.iso files for Windows 10 anywhere?? (needed after trying to fix BSOD...)

Question

So my partner was having issues with her Lenovo laptop. She was getting the blue screen of death (BSOD) every so often. 

The BSOD error messages vary and the .dmp files she has sent me, I used NirSoft Bluescreenview to view them:

1. "The problem seems to be caused by the following file: NETIO.SYS"
  2. "The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP"
  3. "The problem seems to be caused by the following file: tcpip.sys DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
  4. "The problem seems to be caused by the following file: ntoskrnl.exe PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
  5. "The problem seems to be caused by the following file: hal.dll"
  6. "The problem seems to be caused by the following file: SYMNETS.SYS DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
  7. "The problem seems to be caused by the following file: pacer.sys PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"

After some googling, I tried to suggest downloading and installing some drivers. She has downloaded intel chipset drivers. She has downloaded some power management driver and also flashed a new BIOS update. Graphics card drivers appear to be up to date using the intel driver update utility. 

I then got her to use device verifier, She used it, and then got an error message which she claims was caused by FBFsmon.sys. When she tried to log in, she was not able to log in with her current password, but had to then use an older password. But when I asked her to look in the minidumps folder, there were no records of the dumps created by device verifier (according to her) and also no larger dump files in the C:\Windows folder. I got her to check that all hidden files and folders were shown and I also got her to check that Windows was creating dump files (t was). 

I asked her to do sfc \scannow in admin command prompt, but it says it finds corrupted files but cannot repair them. I then asked her to to a scan with DISM. But this then cannot find the sources. I believe this may have been due to windows update issues, so I got her to download a windows update fix utility from microsoft. It fixed two issues, but upon running DISM again, it still said she needed sources. So I got her to download the .iso from the media creation tool on Microsoft and try DISM with the command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:D:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess 

However, it says it cannot locate the .wim file. When you look in the iso (after mounting it using VirtualClone), in the sources folder, it is an install.esd file. 

She has:

version 1607
edition windows 10 home
OS build 14393.1593

Can anyone tell me where to get an .iso for this version with a install.wim to get DISM to work and fix the corruption errors? Alternatively should I try another method to repair the laptop, maybe just resetting it? 

PS: When she runs a chkdsk everything is fine. 

Edited by Zlain

7 answers to this question

Google... 3 seconds

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

BTW just install the latest version I believe 1607 had an issue with the DISM database reporting problems when there was none.

And it looks like your issues are hardware/driver related to NETIO.SYS which is part of Nvidia Network Access Manager, the onboard network card drivers install this as an optional component during install, uninstall it. Did you manually install Network card drivers or did Windows 10 do it?

Edited by xendrome

Hi xendrome I like to know where you find issue with version 1607 related Dism database

Hello,

Some Lenovo models, like recent ThinkPads, allow you to download the recover media, or have it shipped for you for free on a USB flash drive.  More information can be found here on Lenovo's support web site.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I had already tried the creation media iso from the websites you have given, it does not provide a .wim file. :(

We also tried getting the repair disc from Lenovo but it said the laptop was no longer supported (cannot remember the exact message). I'll have a read through the lenovo link anyway. 

I will take note of the dism bug on Windows 10 Anniversary. Maybe the BIOS and driver updates have fixed her issues, so we'll see. I have told her to make sure she has a backup of course anyway, so no worries there...

If she does get another BSOD I think the next best thing is to use built in Windows 10 reset and do a fresh reinstall, and then reinstall the drivers.

One think I wanted to ask is the wireless driver she has is a Qualcomm Atheros. I told her to download that driver from the Lenovo website:

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/u-series/u31-70/downloads

It also lists an Intel WLAN driver. I told her not to download this as I believed it was just a driver for laptops with an intel manufactured wireless card. Is this correct? 

that is correct Zlain.  you don't need the Intel wireless driver is there is no Intel WiFi card connected in the Lenovo laptop.

check the devices listed in Device Manager (in the Network adapters section) in Windows 10.