New Swedish law: sex without clearly worded or demonstrated consent is rape

Swedish PM backs new law meaning sex without clearly worded or demonstrated consent is rape

New law means prosecutors will no longer have to prove violence or threats to secure a rape conviction

The Swedish Prime Minister has backed calls for a sexual consent law which will mean more rape and sexual assault cases can be prosecuted.

Under the proposed law, if a person has not agreed in words or clearly demonstrated they want to engage in sexual activity, then forcing or coercing them into a sexual act will be illegal.

Current Swedish law means what is classed as “rape” covers a multitude of sexual offences but it has to be proven it occurred because of threats or violence.

The proposed changes, which are likely to be legislated for next year, will mean sexual acts will be deemed rape whenever consent was not given regardless of whether there is any evidence of threats or violence.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/sweden-rape-law-consent-new-pm-backing-stefan-lofven-a8117471.html

Like Trump, Sweden is also beyond satire.

Under the proposed law, if a person has not agreed in words or clearly demonstrated they want to engage in sexual activity, then forcing or coercing them into a sexual act will be illegal.

How is that different from before?  Also, still going to be a he said/she said situation.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 8:40 PM, seta-san said:

Like Trump, Sweden is also beyond satire.

How is this be a bad thing according to you? You do understand that this law makes it illegal to have sex to a sleeping individual, talking someone into doing something they don't want, taking advantage of someone who's drunk etc?

I don't see how this is a bad thing, please explain

2 hours ago, You'realmostthere! said:

How is this be a bad thing according to you? You do understand that this law makes it illegal to have sex to a sleeping individual, talking someone into doing something they don't want, taking advantage of someone who's drunk etc?

it takes all the romance out of romance. it's all pointless anyway because if a woman wants to be vindictive she can still ruin you. You could bring a notarized contract signed by both people saying they consent to sex to court.... but all she has to do is say that in the middle of it she withdrew her consent and you're still in the same place as if no contract existed.  

I hope people remember these laws are  coming around BECAUSE of idiots who have abused this issue.  They are aimed at predators to make prosecution possible,  where is before, it was impossible under the law. Like most things, it shouldn't have to come to this, but sadly, given the world in which we live it makes it seem necessary. I speculate enforcement of this law will be extremely rare and only used when required in clear cut cases.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seta-san said:

it takes all the romance out of romance. it's all pointless anyway because if a woman wants to be vindictive she can still ruin you. You could bring a notarized contract signed by both people saying they consent to sex to court.... but all she has to do is say that in the middle of it she withdrew her consent and you're still in the same place as if no contract existed.  

So touching a woman/man without consent is romance now ? 

If you have "romance" then you're obviously in one way or another in a situation where you know you have consent or it's given without words through visual cues or demeanor. 

8 hours ago, You'realmostthere! said:

The bold part is what will cause trouble due to what's known as retroactive regret or regret "rape"; 

someone does the deed, then later has second thoughts and takes it out on the other party rather than accept their own level of responsibility.

5 hours ago, HawkMan said:

So touching a woman/man without consent is romance now ? 

If you have "romance" then you're obviously in one way or another in a situation where you know you have consent or it's given without words through visual cues or demeanor. 

stopping to constantly ask permission and fill out paperwork isn't romantic. i think people know when consent is being given without a word said. 

10 hours ago, seta-san said:

stopping to constantly ask permission and fill out paperwork isn't romantic. i think people know when consent is being given without a word said. 

Maybe you should stop and read the article, or hell, the title...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

"clearly demonstrated" is clearly vague. What does this mean, exactly?

well there are interpretstional situations. and then there's waiting naked in bed.

clearly demonstrated depends on the situation naturally. But most people who have had a gf or even a one night stand would recognize signals.

this law doesn't change anything, it's basically a rewording of existing laws specifically for sex...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jason S. said:

"clearly demonstrated" is clearly vague. What does this mean, exactly?

I'm sure it's written that way to cover more occasions where it may be applicable instead of listing each one. I can think of hundreds of different cases where this law may be used when in fact, as someone else wrote, it's tragic that it has come to this. If someone is drunk, you make out and start to touch him\her and get no sexual response, that's no consent to keep on touching him\her. Sadly, some don't see it that way and keep at it anyway. I'm sure that you don't have to clearly, verball,y state "Yes, you can touch my penis", but there has to be something kind of sexual connection.

As of now it's more like "if you don't say no or make it clear that you don't want to, it's not unlawful". This law seems to flip the table. I'm having a hard time seeing it as a bad thing

On 15/01/2018 at 2:21 AM, seta-san said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with the proposed law. If you believe so, I'm sorry.