PC Build Opinion Wanted as a double check before purchasing

Hello,

I wanted some second opinions regarding a 1080p gaming build before I purchase it. My budget is about $1100. I already have a monitor, a 500GB ssd, a mouse and keyboard.

I haven't done this in quite a while and I'm a bit out of practice with consumer electronics and gaming performance. My goal is 60fps @ 1080p for pretty much anything.

If you see where I might be able to save some money and/or get the best performance for my money, I'd love to hear about it.

So far, my cart is as follows:

• Corsair 400C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

$79.99

• MSI B350 TOMAHAWK AM4 Motherboard
    $99.99

• Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-650FX PSU
    $89.99

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700 YD1700BBAEBOX
    $299.99

• XFX Radeon RX 580 RX-580P8DFD6
    $289.99

• Corsair Air Series AF120 (twin pack)
    $18.59

• G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600), 16-18-18-38
    $192.60

Total: $1071.14 through Newegg

If you see anything that doesn't make sense, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Removed 3rd party protection plans per recommendation

Swapped out Ryzen 5 1600 for Ryzen 7 1700

Edited by satukoro

The protection plans don't make a whole lot of sense as those parts all have their individual warranties that should cover most issues within those same 3 years. The only thing they don't typically cover is overclocking which you shouldn't need to do anyways.

Drop those and that's almost $100 more you can sink into something else.

I would highly recommend you get rid of the MSI motheboard and go with this: ASUS Prime B350M-E AM4 it will be the same price except no rebate, but Asus has far superior customer service and products, MSI has a very horrible track record with RMA's. One other thing you should consider is getting a Blu-Ray drive. Also just like @trag3dy said, you do not need extended protection plans (unless you plan on keeping the MSI board). The motherboard I showed you is the same price on Amazon as it is on Newegg.

2 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

The protection plans don't make a whole lot of sense as those parts all have their individual warranties that should cover most issues within those same 3 years. The only thing they don't typically cover is overclocking which you shouldn't need to do anyways.

Drop those and that's almost $100 more you can sink into something else.

That brings me down to $971.14
I can get a Ryzen 7 1700 for an additional $100 over the Ryzen 5 1600.

Is the bump in processing speed worth the money?

1 minute ago, satukoro said:

Yes!

7 minutes ago, satukoro said:

Probably. Especially if you want to play the newest games.

Edited by trag3dy

Another thing to consider would be getting a decent surge protector or better yet a UPS. This is really important for the long term health of your pc and something most people overlook. Do not go with a cheap surge protector, especially if power is unstable where you live like it is where I live.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I would highly recommend you get rid of the MSI motheboard and go with this: ASUS Prime B350M-E AM4 it will be the same price except no rebate, but Asus has far superior customer service and products, MSI has a very horrible track record with RMA's. One other thing you should consider is getting a Blu-Ray drive. Also just like @trag3dy said, you do not need extended protection plans (unless you plan on keeping the MSI board). The motherboard I showed you is the same price on Amazon as it is on Newegg.

My only worry about downsizing to a µATX board is heat dissipation and the option of fitting more components.

What do you think of the following: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132988

14 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

Another thing to consider would be getting a decent surge protector or better yet a UPS. This is really important for the long term health of your pc and something most people overlook. Do not go with a cheap surge protector, especially if power is unstable where you live like it is where I live.

I have a few decent surge protectors and I have some APC CS 350s at work that are up for grabs when we replace them, so I'm not too worried about this aspect.

23 minutes ago, satukoro said:

+1 for this, single warranty. Decently built system, $250 less. Has an M2 slot, so a Samsung 960 EVO/PRO would be good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, xendrome said:

+1 for this, single warranty. Decently built system, $250 less. Has an M2 slot, so a Samsung 960 EVO/PRO would be good.

Based on the Q/A for that item, people are saying it has somewhere between a 375w - 470w psu in addition to very few 80mm fans and a cpu cooling unit that isn't the wraithspire one included in the ryzen 7 I picked out. Also the best buy unit has 2400MHz RAM, and people are saying the case is on the small side.

In the interest of cooling, a proper psu and expandability, I'm still leaning towards my amazon cart @ $1079.00

Then again, I'd love to be proven wrong.

