Essential phone?

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge with the Essential brand cell phone? I know that it is created by the founder of Android, so that in and of itself would seem to make it a decent phone, however it has a price tag of $450 which puts it in line with the newer phones such as Samsung, etc. and I have not heard anything good or bad about it.

I like it. I plan to get that phone or iPhone X soon.  

I have iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone SE for now.  6 plus is used for texting and web... SE is used for camera since it has 128gb. :) 

I've been looking at the Essential Phone. It had a rough start but things seem to be smoothing out.  I too am looking to replace my current phone and have considered the Essential. Right now I am swaying to the OnePlus 5T because I like the slightly larger AMOLED screen (the Essential is still regular LCD). That said, the native android on the PH1 is inviting...  Both are 499.00 unlocked so for me its a difficult choice and either one would be nice bump up. I had an original  OnePlus One 1 years ago and found it to be a very good phone (however others didn't).  OnePlus isn't known for stellar customer support so that's a factor, but as a new startup, I can't say Essential is really in any different a position. As a previous OnePlus user, picking the 5T, I'll be going into it with that understanding. This is Essentials first go and while Andy Rubin has an unquestionable history with Android, that doesn't mean he can run a company making phones. 

I'd say if you are considering an Essential, you should at least consider the OnePlus 5T. I think both are really good devices for the price.

6 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

I've been looking at the Essential Phone. It had a rough start but things seem to be smoothing out.  I too am looking to replace my current phone and have considered the Essential. Right now I am swaying to the OnePlus 5T because I like the slightly larger AMOLED screen (the Essential is still regular LED). That said, the native android on the PH1 is inviting...  Both are 499.00 unlocked so for me its a difficult choice and either one would be nice bump up. I had an original  OnePlus One 1 years ago and found it to be a very good phone (however others didn't).  OnePlus isn't known for stellar customer support so that's a factor, but as a new startup, I can't say Essential is really in any different a position. As a previous OnePlus user, picking the 5T, I'll be going into it with that understanding. This is Essentials first go and while Andy Rubin has an unquestionable history with Android, that doesn't mean he can run a company making phones. 

I'd say if you are considering an Essential, you should at least consider the OnePlus 5T. I think both are really good devices for the price.

I am considering a few different phones at this time, and I have not 100% decided on what phone to order.

1 hour ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I am considering a few different phones at this time, and I have not 100% decided on what phone to order.

I thought you wanted to spend less?

I would get one plus 5t. even if the founder is android it does not garantee that the company can even stay afloat.

1 hour ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

even if the founder is android it does not garantee that the company can even stay afloat.

You never know..   Google was trying hard when they announced their first phones with their brand new OS...  Remember people were scared of Google that Google's staff was profiling everybody..  Now, Google got massive userbase with their flagship phones.

Essential may be able to grow the userbase like Google did.  

We will see how it goes in the next 2 years. Remember the phone is new which no one know of.  It could take awhile before they go on. If they see their sales go down, they will announce on what to do next such as change plans or close their doors.