Has Photoshop lost its way?

Looking at the below image, the left was edited using Corel's new Paint Shop Pro 2018 edition.  The left was Photoshop CC 2017.

Untitled.jpg

Both used "auto" settings for white balance and exposure, etc.  The base image was a raw file.

I always find Photoshop gives a warmer and brighter image, many times over exposing.

So while one costs much less than the other, is it purely the brand that is keeping it afloat?

1 minute ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

So while one costs much less than the other, is it purely the brand that is keeping it afloat?

Pretty much yes... it's known as industry standard so it will take a while to drop off, but there are far better tools out there. I get Photoshop free with work but rarely use it, I prefer Affinity Photo/Designer.

I've also got my eye on Pixelmator Pro which looks like it will take Photoshop to the cleaners.

It's a dated, bloated mess in my opinion.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Looking at the below image, the left was edited using Corel's new Paint Shop Pro 2018 edition.  The left was Photoshop CC 2017.

Do you mean the left was Corel and the right was Photoshop?

I'm not sure if Photoshop has lost its way, but in recent years the other image editing suites have caught up with the functionality of Photoshop while offering these features for a cheaper price. Although it should also be noted that for the price you pay for the Adobe Suite you get over 20 different applications.

• Like 1

Yeah, sorry, got them mixed up.

I get really sad as I grew up on Paint Shop Pro and found working with it easy.  Tried to move to Photoshop and got really annoyed as the simplest of tasks took an age to figure it out.  I only use it now to edit RAW files.

Might take a look at the others mentioned though and maybe ditch Photoshop as I don't use any of the other programs.

I personally use photoshop for a lot of web/graphic design work that often has little to do with photos. Frankly, most of the reason I still use it is the $10/mo price tag and the fact that I'm way more familiar with the interface than other image editing applications.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

Yeah, sorry, got them mixed up.

I get really sad as I grew up on Paint Shop Pro and found working with it easy.  Tried to move to Photoshop and got really annoyed as the simplest of tasks took an age to figure it out.  I only use it now to edit RAW files.

Might take a look at the others mentioned though and maybe ditch Photoshop as I don't use any of the other programs.

It's been a while since I've used something other than PicPick (mainly because I just take quick screenshots these days that only require minor manipulations,) but you could look in to trying Paint.Net or GIMP. They're all free options for personal use.

PhotoShop did not lose it way. Its just expensive when you compare with other programs that are almost as good but much cheaper

Lost its way based on auto settings for white balance and exposure? I would think that this auto just scans the image and tries its best to find a setting the developers programmed based on the input from experts. Different programs will have different ways to calculate what they think is the best settings. 

• Like 1

Adobe as a whole has lost its way in my opinion.

1 hour ago, ACTIONpack said:

PhotoShop did not lose it way. Its just expensive when you compare with other programs that are almost as good but much cheaper

Compitition is good for the consumer. Price match or die.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2017 at 5:15 AM, Fedr0 said:

ITS, not it's. I expected more of you, Mister Fat Controller.

Last I checked "it is' Is abbreviated "it's".. Have you millennials switch to phonetic spelling as well?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, JoseyWales said:

Last I checked "it is' Is abbreviated "it's".. Have you millennials switch to phonetic spelling as well?

The problem is the thread title. Has Photoshop lost its way? vs Has Photoshop lost it is way?

Plise, correct me if I'm worng 

I don't get the sarcasm in the quoted text if there is supposed to be one. I admit to have my tiniest hat on this hour and it's pressing down hard on my glorious head.

@Sir Topham Hatt I appreciate the thread. It gives some great insight. Don't take my text above this one for more than a friendly jab at another Neowin member. 

On 9/29/2017 at 2:40 PM, JoseyWales said:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/it-s-or-its

The meaning of "its" in the title is a possessive determiner between "photoshop" as possessor and "way" as possession, so it's not an abbreviation of "it is" with a typo.

Let's not argue about English spelling all day but instead setup our spelling checkers properly in our browsers :D

@Sir Topham Hatt Fixed the title :yes:

On 9/12/2017 at 2:37 PM, satukoro said:

I personally use photoshop for a lot of web/graphic design work that often has little to do with photos. Frankly, most of the reason I still use it is the $10/mo price tag and the fact that I'm way more familiar with the interface than other image editing applications.

I use Gimp in combination with Inkscape instead for that use case scenario, I don't need fancy filters, I'll just blur a darkened duplicate of a layer to create a shadow instead :p

• Seahorsepip changed the title to Has Photoshop lost its way?

I figured.. I'm just busting your chops a bit

allan.nyholm quoted you in a topic: Has Photoshop Lost It's Way?
1 hour ago

w. I couldn't resist..

Depends on your demands from such an application.

I have tried most of the premium programs out there, and the options available to me in Photoshop are worth the money I spent (cs6) 

I tried recreating one of my bigger projects in paintshop pro, and personally found the 64 bit version would crash if a project was over 800MB in disk size, and if I remember correctly, when using more than 12gig of my ram.

On 9/29/2017 at 2:40 PM, JoseyWales said:

Millennial? FFS, I am a Gen X! :rofl:

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/09/2017 at 8:37 AM, satukoro said:

Honestly you don't really need Photoshop for web design these days. You can get both Affinity Designer and Photo for around 100$. That not even one year of Photoshop.

+1 for Affinity Photo, it's just as feature-rich as Photoshop and much better value for money. I am still feeling my way around its UI after a decade of PS, though.

No it has not. But Other programs has gotten better and can be as good like Affinity Photo. The price tag is no longer just of what other programs can do now.

• 3 weeks later...

Plenty of online retailers offer PS6 standalone for about 100  bucks these days. Back in the day I would just install and use the 30 day trial, clean the reg and then reinstall it whenever I needed it again months later.. It's nice having a license now even though I still don't use it all that often. At $100 it made it worth the buy for me.. I would rather have the stand alone as well, can't stand subscriptions..

The issue here is the word "auto". It just a standard in photoshop nothing more. If you know how to use photoshop and I mean more then just the "auto" options. You can get amazing results.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/09/2017 at 10:16 AM, Nick H. said:

Do you mean the left was Corel and the right was Photoshop?

I'm not sure if Photoshop has lost its way, but in recent years the other image editing suites have caught up with the functionality of Photoshop while offering these features for a cheaper price. Although it should also be noted that for the price you pay for the Adobe Suite you get over 20 different applications.

The problem is that it is a payment that needs to be kept being paid, since there is no way to buy photoshop outright. a friend of mine uses Photoshop and illustrator and it is cheaper to rent the whole package than just those two,   so she have to pay for a load of stuff she do not use, what is the sense of that?

She have looked at Affinty photo by serif and she thinks it is great and  their designer software, the problem is people are snobs and they expect her to use Photoshop to do their projects.  £50 a month is a fair bit to give out for software she do not use.

• Like 1