Win 7 "BlueScreen" crashes

My OS is windows 7.

I have been experiencing frequent "bluescreen" crashes. This usually occurs several minutes after bootup. I uninstalled some unused software, but that did not help.

here is data that may help in resolving the problem:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:    116
  BCP1:    FFFFFA800DFAD010
  BCP2:    FFFFF8800F7BAE2C
  BCP3:    0000000000000000
  BCP4:    0000000000000002
  OS Version:    6_1_7601
  Service Pack:    1_0
  Product:    768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\091117-18564-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Howard\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-80106-0.sysdata.xml

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Download and run http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed Who crashed. You run it and it analyzes the DMP files and tries to tell you which file it bsod'ed on. If it's the same file over and over great. But sometimes it just gives you generic files which still doesn't tell you much.

You may also want to run Memtest... to check your ram

You might also want to check the smart data of your hard drive using this program...

https://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

Looking for any "Current Pending Sectors" or "Sector Relocation count"

• Like 2

7 hours ago, warwagon said:

Download and run http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed Who crashed. You run it and it analyzes the DMP files and tries to tell you which file it bsod'ed on. If it's the same file over and over great. But sometimes it just gives you generic files which still doesn't tell you much.

You may also want to run Memtest... to check your ram

You might also want to check the smart data of your hard drive using this program...

https://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskInfo/index-e.html

Looking for any "Current Pending Sectors" or "Sector Relocation count"

Thanks - I'll do as advised, but not sure how I would fix anything wrong that may be found.

I just experienced TWO of these crashes. It appears to happen just after opening Facebook.

Here is the data from the last crash:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:    BlueScreen
  OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033

Additional information about the problem:
  BCCode:    116
  BCP1:    FFFFFA80092964E0
  BCP2:    FFFFF8800F754E2C
  BCP3:    0000000000000000
  BCP4:    0000000000000002
  OS Version:    6_1_7601
  Service Pack:    1_0
  Product:    768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
  C:\Windows\Minidump\091117-16972-01.dmp
  C:\Users\Howard\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-67922-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
  C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

A lot of BSODs are driver related.  WE had issues after the last round of MS updates at work.  Nothing major, but several PCs started getting BSODs.  May want to look at updating the Video and Chipset Drivers.  May not be a bad idea to update Audio as well.  Log files didn't make it to clear at work so we started with updating those drivers and have not heard of any more issues

8 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Run whocrashed and the take a photo and post it.

Crash Dump Analysis
Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Mon 9/11/2017 7:51:37 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091117-16972-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x153E2C)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA80092964E0, 0xFFFFF8800F754E2C, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\nvlddmkm.sys
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 332.35
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 332.35
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 332.35 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: NVIDIA Corporation VIDEO_TDR_ERROR

crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (0xFFFFF8800F754E2C)
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 332.35 , NVIDIA Corporation).

On Mon 9/11/2017 7:45:41 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091117-16333-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x153E2C)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8006B854E0, 0xFFFFF8800F819E2C, 0x0, 0x2)

On Mon 9/11/2017 12:26:21 PM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091117-18564-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800DFAD010, 0xFFFFF8800F7BAE2C, 0x0, 0x2)

On Sun 9/10/2017 10:07:38 AM your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091017-13868-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA800721D010, 0xFFFFF8800F7A6E2C, 0x0, 0x2)

Conclusion
7 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 5 are included in this report. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 332.35 , NVIDIA Corporation)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

^

So go to nvidia.com and update your video drivers.

28 minutes ago, techbeck said:

A lot of BSODs are driver related.  WE had issues after the last round of MS updates at work.  Nothing major, but several PCs started getting BSODs.  May want to look at updating the Video and Chipset Drivers.  May not be a bad idea to update Audio as well.  Log files didn't make it to clear at work so we started with updating those drivers and have not heard of any more issues

And i didn't even need to look at the log files    :p

Edited by techbeck

47 minutes ago, Howard Davis said:

This always happens upon my opening Facebook.

There could be some video acceleration taking place as it play's all the lovely videos which start to auto play in the news feed.

Contacted NVIDIA - downloaded and installed the correct driver. All seems fine today!

The file they sent was a humongous one - around 600M. Turns out most of it was things I did not want - a video game "GeForce Experience" and something called "3D vision."

Can I uninstall these without endangering the new driver?

Again, thank you all for your expert advice!

9 hours ago, Howard Davis said:

Contacted NVIDIA - downloaded and installed the correct driver. All seems fine today!

