Just wondering, since it's illegal in some states to feed the homeless, how would this effect disasters?

Some states have made it illegal to feed the homeless (along with other laws to make it hard to be homeless), how does this work for people who have been made homeless through a disaster, like now, the hurricane? 

7 minutes ago, papercut2008uk said:

Some states have made it illegal to feed the homeless (along with other laws to make it hard to be homeless), how does this work for people who have been made homeless through a disaster, like now, the hurricane? 

It's not illegal to feed the homeless.  And to my knowledge it wasn't whole states that passed this, but dozens of cities.  You can still feed homeless but it may require a permit.  

On 9/14/2017 at 4:00 PM, papercut2008uk said:

Times of disasters, these rules do not apply. 

2 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

.. Why would anyone make it illegal to give food to someone, especially if they're homeless?  Is charity now a crime? :o

Something to do with making sure the food is safe, dont want people to get sick...and of course because people do not want them around.   From what I saw, about 70 cities prohibit feeding homeless unless it is in a proper facility.

I am intimately familiar with the homeless population were I live given my job as a ED nurse. I cannot support a ban on feeding them, it is not in any way a good policy. However, I do support an absolute ban on providing them cash or valuable tradable goods. Food, clothing, etc are important, but the other will be traded for drugs leaving nurses and doctors with the aftermath usually consisting of needing to Narcan patients all the time. Or my other favourite, draining abscesses from heroin needles (needle programs have helped but you would be shocked by how many don't bother to get new needles because they are literally too impatient to wait to get to the supply place.).

• Like 1

Even if it were illegal, which I doubt...an emergency like that would more than likely cause a state of emergency, with the relevant support and aid being sent.

On 9/19/2017 at 9:13 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

Well, perhaps the cities banning it should actually do something about the problem?  In such a rich society, actually having ANYONE be homeless is just shameful.

The cost of living in some areas is insane.  And frankly, this is America.  We don't care about the poor.  We just pretend we do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

The cost of living in some areas is insane.  And frankly, this is America.  We don't care about the poor.  We just pretend we do.

Depends on what you mean by we.  My family has done a lot of the poor and unfortunate.  Government, that is a diff story.

10 hours ago, dwLostCat said:

Your out of touch if you think that situation describes even 95% of the homeless. Poverty exists sure and many live in it, but being completely homeless for long periods of time is in just about every situation related to substance abuse.