Can't download anything on Windows 10 Edge

Just got a new computer with Windows 10 and already having issues. Can't download a single thing using Edge or directly from the store. Had to find IE to download Palemoon and Chrome so I could actually do something on this thing. Have done searches for this issue and there are a ton of results but nothing I've tried has worked.

So, how do you actually use Edge for something besides just browsing?

Thank you

What happens when you try and download something? I've used Edge plenty of times on fresh installs to download Chrome or Firefox (actually, that's all I've ever used it for).

FWIW,

I solved the issue but I don't remember exactly which system file it was I had to delete, but after deleting it and rebooting, i could then install an adblocker from the store, although ublock origin and adblock plus don't really look like they're doing anything. No, I don't have them both installed at same time either. When I opened ublock, none of the tabs would open for me to do anything and ABP doesn't show the number of things it's blocked.

As far as what happens it just tells me failed to download.

As soon as I get that computer setup the way I want it so wife can use it, you can bet your butt I'll be dual booting that thing and NOT using that crappy OS very much!

Here's what it was that I had to do:

Navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb
 Delete DataStore.edb file from there.
Reboot

Not taking back to store, yet, as everything is running good now. Didn't get it from a local store anyway but have a couple years to break it and get it replaced!!

• Like 2

Post back if it does, please.

Not sure if this might be of assistance, but do you have a Microsoft account already and if so, have you signed into it and then tried downloading anything? I'm  pretty sure I had signed into my account before trying to download anything, but curious if that has anything to with this issue. Wouldn't really think so after seeing so many results when searching for this issue. I know I hadn't signed into my account when first turning computer on and it asking me to do so.

On 11/17/2017 at 8:49 PM, cork1958 said:

Just got a new computer with Windows 10 and already having issues. Can't download a single thing using Edge or directly from the store. Had to find IE to download Palemoon and Chrome so I could actually do something on this thing. Have done searches for this issue and there are a ton of results but nothing I've tried has worked.

So, how do you actually use Edge for something besides just browsing?

Thank you

I've had this issue with various machines after first setting it up. Usually, after I install Windows updates to get it up to date, it works again.

My machine wouldn't even install Windows updates either!

Speaking of that, does it really take as long to install those as what my machine took yesterday to get something like 7 updates?  I think it took like 2 hours to download and install them. Half the reason I left Windows 7 and switched to Linux right there!! One of those updates was a "feature" update, which I'm sure was pretty big, but sheesh, 2 hours? I think that feature update was a People thing which I have no use for either!!

On 11/23/2017 at 6:41 AM, cork1958 said:

My machine wouldn't even install Windows updates either!

Speaking of that, does it really take as long to install those as what my machine took yesterday to get something like 7 updates?  I think it took like 2 hours to download and install them. Half the reason I left Windows 7 and switched to Linux right there!! One of those updates was a "feature" update, which I'm sure was pretty big, but sheesh, 2 hours? I think that feature update was a People thing which I have no use for either!!

If you "switched" to linux, I am shocked you are surprised about why the update took so long. If you use Linux, you are aware of how Linux updates itself. Windows 10 is not like Windows 7 or other older versions. Windows 10 is a psudo rolling release. That is, there is no longer expected to be any more standalone versions of the OS. The "feature update" you got was essentially the latest stable full OS version. So you didn't just update. You did a full system upgrade, which required downloading a whole OS image in the background, and install the OS and migrate your data and apps.

If you know about Ubuntu releases, you know that they are versioned by year dot month, for example Ubuntu 16.10 and 17.04. Similarly, being a psudo rolling release, Windows 10 OSes are released every 6 months, with the latest being 1709. It is likley when you did the update, you got the 1709 release, as your PC shipped with an older OS.

When Windows 7 or XP updated, it just downlaoded updated DLLs and EXEs to patch the OS. With Windows 10 feature updates, you get a new system image and you do a full on upgrade and migration. This is expected to go on indefinitely. I.e. there will no longer be Windows 11, and you will update to the latest release of Windows, for free, for indefinitely. Hope this helps.

Yep, that helped big time! Since I had posted asking that, I have been doing some digging around on my machine and the net and was thinking that was what happened. I saw there were actually several "new" things installed besides that People feature.

Being used to how Linux updates/upgrades though, that was still slower than all get out and absolutely ridiculous. I installed AND updated the Linux install on that machine in half the time that thing took to do.

Hadn't ever played around to much on Windows 10 before getting this machine and am still getting used to where everything is, but wow, I don't see how anyone thinks this is a great OS?