Apps freezing in Windows 10 when clicking on a hyperlink

As title, whenever I click on any link in Edge or any modern app in Windows 10 (like Skype or Slack) it will freeze and the CPU will go right up with State Repository Service appearing to be the culprit.

I have updated all my drivers and I have the latest Nvidia driver installed too. The worst thing is I was on the Fall Creators Update with no problem and only getting these problems with a clean install. I don't know what to do because this is my work PC and well, I need it to work.

Capture.PNG

Being that it is only on a clean install, I wonder if it could be a NIC driver issue...

have you tried stopping and restarting the service "State Repository Service"?

It could also be caused by items that depend on that service, namely AppX Deployment Service (appXSVC) & Tile data model server.

might be worth also trying under an adm cmd prompt

sfc /scannow

it could also be a flakey clean install......have you tried resetting windows (telling it to keep your apps and settings) since clean install (sounds a bit backward i know, but ive seen it fix really quirky issues like this before)

2 hours ago, Mando said:

have you tried stopping and restarting the service "State Repository Service"?

It could also be caused by items that depend on that service, namely AppX Deployment Service (appXSVC) & Tile data model server.

might be worth also trying under an adm cmd prompt

sfc /scannow

it could also be a flakey clean install......have you tried resetting windows (telling it to keep your apps and settings) since clean install (sounds a bit backward i know, but ive seen it fix really quirky issues like this before)

Tried everything you suggested except resetting windows. I actually got fed up and clean installed the Creators Update (ver 1703) and that has no problems :| I will just wait for the Windows Update to kick in then I guess and see if everything keeps working. This is annoying though because it means I can't easily clean install to the latest Windows 10 version should things screw up down the line.

I also tried installing the Realtek NIC vendor software (Asus) over the FCU one and rebooted, and that didn't help either.

My motherboard is an ASUS H87-Plus intel Core i5-4440 Haswell / 16GB DDR3 RAM / GTX 1050Ti

Is it too old?

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

Tried everything you suggested except resetting windows. I actually got fed up and clean installed the Creators Update (ver 1703) and that has no problems :| I will just wait for the Windows Update to kick in then I guess and see if everything keeps working. This is annoying though because it means I can't easily clean install to the latest Windows 10 version should things screw up down the line.

I also tried installing the Realtek NIC vendor software (Asus) over the FCU one and rebooted, and that didn't help either.

My motherboard is an ASUS H87-Plus intel Core i5-4440 Haswell / 16GB DDR3 RAM / GTX 1050Ti

Is it too old?

nah still new enough. I upgraded a 2006 lenovo i7 ulv nps (X201)

Found this thread through a careful combination of words input into google search because I have the exact same issue. Just did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Updated it and all of the drivers. Now I'm having the exact same issue. Clicking on links in whatever app, be it Discord or Steam, causes said app to hang up and the links to show up a minute or two later.

My guess it must be something to do with Windows Defender. Anyways, I'll let you know if I'm onto a breakthrough of sorts.

20 minutes ago, Novacaine said:

Found this thread through a careful combination of words input into google search because I have the exact same issue. Just did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro. Updated it and all of the drivers. Now I'm having the exact same issue. Clicking on links in whatever app, be it Discord or Steam, causes said app to hang up and the links to show up a minute or two later.

My guess it must be something to do with Windows Defender. Anyways, I'll let you know if I'm onto a breakthrough of sorts.

Many thanks (Y) For now I have clean installed ver 1703 (Creators Update) and do not have the issue on the earlier Windows 10 version. Have also not been offered the Fall Creators Update on Windows Update yet, but I did upgrade to it through Insider builds with no issues before clean installing yesterday and getting the problems you and I have.

My problem seems to have gone away for now (hopefully forever!). I've approached the problem from a few different angles. Oddly enough, resetting my router did the trick. I also disabled my Wi-Fi. Not sure how much that helped.

1 minute ago, Novacaine said:

My problem seems to have gone away for now (hopefully forever!). I've approached the problem from a few different angles. Oddly enough, resetting my router did the trick. I also disabled my Wi-Fi. Not sure how much that helped.

I don't even have Wi-Fi on this system. By resetting the router, do you mean turning it off at the router and on again (completely bypassing Windows)?

Did you install an alternative AntiMalware? (I didn't try installing MalwareBytes on the previous clean install) since Windows Defender may have been getting in the way, I wonder if it is some smartscreen crap at OS level?.

50 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Did you install an alternative AntiMalware? (I didn't try installing MalwareBytes on the previous clean install) since Windows Defender may have been getting in the way, I wonder if it is some smartscreen crap at OS level?.

Have you tried turning it off to see if that solves it?

Also did you get the latest CU update?

4 hours ago, Steven P. said:

I don't even have Wi-Fi on this system. By resetting the router, do you mean turning it off at the router and on again (completely bypassing Windows)?

Bitdefender free and webroot (paid) both work perfectly fine with the latest update.

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

It upgraded fine, just like all the Insider builds did too. So something happens with clean install to break stuff :( 

yaaay Mr P is ok :D 

glad to hear it buddy, im wagering a flakey Win install last time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Steven P. said:

The router, I completely shut it off for a couple minutes and turned it back on. As for AntiMalware. I tried installing AVG antivirus, but the problem persisted. So I uninstalled it.

Anywho, I'm glad everything worked out for you in the end. By the way, my Windows version is 10 Pro 1709 OS build 16299.19. I just made the USB install stick the moment before I attempted to reformat, so I think it had the newest build.

• 2 months later...

Hey guys,

Having the same issue and looking for answer the whole day and I think I found it and just wanted to share it here because I lost so much time trying to figure this out! :)

You just need to repair and reset Edge and that's it. 

Hope this will save someone a bit of time! 

Cheers
Repair-or-Reset-Edge-browser.png

1 hour ago, SealedSenses said:

Hey guys,

Having the same issue and looking for answer the whole day and I think I found it and just wanted to share it here because I lost so much time trying to figure this out! :)

Cheers

Thanks mate, but how did you find this out? Interesting fix. I might backup this PC to an image and give it clean install another go :p

8 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Thanks mate, but how did you find this out? Interesting fix. I might backup this PC to an image and give it clean install another go :p

dont you dare lol :p all that bitching ALL over again :woot:

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 9:25 AM, Steven P. said:

Is it too old?

Mine would be  as old as yours. Mines an H97M-E which is also socket 1150. But I'm using 32 GB and onboard video.

Running Win10 as well. Everything is fine so far.

Only prob that I did have (I think it was an update, but I dont know which one) the wifi kept disconnecting on me for some reason

After a full wipe / clean install. It decided to behave itself

On 1/4/2018 at 3:01 PM, SealedSenses said:

Hey guys,

Cheers
Repair-or-Reset-Edge-browser.png

I can confirm this fix is working on Windows Update 1709!
Kudos for sharing, Can't explain the amount of hours I spent ripping my hair out over this.