Wired Mouse doesnt work on startup

Hey guys, after some update, my microsoft sidewinder x4 wired mouse, for some odd reason, does not work upon start up and will only start moving after a couple of minutes, sometimes 1 minute, sometimes 5. However the laptop pad does work at start up. Cant really say when this started, all I know is it was after a windows update.

This is a asus laptop GJ750X  windows 10 home 64 bit 10.0 build 16299.

dxdiag stats:

USB Devices
-----------
+ USB Root Hub (USB 3.0)
| Vendor/Product ID: 0x8086, 0x8C31
| Matching Device ID: USB\ROOT_HUB30
| Service: USBHUB3
| Driver: USBHUB3.SYS, 12/10/2017 13:22:34, 555416 bytes

+-+ Microsoft Hardware USB Mouse
| | Vendor/Product ID: 0x045E, 0x0724
| | Location: Port_#0003.Hub_#0003
| | Matching Device ID: usb\vid_045e&pid_0724
| | Service: HidUsb
| | Driver: hidusb.sys, 9/29/2017 07:41:08, 40960 bytes
| | Driver: hidclass.sys, 9/29/2017 07:41:08, 187392 bytes
| | Driver: hidparse.sys, 9/29/2017 07:41:08, 45568 bytes
| | Driver: coin95ip.dll, 1/7/2014 08:52:24, 2276560 bytes
| | 
| +-+ HID-compliant mouse
| | | Vendor/Product ID: 0x045E, 0x0724
| | | Matching Device ID: HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_MOUSE
| | | Service: mouhid
| | | Driver: mouhid.sys, 9/29/2017 07:41:08, 32768 bytes
| | | Driver: mouclass.sys, 9/29/2017 07:41:08, 57240 bytes

I found this in system logs, maybe its related?

"

The local adapter does not support an important Low Energy controller state to support peripheral mode.  The minimum required supported state mask is 0x491f7fffff, got 0x1fffffff.  Low Energy peripheral role functionality will not be available.

"

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="BTHUSB" />

<EventID Qualifiers="32773">34</EventID>

<Level>3</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2018-01-03T00:15:31.868984100Z" />

<EventRecordID>761</EventRecordID>

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>NorthernStar</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data />

<Data>0x491f7fffff</Data>

<Data>0x1fffffff</Data>

<Binary>00000000030028000000000022000580000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000</Binary>

</EventData>

</Event>

All USB peripherals do a power negotiation on startup or when plugged in to talk the CPU into providing the full power the device needs.

This might be in that area. Things tro try as a test:

1. plug into a different port

2. Add a USB HUB that is externally powered with a wall brick.

3. Turn off any power save and management options under USB and System in Device Manager - usually a TAB on far right. (the Windows Update might have gone more aggressive on power saving which is not agreeable to older hardware)

4. Allow for chance your hardware is failing.

• Like 2

If you know roughly when it happened, go into windows updates and sort by date installed and see if there is anything there that might affect it (hardware driver or update that affects USB devices etc) and get rid of it and test?

Also test the mouse on another machine make sure it works fine.

14 hours ago, DevTech said:

All USB peripherals do a power negotiation on startup or when plugged in to talk the CPU into providing the full power the device needs.

This might be in that area. Things tro try as a test:

1. plug into a different port

2. Add a USB HUB that is externally powered with a wall brick.

3. Turn off any power save and management options under USB and System in Device Manager - usually a TAB on far right. (the Windows Update might have gone more aggressive on power saving which is not agreeable to older hardware)

4. Allow for chance your hardware is failing.

1. already trried

2. will do

3. did that just now, disabled  "USB selective suspend"  , will see how t hat goes

4. see below

14 hours ago, HoochieMamma said:

If you know roughly when it happened, go into windows updates and sort by date installed and see if there is anything there that might affect it (hardware driver or update that affects USB devices etc) and get rid of it and test?

Also test the mouse on another machine make sure it works fine.

