Have I deleted my colleague's data?

Today at work this really strange thing happened to me.

My colleague asked me to install on her laptop an SSD and copy all of her data from the old HDD to the new installation.

After finishing the installation of Windows on the SSD  and installing all of the software, drivers etc, I had started to copy all of her data from the HDD to SSD using an external HDD USB box. The location where I was copying her data was on C:\backup btw.

Meanwhile while the copying process was running, I had moved some installation files and drivers to the Recycle Bin and when I emptied the Recycle Bin to my surprise I had seen around 17GB of her data deleting on the Empty Recycle bin dialog!

When I realized that it was emptying her data, I had immediately stopped the process but 8GB of her data were already gone.

I checked the remaining files on the recycle bin and the original location of the deleted items were on C:\users\user but the HDD was registered as a D: drive!

Is it possible that Windows synced the old HDD's Recycle Bin with the new installation ? That's the only thing that I can think of atm. I never moved her data on the Recycle bin to start with!

• 3 months later...
29 minutes ago, virtorio said:

Try an undelete/file recovery tool ( such as Recuva - https://www.piriform.com/recuva ) to get the files back

If he hasn't recovered the data since being deleted in October, I don't think it was important enough to recover.

8 minutes ago, markjensen said:

If he hasn't recovered the data since being deleted in October, I don't think it was important enough to recover.

Indeed.

I broke Forum Rule #1 - always check the date of the thread.