Cannot get Windows Update in Windows 7 to run.

I setup a new PC running Windows 7 Pro. Everything was running fine, but when I attempted to run Windows Update there was a red X and said Windows could not be updated. I ran the Fixit from Microsoft and it solved the issue and I was able to update Windows. Fast forward a month and again I went into Windows Update and that Red X was back. This time when I clicked on update there was a message that Windows could not be updated because the Windows service was disabled and that I should restart. I restarted and that didn't fix it, so I went to services.msc and to Windows Update and it was stopped. So I enabled it, restarted and still could not update and got the same Windows service is disabled message. I went back to look and the windows update service was enabled. I ran the Fixit again and it said the issues were fixed so I restarted and STILL cannot update.. So what is the next step? Could a program break Windows update? I'm at a loss.

• 1 month later...

This issue is a very old issue and MS is aware of it but they won't do anything in terms of fixing it for the user. They want people to move to Windows 10. You need to install

Update for Windows (KB3135445). As this update goes some way to resolve the issue. I am not sure but there are three more KB updates you will need to install in order to get the updates working. If you can't do it than give MS call centre a call and they would pass you on to a call centre in delhi India and they will take care of it. But I must warn you the updates which you will need are more than 3gb as there are so many updates which you will need to install to have your windows up to date after this problem is sorted. I did a format and went to Windows 7 Ultimate about a year ago and boy it took me  days to get the Windows up to date and I am on 200mb connection. If I do now format  my pc than I would go to Windows 10 as the updates and the sizes for Windows 7 IS staggering.  MS won't do a another service pack for 7 as they want people to move to windows 10. So the route is a tough one if you have done a clean format with Windows 7. Try erpster3 suggestion is well. GOOD LUCK.