Xbox One: Fall Creators Update

Mike Ybarra, Corporate Vice President of Xbox Platform Engineering, discusses the next Xbox update releasing to Alpha Ring Insiders starting today. Watch the video and read his comments about the update below:

It’s an exciting day at Team Xbox as Xbox Insiders in the Alpha Ring will get a first look at the latest Xbox update. This release is the next major update for gaming on Xbox One and Windows 10 PC, and is designed to make the Xbox gaming experience more fun, personalized, and social than ever. We’ve heard feedback from our fans that they want the ability to customize Home the way they want. This new experience on Xbox One gives gamers more choice and delivers fun faster. Updates to Home, Guide and Community are available today, with updates to Avatars, Game Hubs, Profiles and more coming this fall. Windows 10 PCs will also receive updates to the Game bar and Gaming settings menu. Here’s a detailed look at some of the new features that will arrive for Xbox Insiders starting today and continuing throughout the next few months:

Customize Your Home: The first thing Insiders will notice is the new Home on Xbox One. This update is all about personalization; we’re putting the control in your hands, so that you can decide what to see when you turn on your console. The new look and feel is part of a design system called Microsoft Fluent Design; the look, feel, and movement of the dashboard has been updated to focus on speed, customization and expression—for you. Now, customize your Home screen to be uniquely yours, and view all the things you love at-a-glance. Have a favorite game or friend? Add them to Home!  Select one, press the Menu button on your controller, and select “Add to Home.”  This now creates an entire block of content that can be moved up or down—or removed altogether, should your interests or habits change. These blocks will evolve over time based on the things you like to do. For example, adding a game to your Home screen may pull in an Activity Feed post from the developer, show when your friends are playing that game online, suggest your next Achievement, and provide a quick shortcut to the Game Hub for that title. We’ll be adding additional types of content blocks in the coming months, so stay tuned for more. The team is always pushing to make the Xbox experience faster and faster. In this release, we’ve eliminated the wait between Home, Social, and My Games and Apps by consolidating them into one dashboard experience. No more splash screens means you get to fun even faster.

Continues...

Xbox One: The Creators Update

-----

Looks very customizeable and quicker, would be interesting to see how it ends up in the end. 

This looks awful :no: So many steps backward, it actually gives me a headache. What was wrong with having a 'Friends' tab like the old 360 dashboard to contain all your social needs? I don't want it littered all over my "home" page.

MS really comes across like a headless chicken with the X1 OS. Every year it's completely overhauled because they can't settle on a consistent design and we have to re-learn where features and options are hidden away in the process.

19 hours ago, Andrew said:

This looks awful :no: So many steps backward, it actually gives me a headache. What was wrong with having a 'Friends' tab like the old 360 dashboard to contain all your social needs? I don't want it littered all over my "home" page.

MS really comes across like a headless chicken with the X1 OS. Every year it's completely overhauled because they can't settle on a consistent design and we have to re-learn where features and options are hidden away in the process.

Yep, I actually quite liked one or two revisions ago layout. I hated the fact they changed the functionality of pressing the Xbox button on the controller opening the side menu instead of going home.

I've not got this yet so I'll keep an open mind but they certainly don't seem to have any good ideas with the OS this time around. The Xbox 360 dash seemed to get better each time they changed it and is one of the small reasons why I went XB1 over PS4 but so far they've not kept up with previous standards.

• Like 1

New changes to enrollment in the Insider Program:

You Asked, We Listened: Fans Can Now Opt into the Xbox Insider Program

by Todd Headrick, Principal PM Manager, Xbox Listening, Flight & Readiness Team Posted on August 9, 2017 at 8:00 am

The Xbox Insider Program is growing, and with that growth comes exciting new opportunities. Alongside our continual efforts to hear all feedback shared by the Xbox Insider community, we’re now simplifying entry into the Xbox One Update Preview rings and partnering with 1st and 3rd party studios to provide Xbox Insiders with early access to Alpha and closed Beta playtests of Xbox Live-enabled games on both Xbox One and Windows 10 PCs. This means Xbox gamers will now be able to easily opt into the Xbox Insider program and gain earlier access to the latest system updates and flighted games!

Table1.png

https://news.xbox.com/2017/08/09/fans-can-join-xbox-insider-program/

• 1 month later...

I'm actually really enjoying this update so far. At first, the additional button presses to get to Friends on the sidebar irked me as well. But the thing is, the experience is sooooo much smoother. I've got A LOT loaded on my Xbox One. So there's times that the thing just feels so sluggish like it's taking a dump. That's not the case any longer. The speed improvements, as well as more ability the customize the home screen have made this my favorite update so far.

Yeah, it's all about speed and performance with a side of customization in the mix.   Looking good, and the new light theme brings back feelings of the old 360 dashboard as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just got this rollout, brilliant. Even quicker again and can pin even more game tiles. Menu layout is much more pleasing to the eye than PS4 now and having to drop down into folders and scroll side to side. Hate change for change sake like Windows 10 but the OS has been a solid improvement since release every update.

This should help keep this topic more up to date:

Stay Up-to-Date with the New Xbox Insider Blog

by Savannah, Xbox Program Manager Posted on October 31, 2017 at 9:00 am

Hello, Xbox Insiders, and welcome to the brand-new Xbox Insider Blog! We’re pleased to announce that we’ve partnered with our friends from Xbox Wire to make sure all Xbox Insider-related news is in one convenient location. Moving forward, you can look to the Xbox Insider Blog for the definitive word on what’s new with the Xbox Insider Program.

While we have a lot of exciting content planned for the future, we’d like to take this first post to celebrate how the program has grown and continues to grow in 2017. We’ll also provide some helpful links for those of you who want to learn even more about what it means to be an Xbox Insider.

https://news.xbox.com/2017/10/31/stay-date-new-xbox-insider-blog/

Is good that they're adding gifting but I wonder if they'll ever be able to allow us to sell our digital copies of games. 

• DrunknMunky unpinned this topic