Cut My Chances and Install LineageOS Now?

I have a OP3T.

Having heard about Android O being the last major update, should I just cut the OS and install LineageOS now?  I suppose it might not really matter but I guess I may as well do it now before adding more and more customisations / apps and such.

Seems the most logical thing to do.

What's so great about Lineage OS? I have a OnePlus3T which is really buggy at times (auto closing background apps like Locale even though it is set not to). Oh, also turns itself off sometimes when connected to the car via USB3C and you turn the engine off... have to press and hold power button 5 times to turn it back on...

I'll look to change on my day off.

I can't remember if the launcher I use has the gestures (one finger swipe down shows some settings, two fingers = more settings, three fingers = screenshot) or if it's the OP3T rom.  I'll be sad to loose that.

I see LineageOS only has nightly builds for the OP3T - is there an official build?

On 14/08/2017 at 8:30 AM, Sir Topham Hatt said:

I have a OP3T.

Having heard about Android O being the last major update, should I just cut the OS and install LineageOS now?  I suppose it might not really matter but I guess I may as well do it now before adding more and more customisations / apps and such.

Seems the most logical thing to do.

To be honest, if you are looking for a good replacement for the stock OS, I'd recommend Resurrection Remix, it's the one I use (on my OnePlus 5, formerly used it on my old 3T)  and is definitely the one with the most features, the great thing about RR on the OP3/3T is that the lead developer of RR actually owns a 3T  so you get very good stable builds :

https://plus.google.com/communities/109352646351468373340

Here's the official thread on XDA :

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3/oneplus-3--3t-cross-device-development/rom-kernel-resurrectionremix-n-t3524715

It's based on LOS and isn't rooted by default, if you want root as well, it's recommended to use Magisk

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

RR also has the screen off gestures you mentioned from the stock rom and you can also customise the notification slider, even reverse the settings if you wish.

FYI, This is the lead Dev for Resurrection Remix:

https://plus.google.com/+varund7726

As I said, he does his own optimised builds for the 3/3T with additional CPU governors and other "under the hood" optimisations.

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Oo - I'll take a look at that then.

But I'm a sort of "flash it, leave it" sort of user.  I don't want to be installing new and different ROMs all the time.

Yeah I'm also considering LineageOS on my OP3. I must say that I do really like OOS though, but just knowing that it will be discontinued for the OP3/T makes me want to ditch it...

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 5:48 AM, PsYcHoKiLLa said:

RR also has the screen off gestures you mentioned from the stock rom and you can also customise the notification slider, even reverse the settings if you wish.

FYI, This is the lead Dev for Resurrection Remix:

https://plus.google.com/+varund7726

As I said, he does his own optimised builds for the 3/3T with additional CPU governors and other "under the hood" optimisations.

I switched to RR-N (from LineageOS and Dirty Unicorns) because of connectivity issues (radio issues) that it doesn't have (that DU and LineageOS both have in my area) - however, there is no official build yet (of any of them)

RR won't start the transition to O until this month's (September's) updates drop, then the final official builds for N will start being built by their maintainers (per the RR Plus page referenced above).  I'll be watching the Nexus maintainer (as I stated, it's unofficial) to see if they follow the same schedule.

LineageOS only has unofficial 15 builds for the same devices Google itself does - and I don't see them beating RR to the draw, either.

On 8/17/2017 at 3:52 AM, Sir Topham Hatt said:

I see LineageOS only has nightly builds for the OP3T - is there an official build?

LineageOS doesn't seem to be big on official builds but I have heard the nighties are pretty stable now. Will see for myself as I am thinking about installing it on my Nexus 7 to try to install breathe new life into it.

Personally, as long as a device is still getting updates by the OEM I don't bother with custom ROMs.

• Like 1

As a bit of a conclusion to this:

Installed RR after a little trouble with it giving some sort of error, then another error, but finally installed.

Took ages to start for the first time.

However, customised, installed, all lovely.

Only one, and potentially significant problem) that HERE maps doesn't work.  I've downloaded a map of the UK, but every time I go to search somewhere it'll just close.  There seems to be nothing particularly online about this specific problem so I might end up switching to Lineage anyway :(

But the circle battery with percentage in the middle - a nice touch that OnePlus took out of the 3T OOS on an update a few months back.