Sonic Mania is the highest-rated new Sonic the Hedgehog game in 15 years

Sonic Mania is the highest-rated new Sonic the Hedgehog game in 15 years

By Sherif Saed, Thursday, 17 August 2017 10:02 GMT

Sonic Mania has been well-received by fans and critics, in a way no other Sonic the Hedgehog game has in the last 15 years.

That’s according to the official Sonic the Hedgehog Twitter, who tweeted a snapshot of the game’s Metacritic page to confirm that Mania is in fact the highest-rated new Sonic game in 15 years.

The Sonic series’ Metacritic page is full of low-scoring entries. Sonic Mania currently averages a score of 86, with the Switch version sitting at 91.

If you discount the higher-than-average Switch score, Mania is currently competing with Sonic Adventure 2, which scored 89 when it released in 2001. Everything else from that moment and until now – assuming you ignore re-releases – has had a much lower score than 86.

Continues...

Got my collector's edition the other day from amazon, only to discover the PC version is delayed until the end of the month. :(

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 6:47 AM, virtorio said:

Sonic Mania is great, that said, saying it’s the highest rated Sonic game in 15 years is an incredibly low bar.

Generations was really good!  I haven’t really kept up with the series though, and don’t plan to.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've played it for a while and, yeah, it's good, in that the old games were very good and this one has pretty much the same quality as those. I figure the only reason people say it's the greatest sonic game in so long is that you can't say "it's not as good as the old ones" since it's essentially the same thing.

1 hour ago, Brys said:

Well, I've played it for a while and, yeah, it's good, in that the old games were very good and this one has pretty much the same quality as those. I figure the only reason people say it's the greatest sonic game in so long is that you can't say "it's not as good as the old ones" since it's essentially the same thing.

Sonic 4 episode 1 and 2 pretty much blew goats.  Well, 1 was playable but fugly and 2 was a bit better presented but with stupid hard bosses.  I haven't heard good things about the 3d ones either but I haven't played any of them (aside from Generations, which was a bit of everything IIRC.)

Just now, dwLostCat said:

Sonic 4 episode 1 and 2 pretty much blew goats.  Well, 1 was playable but fugly and 2 was a bit better presented but with stupid hard bosses.  I haven't heard good things about the 3d ones either but I haven't played any of them (aside from Generations, which was a bit of everything IIRC.)

thanks for the description, I haven't played those.