You can get a much better build if you are not too picky about brands

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($284.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: *Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB TURBO Video Card  ($499.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill - 550W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan  ($18.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1080.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-16 14:45 EST-0500

8 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

You can get a much better build if you are not too picky about brands

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($284.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: *Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: *Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB TURBO Video Card  ($499.89 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake - Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Rosewill - 550W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan  ($18.49 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1080.32
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-11-16 14:45 EST-0500

Brands are another thing I've been out of practice with. How important are brands when picking parts in this case? The main difference I see is that I end up with a 1080 for pretty much the same price (which is incredible).

5 minutes ago, satukoro said:

Brands are another thing I've been out of practice with. How important are brands when picking parts in this case?

Not that important.

I just read reviews and if the product has good reviews, I would buy it.

31 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Not that important.

I just read reviews and if the product has good reviews, I would buy it.

I plan on getting everything through amazon to make things a bit easier (especially with prime and financing). I went somewhere in the middle after looking at your recommendations. Thanks for your help!

Just to double check, is this RAM compatible with this MOBO?

This is where I'm at right now:

image.thumb.png.ea6b58bf43d8889175fe1856e807aad3.png

18 minutes ago, satukoro said:

I plan on getting everything through amazon to make things a bit easier (especially with prime and financing). I went somewhere in the middle after looking at your recommendations. Thanks for your help!

Just to double check, is this RAM compatible with this MOBO?

This is where I'm at right now:

image.thumb.png.ea6b58bf43d8889175fe1856e807aad3.png

Well, generally, you have to shop around to get the best prices.

Looking at my part list (click on each parts and you can see each of the vendors that sell them), you can see that you can get motherboard, memory, case, and power supply from Newegg and everything else from Amazon.

So, you are looking at <$300 up front from Newegg and the rest, you can get from Amazon with financing.

And yes, all the parts are compatible.

19 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Well, generally, you have to shop around to get the best prices.

Looking at my part list (click on each parts and you can see each of the vendors that sell them), you can see that you can get motherboard, memory, case, and power supply from Newegg and everything else from Amazon.

So, you are looking at <$300 up front from Newegg and the rest, you can get from Amazon with financing.

And yes, all the parts are compatible.

Holy crap, using this method brings the price down to $876.51 which is a much nicer price than what I had initially.

Thanks for your help! This will probably be the setup I end up with.

7 minutes ago, satukoro said:

Holy crap, using this method brings the price down to $876.51 which is a much nicer price than what I had initially.

Thanks for your help! This will probably be the setup I end up with.

You're welcome.

nice choice of case mate i have the same one :) 

do yourself a favour though, pick the AF quiet series fans and replace the 140 and 120mm that comes with it to the same ones you buy, they full speed AF noisey mofos that come with the case.

16 hours ago, Mando said:

nice choice of case mate i have the same one :) 

do yourself a favour though, pick the AF quiet series fans and replace the 140 and 120mm that comes with it to the same ones you buy, they full speed AF noisey mofos that come with the case.

So you're saying I should double down on these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6S13DE

Thanks for the tip!

2 hours ago, satukoro said:

So you're saying I should double down on these? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F6S13DE

Thanks for the tip!

yep, the case can hold 2x120s or 2x140s up top, a 120 at rear and 3x120 front or 2x140 front. I went corsair AIO liquid CPU cooler 115i (2x140mm double rad) which fits into the front nicely.

It has 3x 2.5" ssd bays on rear of motherboard tray and with 2.5-3.5" adapters you can squeeze in 3 in the 3.5" hdd bay in the bottom of the case under the shroud.

I have 6 SSDs in the 400C all hidden from view, including the cabling.

1 hour ago, Mando said:

yep, the case can hold 2x120s or 2x140s up top, a 120 at rear and 3x120 front or 2x140 front. I went corsair AIO liquid CPU cooler 115i (2x140mm double rad) which fits into the front nicely.

It has 3x 2.5" ssd bays on rear of motherboard tray and with 2.5-3.5" adapters you can squeeze in 3 in the 3.5" hdd bay in the bottom of the case under the shroud.

I have 6 SSDs in the 400C all hidden from view, including the cabling.

That's awesome and reassuring. I was a little tentative when picking out a mobo + case. I wanted to make sure everything I need will fit with plenty of room for upgrades.

I'm gonna end up getting a third set of these fans and fill up all the slots I think.