Orion theme updated for IPB 4.2

Today we switched over to the updated "Orion Modern" theme, which is basically the Orion style applied to a new 4.2 master theme.

The original Orion theme got so outdated with upgrades from v3.x and broke even further with the most recent 4.2.2 update.

You will see that for those that are logged in, you can switch the default forum view to default (legacy) grid and fluid:

SNAG-0036.png

The templates from the old theme didn't support this, and it would have been too much work to port everything over, given that we spotted a few mod tools were missing too.

All of the colors have been refined a bit, and for staff groups, MVCs, Veterans and Subscribers, they will get a subtle border around their posts in their group color.

I spotted a couple of bugs for guests, and I will be doing a test to see if I can apply Darkside under the new theme, if that doesn't work we will have to spend some time porting Darkside over too.

Anyway enjoy!

• Like 3

I was going to say "it is so white it can march on Charlottesville", but that would be in bad taste. Wait, I just said it. Damn.

Anyway... Generally, I like it. Header backgrounds could be a bit darker, but it does look clean.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

I was going to say "it is so white it can march on Charlottesville", but that would be in bad taste. Wait, I just said it. Damn.

Anyway... Generally, I like it. Header backgrounds could be a bit darker, but it does look clean.

It's so white, Simon Cowell needs to re bleach his teeth?

One thing I do not like about the dark them is when viewing Forums.  The unread forums are not bold enough or stick out enough to easily see what threads are read and what are not.    The text is a little bolder/brighter but does not stick out really.  The white them is easy to tell.  Maybe it is just me.....

The new Darkside theme is pretty great, but all the colors are kind of annoying. I can see highlighting the OP and maybe staff, but I've seen like 4-5 colors, and they're a little distracting. I'll probably get used to it, it's just loud.But otherwise it looks great.

Are you guys using a different font? The usernames look different, at least.

Theme feels a lot snappier! is it just me or did something happen under the hood?

Wish the colors were all over the rectangle maybe just a subtle one sided,  that said I can see the reasoning of why the whole rectangle has to be that color eg. this post came from this group

Is there anyway for reactions/quotes to be grouped into one whole tree for the notification bar?

Also member sub and other badges look badly out of place now that everything looks flat

10 hours ago, dragontology said:

The new Darkside theme is pretty great, but all the colors are kind of annoying. I can see highlighting the OP and maybe staff, but I've seen like 4-5 colors, and they're a little distracting. I'll probably get used to it, it's just loud.But otherwise it looks great.

Are you guys using a different font? The usernames look different, at least.

I will be toning down the group post highlighting borders, and we're using Open Sans font, it's highly likely that due to all the IPB updates, darkside never got updated with the proper font along the way.

16 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Which reds do you mean?

For example, notification count is red with white text. I instinctually  associate it with something negative. The red tags bug me too but not as much. It was green before. 

Red with white text for notification count is standard for iOS, if nothing else, though I don't think it fits Neowin's aesthetic. Aesthetic, the little things that take design from good to great or bad to terrible, is important to me, and I've never had a problem with notifications. Blue would probably be a better choice, maybe a muted, maybe greyish blue. Dark enough so the number stands out, but light enough so it stands out against the dark grey background.

Scratch that, it's actually not white on red on my end. I was just going off the post above mine. Honestly never thought about it enough to note what color it actually is. It's white on green on my end. That's on the dark forum and front page theme.

26 minutes ago, dragontology said:

Scratch that, it's actually not white on red on my end. I was just going off the post above mine. Honestly never thought about it enough to note what color it actually is. It's white on green on my end. That's on the dark forum and front page theme.

Yeah I wasn’t talking about the dark theme. 

1 hour ago, T3X4S said:

sniff sniff  I'll miss you most of all scarecrow minispy

RIP Mini Spy. All hail Mega Spy. Go to the top of the forums, and to the left of 'Start New Topic,' click the third box, 'Fluid.' Then go un-check the forums you aren't interested in. That part is still buggy as you can't un-check  child forums without losing the parent forum, so you will invariably get some forums you don't want. You also can't pick some child forums and not others; that isn't allowed either. So for example in gaming, I can't un-check Sony, as I have no Sony hardware. It's all or nothing.

They used to be called forum trackers. Useful on less active forums. You could see at a glance all activity on the forum, going straight back to where you last checked in. Looks like that's what the 'Fluid' view is supposed to be.