under the planned regulations, owners of drones weighing more than 250 grams will, in future, be required to register their devices — with the stated aim being to “improve accountability and encourage owners to act responsibly”.

A similar plan in the US to require drone owners register their devices with the Federal Aviation Authority was struck down by an appeals court in May. Though Congress could still legislate on the issue.

In the UK, the government is also planning a new drone safety awareness test that drone owners will have to take to prove they understand relevant safety, security and privacy regulations.

There’s no timeframe for when the new UK drone regulations will come into force. Nor are there concrete details of how the rules will be enforced. The government says drone owners “may” be able to register their drones online or through apps, suggesting it’s still exploring options.

/snip

More at TechCrunch

Edited by Jim K
forgot to add the TechCrunch link

3 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Huh. The US drops it and the UK picks it up?

Unfortunately the UK have had a spate of numpties flying them in airspace causing havoc with commerical flights mate.

im not surprised they have brought this up tbh.

3 minutes ago, Mando said:

Unfortunately the UK have had a spate of numpties flying them in airspace causing havoc with commerical flights mate.

im not surprised they have brought this up tbh.

...and this will make precisely zero difference to that sort of thing. People who do that sort of idiotic thing will ignore the registration requirement.

• Like 1

Drones are a legal and functional nightmare, so this isn't surprising. There will need to be a lot of changes for airspace and privacy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slugsie said:

...and this will make precisely zero difference to that sort of thing. People who do that sort of idiotic thing will ignore the registration requirement.

thats a fair point mate.

8 hours ago, Zagadka said:

Drones are a legal and functional nightmare, so this isn't surprising. There will need to be a lot of changes for airspace and privacy.

agreed, I've found my neighbour from a couple of streets away was using one at 1am, to see into in my back yard, which is well illuminated with pir floodlights and so I filmed the drone to have video evidence, (I happened to recognise the drone as I've seen him fly it during the day as well) and I went to his house and told him if anything is missing from my back yard his place was the first door I will knock on.

(Which I won't but will forward the info to the police).

(Hasn't been back since as I think he spotted me recording it via it's cameras or something)

2 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

agreed, I've found my neighbour from a couple of streets away was using one at 1am, to see into in my back yard, which is well illuminated with pir floodlights and so I filmed the drone to have video evidence, (I happened to recognise the drone as I've seen him fly it during the day as well) and I went to his house and told him if anything is missing from my back yard his place was the first door I will knock on.

(Which I won't but will forward the info to the police).

(Hasn't been back since as I think he spotted me recording it via it's cameras or something)

That is already covered under the current regulations, and is illegal.

19 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Huh. The US drops it and the UK picks it up?

Requiring a simple test to own/fly a drone isn't a bad thing though. as long as it's not a long rigorous studying and testing thing that costs a lot. 

And that's the real important part of this, registration itself isn't very useful or doesn't really matter for anyone. it won't hinder pilots or help those against it. 

Edited by HawkMan

5 hours ago, Slugsie said:

That is already covered under the current regulations, and is illegal.

Not enough information in that story to say if he did anything illegal though. even then the whole "spying on my yard" part is pure assumption and speculation, even if the guy could theoretically make out anything useful on his wide angle view. 

1 hour ago, HawkMan said:

Not enough information in that story to say if he did anything illegal though. even then the whole "spying on my yard" part is pure assumption and speculation, even if the guy could theoretically make out anything useful on his wide angle view. 

More than enough. UK regulations forbid flying within 50m of a building. Unless EvilOverlord lives in a very sparse rural location, to have flown from 'a couple of streets away' would have required flying within 50m of a building. Furthermore, if he's flying a couple of streets away, chances are he's not in line-of-sight; another no-no.