Just tried it in another windows 10 machine, same issue, doesn't work for an odd minute or so, then comes on fine . But yeah, highly considering its time to replace, it is after all around 10ish years old :laugh:

well, tried mouse in another windows 10 machine 3 so far. Disabling usb selective suspend is the only way.  

Tried on windows 7 no issue. So definitely a windows 10 issue, that and probably drivers are obsolete :laugh:

• Like 2

Might be related to Asus Ai-Suite 3.

Had a friend with an Asus who installed the latest Update patch from Microsoft and after restarting he could type in his password and after that, his keyboard would die. In his case, it ended up being a compatibility with the old version of ASUS A-Suite. So maybe pertains to you as well

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98800 <---- Download link

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Might be related to Asus Ai-Suite 3.

Had a friend with an Asus who installed the latest Update patch from Microsoft and after restarting he could type in his password and after that, his keyboard would die. In his case, it ended up being a compatibility with the old version of ASUS A-Suite. So maybe pertains to you as well

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?98800 <---- Download link

will check if I have this installed! thanks about to give up too !

Just now, warwagon said:

Any luck?

Haven't been paying attention to my computer, been to busy baking! Making my own breads now!  Tonight ill give it a go!

On 1/24/2018 at 10:01 AM, warwagon said:

Any luck?

Well got around to looking for anything AI suite related, nothing to be found, imma guess it's  time for a new mouse

On 1/24/2018 at 4:02 PM, Draconian Guppy said:

Haven't been paying attention to my computer, been to busy baking! Making my own breads now!  Tonight ill give it a go!

are you stating your a masterbaker? :p hehehehehe 

20 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

of course my norse :shifty:

Norse! Norse you say, how dare you! :p 

The Norsemen (or the Romans for that matter) never got anywhere near this far North East of Scotland TYVM! 

The vikings hit the west coast of the UK, im east coast. The ancient Picts made sure of that ;o) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picts

The Aberlemno standing stones in the article are in a village next to my home town :p im slap bang in old Pictish territory. (Circin) predating the Gaels of Alba.

Thats where the blue faces come from, it wasnt William Wallace ala Braveheart nonsense.

One of their deities, is a half dog, half serpent, biting its own serpents tail, keep meaning to get that as a tattoo to remind myself when im old and wrinkly, where my roots are.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mando said:

Norse! Norse you say, how dare you! :p 

The Norsemen (or the Romans for that matter) never got anywhere near this far North East of Scotland TYVM! 

The vikings hit the west coast of the UK, im east coast. The ancient Picts made sure of that ;o) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picts

The Aberlemno standing stones in the article are in a village next to my home town :p im slap bang in old Pictish territory. (Circin)

Thats where the blue faces come from, it wasnt William Wallace ala Braveheart nonsense.

One of their deities, is a half dog, half serpent, biting its own serpents tail, keep meaning to get that as a tattoo to remind myself when im old and wrinkly, where my roots are.

imma just leave this here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_during_the_Roman_Empire  :shifty:

1 hour ago, Draconian Guppy said:

thats not this part of Scotland ;) we have pictish forts all over the place, they got their asses kicked at the Battle of Aberlemno ;) in Strathmore. < region i live.

The romans couldnt wipe out the picts and later the Gaels, and built Hadrians wall to keep us out of their territory :p west coast up towards Invernesshire sure, but not the East

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mando said:

thats not this part of Scotland ;) we have pictish forts all over the place, they got their asses kicked at the Battle of Aberlemno ;) in Strathmore. < region i live.

The romans couldnt wipe out the picts and later the Gaels, and built Hadrians wall to keep us out of their territory :p west coast up towards Invernesshire sure, but not the East

Are you saying wikipedia is not a trustworthy source to argue about history.

Scotland during the Roman Empire refers to the protohistorical period during which the Roman Empire interacted with the area that is now Scotland, 

Edited by Draconian Guppy