Police say man tries to steal police car with officer in it

FORT PIERCE — A 20-year-old man was arrested after police say he tried to steal a car.

Not just any old car.

A Fort Pierce police patrol vehicle. At the Fort Pierce Police Department. With a Fort Pierce police officer in it.

Because who would ever notice?

It happened about 5 a.m. July 17 as Officer Robie Troutman was in his patrol vehicle at the main police station on South U.S. 1 writing a report, according to his report.

“While in my vehicle, I heard the rear passenger side door handle make noise and then the front passenger side door handle make noise, where I was positioned seated in the driver seat of my clearly marked Fort Pierce Police Department Patrol vehicle,” the report states.

Troutman opened his door and reported seeing a man later identified as Aaron Orlando Rodriguez III run away and hide behind another vehicle.

Troutman and another officer detained Rodriguez and found two cell phones, a portable speaker, a $20 bill and a pipe with marijuana residue.

“Rodriguez said he saw my vehicle was running so he attempted to steal the vehicle so he had a ride home,” the report states.

Rodriguez, of Okeechobee, was arrested on charges including attempted grand theft of a motor vehicle, loitering and prowling and possession of drug equipment.
Source