Calculating a car's average annual mileage

A car was built in November 2012.

By May 2017, it had done 46,500 miles.

Is there a way to calculate a rough annual mileage, without having a mileage reading in November 2017?

Just now, Tidosho said:

Divide the mileage by the total years of it's age? 46,500 divided by 5 = 9,300

There's a 6-month gap, that's all I was thinking about. Could make a decent difference in the overall number.

Assuming the car was built on 15th of november 2012, and the read it has been 1858 days or 5.09041095890411 years. Divide 46,500 by that you will have your answer.

EDIT: read it again.

1643 days between nov 15th and may 15. or 4.501369863013699 years

Just now, Elliot B. said:

There's a 6-month gap, that's all I was thinking about. Could make a decent difference in the overall number.

Without knowing the up-to-date mileage it's hard to calculate correctly, so I went off the value you knew

1 minute ago, d4diesel said:

Assuming the car was built on 15th of november 2012, today it has been 1858 days or 5.09041095890411 years. Divide 46,500 by that you will have your answer.

That's to today; but the last mileage figure I have is from 7 months ago.

Hi.

The following calculations will give you some rough ideas about the mileage of the car for today.

From production ( November 2012 ) to May 2017, the car made 46,500 miles.

From production to May 2017, there passed about 54 months, roughly.

If you divide 46,500 miles by 54 months, it is about 860 miles per month of car driving.

From production to December 2017, there passed 61 months. Therefore, Multiply 860 miles per month by 61 months and you get 52,460 miles.

So the car mileage will be 52,000 miles now, roughly, if the driving habits of the driver were not changed in the last six months.

• Like 2

Just now, suat.cini said:

Hi.

The following calculations will give you some rough ideas about the mileage of the car for today.

From production ( November 2012 ) to May 2017, the car made 46,500 miles.

From production to May 2017, there passed about 54 months, roughly.

If you divide 46,500 miles by 54 months, it is about 860 miles per month of car driving.

From production to December 2017, there passed 61 months. Therefore, Multiply 860 miles per month by 61 months and you get 52,460 miles.

So the car mileage will be 52,000 miles now, roughly, if the driving habits of the driver were not changed in the last six months.

Boom, what a legend!

Thank you for your time! :)

2 hours ago, Elliot B. said:

Boom, what a legend!

Thank you for your time! :)

Hahaha, legend? It was another wild unrealistic estimate! :laugh::laugh: How long is a piece of string? :wacko:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, suat.cini said:

Or if it was a different driver completely... Or that the we assume the same person drove it from when it was purchased to when the mileage was record in may of 2017.  How long did it sit on the lot when it was built in nov 2012?   For all we know the car wasn't driven at all until say May of 2016.. Or it was owned by some old lady that only drove it 2 miles to church every other Sunday.. So maybe the 46500 miles were put on it 1 year..   If we then assume the same driver from May to Nov of 17 with same driving habits maybe its got 70K on it now..

Maybe the drive got a new job end of may with a 200 mile commute every day? etc. etc..

Im with Tidosho here

7 hours ago, Tidosho said:

How long is a piece of string?

There is too much assuming going on here to make any sort of accurate guesstimate.

Maybe the car broke down and didn't even get driven from may to nov - so its got 46501 on it? ;)

• Like 3

In this country (UK) we now have a public MOT record system, and every time a vehicle has an MOT (every 12 months when it is over 3 years old) the mileage is recorded. For all the cars I checked, and I checked my own plus randoms using registration numbers, NONE of them had consistent mileage everytime the MOT was in every 12 monthly period.

Average in this case is impossible. Length of a piece of string?

15 hours ago, BudMan said:

Or if it was a different driver completely... Or that the we assume the same person drove it from when it was purchased to when the mileage was record in may of 2017.  How long did it sit on the lot when it was built in nov 2012?   For all we know the car wasn't driven at all until say May of 2016.. Or it was owned by some old lady that only drove it 2 miles to church every other Sunday.. So maybe the 46500 miles were put on it 1 year..   If we then assume the same driver from May to Nov of 17 with same driving habits maybe its got 70K on it now..

Even if we assume the same driving habits it may be that the mileage is season (i.e. there's a lot more driving done in the run up to Christmas). The only way to calculate the mileage is to have all the figures and driving habits, which are lacking here. As you say, this is a pointless exercise that is likely to be inaccurate.

maybe its just me but theres too much thinking going on :)

To date to year of manufacture divided by total miles driven so far, that ill give you an average mileage per year, multiply that by age of car, bingo. Thats as close as your going to get. E.g. my 2006 civic has just hit 110k miles, so 110,000 divided by age of car (11 years) works out as an annual average mileage of 10k a year.

Servicing isnt just by miles, its time and/or miles. So if it requires servicing every 6000 miles for example, manufacturers state 6k service or 6 months. so even though the cars only doing say, 6000 a year (so 3000 in the 6 month period), it should still be serviced every 6 months, whichever is reached sooner (time or miles).

As average annual mileage is calculated usually at 12k a year.

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-status

https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

Simply enter your reg and your MOTs will be in there, it goes as far back as 2005.