The file they sent was a humongous one - around 600M. Turns out most of it was things I did not want - a video game "GeForce Experience" and something called "3D vision."

Can I uninstall these without endangering the new driver?

Again, thank you all for your expert advice!

You should be able to uninstall those. Nvidia.com may have a package that is not as bloated.  Last time I DLed drivers from their site, was only about 250mb.

Geforce Experience is not a "video game". It's optional software used to adjust card settings based on games the user plays. If you don't need it don't install it (and you likely don't).

The 3D Vision Driver isn't something you're gonna need either, most likely. Don't have to install it either.

And the fact you were using a driver that's many years old and you're only recently getting BSOD's? Consider yourself fortunate, and I hope the new driver treats you better.

Thanks again, experts! I intend to uninstall the unneeded software from NVIDIA.

I experienced a black-screen crash yesterday even with the new driver installed, again on Facebook, but no problems today. I notified Facebook of the issue, which I'm thinking more and more is their fault. A friend's Samsung smartphone sometimes crashes on Facebook. From WhoCrashed I see the NVIDIA driver is again blamed for this black-screen crash.

I informed NVIDIA and they sent me new instructions, which would be very time-consuming to perform, for downloading and running in safe mode a display driver uninstaller, then downloading and installing another driver. This all may be unnecessary if Facebook is at fault and/or I have no issues elsewhere.

I would be more inclined to think it is the browser/plugin and not just Facebook.  And if the crash points to nvidia, then probably still an video issue.  Do what nvidia says and  run the uninstaller.  Wont take as long as you thing.

The vast majority of bluescreens are hardware related.

Oh poor Facebook and NVIDIA getting support requests like that!

Facebook serves up web pages! They can't possibly be at fault for anything. The web page is displayed by the Browser which could be hard on your computer depending on how the browser software manages things. All modern browsers default to accessing the GPU for 3D acceleration and video acceleration etc and that is most likely why the crashes are happening in the NVIDIA driver.

But that is unlikely to be the root cause. 

1. Most likely problem: bad hardware. from "Dust Bunnies" to actual failing hardware.

2. Secondary problem: All Device Drivers on computer out of date. Updating video driver is good, but lots of other ones are vital to a functioning computer.

3. Third level: Out of Date Browsers and other user level software. Make sure you are using latest Firefox or Chrome or Vivaldi etc.

when you go to install any nvidia driver, via GFE or via their website, pick the custom option and you can untick GFE, 3D vision and anything else you dont require, also tick "clean installation" 

whenever I update any chipset driver, BIOS or other components driver, i usually reinstall the NV driver also, same with any major Windows updates that affect direct components the GPU interacts with.

Thanks for the advice.

Yesterday all was OK, but today, another blue-screen crash on Facebook. It ALWAYS happens on Facebook:

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\091117-16972-01.dmp

I ALREADY replaced that driver, but the issue was not resolved by doing so. I DID do a custom install with "clean installation."

Is there any way to determine what if any hardware is causing this? I am not an expert, and though an analog circuit design engineer, I do not work on digital equipment such as computers.

My McAfee LifeSave also failed recently, and largely due to slow download speed it took McAfee and me over an hour to replace it. I just do not have the time and patience to nurse a bad computer. My Dell is just over 3 years old. Time for a new computer, perhaps?

17 minutes ago, Steffan said:

Did you update the BIOS to the latest version?  Did you uninstall the previous nVidia driver from Programs and Features?

HOW does one update the BIOS? As I said, I am not an expert. It would cost $100, but I am tempted to call in a tech that has helped me before.

Now I am experiencing blue-screen crashes every time I go to Facebook, and never under any other circumstances. If this was a hardware problem, why this?

I assumed the previous NVIDIA driver was uninstalled as part of the clean installation of the replacement. Here is my NVIDIA systems information:

GPU processor:        GeForce GT 720
Driver version:        385.41
Direct3D API version:    11
Direct3D feature level:    11_0
CUDA Cores:        384
Core clock:        967 MHz
Memory data rate:    2002 MHz
Memory interface:    64-bit
Memory bandwidth:    16.02 GB/s
Total available graphics memory:    4096 MB
Dedicated video memory:    1024 MB DDR3
System video memory:    0 MB
Shared system memory:    3072 MB
Video BIOS version:    80.28.56.00.01
IRQ:            Not used
Bus:            PCI Express x8 Gen3
Device Id:        10DE 1286 108710DE
Part Number:        2130 0004

