Can I still be a software engineer?

I'm 22 years old and attending community college? When I was 20 I got arrested and charged with a misdemeanor. I ended up do a pti diversion program instead of going to jail and got it expunged. I asked this question numerous of times and people have told me I have nothing to worry about, but I don't believe that. Do I really have a chance of being an engineer or is my life completely over? 

Worst comes to worse Just develop a really great app for an app store and work for yourself!:D But I don't think you have anything to worry about.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

If it was expunged, it's not on your record so how can it matter? That said, I'd not think a misdemeanor would matter anyway.

43 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Worst comes to worse Just develop a really great app for an app store and work for yourself!:D But I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Honestly if you gonna comment atleast be serious. 

1 hour ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

I'm 22 years old and attending community college? When I was 20 I got arrested and charged with a misdemeanor. I ended up do a pti diversion program instead of going to jail and got it expunged. I asked this question numerous of times and people have told me I have nothing to worry about, but I don't believe that. Do I really have a chance of being an engineer or is my life completely over? 

ex·punge

(ĭk-spŭnj′)

tr.v. ex·punged, ex·pung·ing, ex·pung·es

1. To erase, delete, or strike out: expunged their names from the list.

2. To eliminate completely; wipe out: a government's attempt to expunge dissidents. See Synonyms at erase.

You have no record if what you said is true.

On 9/2/2017 at 8:34 PM, RolloofTheNorm said:

Honestly if you gonna comment atleast be serious. 

His comment is completely legitimate.

As far as your history goes, I don't think anything would ever come of it. However, given that you thought that post was a joke I can't help but feel like you're rather disconnected with the development world just a tad.

6 minutes ago, Mur said:

His comment is completely legitimate.

As far as your history goes, I don't think anything would ever come of it. However, given that you thought that post was a joke I can't help but feel like you're rather disconnected with the development world just a tad.

Many people are until they get into it. Those first 6-12 months really thicken the skin. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/09/2017 at 3:24 AM, RolloofTheNorm said:

You can be anything you want, as long as you're willing to put in the hard work necessary to achieve it.

As for your misdemeanour... Others have already commented on that; expunged means gone.

You shouldn't worry.  My brother spent 6 months in prison and is now a purchasing manager for a VERY large banking corporate.

I manage an IT department for a large law firm, and if someone had done something as small as you - I wouldn't even query it.  Heck, I have had a caution.

Be all that you can, my friend!

• 2 weeks later...

Bit late of a post but since I study as a Software Engineer currently I thought I would be on topic to anyone who's in a similiar situation and reads this thread,

While most of my class mates are between 20-25, I also have a lot of class mates that are between 30-40 and they do just fine, they do even better since they're not as lazy :p

As for prior experience, most of my class mates came from multiple failed studies, different countries and quite a few have some pretty bizarre histories before ending up in IT.

If everything fails, you can still give IT studies a try I would say :laugh:

And your life is not over, it actually just started.

I'm 22 myself and currently at the my 2nd year of my studies as Software Engineer.

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/2/2017 at 7:24 PM, RolloofTheNorm said:

You should be fine.  The only case I can see it being an issue is if you're working in cloud services and something comes back on a background check.  I don't know if it would if it was expunged.

I hope you realize that by posting your question on this thread, you have inadvertently created a permanent, indelible record of your criminal history.

Any personnel manager who runs a name check on RolloofTheNorm is going to see this and toss your resume in the garbage.

Your only hope now is to change your name from RolloofTheNorm to something else, via deed poll.

Edited by Shiranui
  • Haha 3

On 19/09/2017 at 3:20 PM, Nefarious Trigger said:

I manage an IT department for a large law firm, 

You learn something new every day! noted! ;) 

• Like 1

If expunged, you have no record of anything, not to mention you can only go PTI if it was non-violent, so you're hardly a hardened criminal. Software developers are usually judged by their merits and potential above other things. So get stuck in, knuckle down and you'll be fine. Good luck.

OP hasn't been back since September 2d ... so locking the thread considering it has been abandoned.  If OP wants it unlocked...please PM me.

• Jim K locked this topic