The Password Poll.

Password Poll  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How many different sites do you have passwords for?

• 1 - 10
    • 10 - 20
    • 20 - 30
    • 30 - 40
    • 40 - 50
    • 50 - 60
    • 60 -70
    • 70 -80
    • 80 -90
    • 90 -100
    • 100 - 150
    • 150 - 200
    • 200 - 250
    • 250 - 300
    • 350 - 400
    • 400 - 450
    • 450 - 500
    • More than 500
    • Zero.
  2. 2. How do you store your passwords?

• A password Manager
    • Good old fashion pen / pencil and paper.
    • Document stored on your computer
    • I don't have to store them I use the same password on every website
    • I don't have any passwords to store
  3. 3. How unique are your passwords?

• I use the same password on every website
    • I switch between a few differnet passwords
    • They are all differnet
    • They are all different and they are all random gibberish.
    • They are mostly different and mostly random gibberish
    • I don't have any passwords
  4. 4. Are your passwords Synced between multiple devices?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not yet
    • I don't have any passwords to sync
  5. 5. If you do use a password Manager which one do you use

• Keep pass
    • Roboform
    • Lastpass
    • Dashlane
    • Firefox Sync
    • 1password
    • Encryptr
    • Enpass
    • Keeper
    • pass
    • password safe
    • oneID
    • Keychain
    • kwallet
    • Intuitive Password
    • The one built into the web browser but it does not sync
    • One not listed Above
    • I don't use a password Manager

Welcome to the password poll.  Wow, 2 votes in 1 hour (the moment I created the poll), this poll is smoking :laugh:

1 minute ago, Draconian Guppy said:

more than 500 :wacko: wow anything beyond 10 amazes me really :p

Well, almost every forum requires it's own login, Almost every eCommerce site requires their own passwords. Adds up quick. Each of those has to have their own different passwords to avoid a tumbling house of cards.

• Like 1

I have one password that I use, but I modify it on a per site bases I.e. random caps, and/or changing a number or adding a special character. I also have TFA enabled for every spot I can, so if my password is compromised(*cough* steam all the damn time!) anyone with it is SOL.

• 1 year later...
On 8/4/2017 at 2:03 PM, Draconian Guppy said:

more than 500 :wacko: wow anything beyond 10 amazes me really :p

Mostly what really adds up at least in my case, is forums. I was talking to a friend who said he only has 3 site passwords. The day after I talked with him I was looking for some stuff and in the process signed up for 3 different forums putting 3 more entries in my last pass.

510 logins stored for me. I selected password manager - other. I used Last Pass for many years as a premium subscriber but moved over to Bitwarden about 16 months ago. Its not quite a full featured as Last Pass but it gets good reviews, is open source and can be self hosted.

553 logins stored but I reckon half of that are sites I no longer use. Also switched to Bitwarden from Lastpass, seems to autofill boxes better than Lastpass is able to.

• 10 months later...

People who don't use a password manager are suckers especially if they have anything important they don't want being compromised because if for example one of your random accounts on a random website becomes hacked it would be easy for people to test that info out on other sites they think you might have etc which is why it's ALWAYS a good idea to have different passwords for ALL sites you use so if one becomes compromised it ain't going to effect the others.

also, one thing many neglect, but I suspect is not as much of a factor in today's world, is... if you have 'security questions' on some sites to recover your password those should be treated as a secondary password of which I generate random passwords for those to.

also, one thing that's a generally good idea for a little extra security is instead of mostly using the same login name for random sites you use, use different login names for each site because it will be that much harder for someone to guess your login info for different sites if someone was targeting you trying to hack accounts tied to you etc.

p.s. I am surprised some people have anywhere near 500 passwords to store as there just don't seem like there is anywhere near 500 sites worth having a account on. even half of that would be a lot.

On 8/10/2017 at 3:12 PM, Circaflex said:

I use passworcard along with 2FA when I can

While that's generally considered a good idea. I would generally avoid using ones phone for 2FA because of that sim swap crap etc (especially for more higher profile people) which can be used to take over ones account.

that's why I would generally prefer a email instead of a smart phone text type of thing as it seems less risky in general. but I guess maybe one could argue short of the sim swap stuff, that 2FA using a smart phone might be a bit better than email since it would be harder to take over someone's phone than their email address I suspect in general.

either way... I figure without putting too much effort into these things one can at least make themselves a lot less vulnerable by using a password manager (which generates it's own long unique passwords(I would do at least around 20 characters to be safe although longer the better)) especially if they are pretty sure their computer is secure as then at this point if a site gets hacked the damage is limited.

1 hour ago, ThaCrip said:

That's why I would generally prefer a email instead of a smart phone text type of thing as it seems less risky in general. but I guess maybe one could argue short of the sim swap stuff, that 2FA using a smart phone might be a bit better than email since it would be harder to take over someone's phone than their email address I suspect in general.

Which is why two a unique password factor on your email is very important. Because all the reset passwords links get sent there.

1 hour ago, Nehemoth said:

August 4, 2017

😮😮😮

Great threads never die :D

1 hour ago, ThaCrip said:

p.s. I am surprised some people have anywhere near 500 passwords to store as there just don't seem like there is anywhere near 500 sites worth having a account on. even half of that would be a lot.

I'm surprised some people have only 30 to 100 passwords. That boggles my mind. Makes me wonder what they do on the internet .Everything always to want an account and password.

11 minutes ago, warwagon said:

I'm surprised some people have only 30 to 100 passwords. That boggles my mind. Makes me wonder what they do on the internet .Everything always to want an account and password.

To be honest, I store around 130, but I probably have many more that I either don't store or are throwaway accounts for some site that I just wanna use once. 

If I can live without an account, I will take that option. 

I'm at 350 - 400, they are all different and made up of random gibberish.

I believe the oldest account in my password manager is the Hotmail account I created back in 1999 for MSN Messenger.

18 hours ago, warwagon said:

But many places don't require a account just to browse a site as I only get accounts for things where I need them to post stuff or buy stuff etc.

for the record... I am around the 50-60 range I think and even among those I don't use that many on a more semi-regular/regular basis as the ones I use a bit more often are probably around 20 or so.

Which is why two a unique password factor on your email is very important. Because all the reset passwords links get sent there.

Yeah.

or... without 2FA, while could be a little inconvenient, one could just setup a separate computer strictly for higher sensitivity stuff and use a separate/unique email address for the higher sensitivity stuff. so this way if your general email you typically use without 2FA becomes compromised, the damage will be limited.

Edited by ThaCrip

19 hours ago, warwagon said:

to add since I can't edit my previous post... something like YubiKey (i.e. https://www.yubico.com/ ) should be a solid alternative to the usual 2FA using a smart phone.