[Components]

nvui.dll        8.17.13.8541        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdplcy.dll        8.17.13.8541        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdbat.dll        8.17.13.8541        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvxdapix.dll        8.17.13.8541        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
NVCPL.DLL        8.17.13.8541        NVIDIA User Experience Driver Component
nvCplUIR.dll        8.1.970.0        NVIDIA Control Panel
nvCplUI.exe        8.1.970.0        NVIDIA Control Panel
nvWSSR.dll        6.14.13.8541        NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvWSS.dll        6.14.13.8541        NVIDIA Workstation Server
nvViTvSR.dll        6.14.13.8541        NVIDIA Video Server
nvViTvS.dll        6.14.13.8541        NVIDIA Video Server
NVSTVIEW.EXE        7.17.13.8541        NVIDIA 3D Vision Photo Viewer
NVSTTEST.EXE        7.17.13.8541        NVIDIA 3D Vision Test Application
NVSTRES.DLL        7.17.13.8541        NVIDIA 3D Vision Module
nvDispSR.dll        6.14.13.8541        NVIDIA Display Server
NVMCTRAY.DLL        8.17.13.8541        NVIDIA Media Center Library
nvDispS.dll        6.14.13.8541        NVIDIA Display Server
PhysX        09.17.0524        NVIDIA PhysX
NVCUDA.DLL        6.14.13.8541        NVIDIA CUDA 9.0.163 driver
nvGameSR.dll        6.14.13.8541        NVIDIA 3D Settings Server
nvGameS.dll        6.14.13.8541        NVIDIA 3D Settings Server

How to update your Dell BIOS: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln284433/what-is-bios-and-how-to-update-the-bios-on-your-dell-system?lang=en

By doing the clean install on nVidia, it should remove the previous drivers first.  Which browser are you using?  Have you tired a different browser?

1 hour ago, Steffan said:

How to update your Dell BIOS: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln284433/what-is-bios-and-how-to-update-the-bios-on-your-dell-system?lang=en

By doing the clean install on nVidia, it should remove the previous drivers first.  Which browser are you using?  Have you tired a different browser?

yep update BIOS if there is a new revision and reinstall Nvidia drivers. 

On dells its so easy, download the latest bios via entering your dell service tag, the downloaded bios updater will tell you current BIOS Rev and the new rev supplied with the updater. 

5 hours ago, Howard Davis said:

Now I am experiencing blue-screen crashes every time I go to Facebook, and never under any other circumstances. If this was a hardware problem, why this?

1. It is not Facebook. Get that one out of your head. Facebook is a clue perhaps in the sense that something connected to displaying the Facebook web page stresses your computer.

2. Do all the easy generic stuff people have suggested. Dell makes it super easy to update BIOS and sometimes their driver downloads are also current enough to be worth trying so review all drivers listed for your Service Tag.

3. Get latest Intel Chipset drivers direct from the Intel site.

4. Open your case and clean out all the "Dust Bunnies" with a can of compressed air. Clear the CPU cooler fins. Clear the mobo power supply area near the CPU. Use the long straw to blow into the main PSU. Do NOT let the compressed air spin any fans.

5. Unplug and forcefully re-plug your video card and RAM - sometimes they vibrate a bit loose over the years...

6. I really hate the often told myth that a virus is the cause of slow downs and Bluescreens because it is very rare, but sometimes that is actually the case. The "only on Facebook" crash is suspiciously like a badly coded Trojan lurking for Identity Theft. So run a couple of alternative virus scans from one of the vendors listed on av-comparatives.org to get a "Second Opinion" - ignore "Cookie Warnings" the dirty underbelly of the anti-virus business...

7. If all else fails either do the free Windows 10 update or else do a Windows 7 "Refresh" which will rescan all your hardware.

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

6. I really hate the often told myth that a virus is the cause of slow downs and Bluescreens because it is very rare, but sometimes that is actually the case. The "only on Facebook" crash is suspiciously like a badly coded Trojan lurking for Identity Theft. So run a couple of alternative virus scans from one of the vendors listed on av-comparatives.org to get a "Second Opinion" - ignore "Cookie Warnings" the dirty underbelly of the anti-virus business...

Amen! In my 14 years + of computer repair, everyone blames everything on a virus

1) I can't print, I think I have a virus

2) My computer won't turn on I think I have a virus

3) Windows won't boot I think I have a virus

4) I can't open my email, I think I have a virus

5) My computer just says "shutting down" I think I have a virus.