All in one printer with available compatible ink

I'm looking to replace my ageing MX700 printer. It works absolutely fine but with Windows 10 I cannot scan via my network. I'm now looking for a good all in one wireless printer that I can get reasonably priced compatible inks.

I found a Canon Pixma TR8550 which suited me down to the ground but paying over £100 for a ink set soon stopped me in my tracks! 

Looking for some good advice on which one to get.

Thanks  

You look at a laser printers? Color or Monochrome?

I have this one. (out of order, but will give you an idea)

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828142955

Their ink (really, just like sand) lasts a long time.  I ordered this back in Jan 2016, and I never had to replace the toner.

It is monochrome, but it has wireless, ethernet, and printer, scanner, and FAX.

• Like 3

Depends if you need color or black and white. If all you need is black and white then a laser printer is a great way to go.

Laser printers don't use ink at all, but something called Tonner. Which in comparison to ink doesn't dry up if not used for a long period of time. It's Also cheaper.

But if you really want an inkjet, i've heard good things about the Epson ecotank printers. 

https://epson.com/ecotank-super-tank-printers

• Like 2

HP and Epson all in ones...normally only last a year or two.  Never had an all in one last more than a couple years.  At least not recently.

I would get a laserjet if you do not need color.  More reliable and will last a lot longer.  I have laserjets that are several years old that work great.   You can get color laserjets starting at about $150.   But if you do not need color, just get a BW printer.  I used to use color a lot printing photos but now, I just sent to my local photo processing place and pic them up an hour later.  Cheaper.

Do you need official ink or are you happy with the supposed sub par ink from 3rd party retailers? 

You can normally get way cheaper ink from eBay that's just as good for everyday use. 

• Like 1

My Epson wireless all in one is pushing 4 years old now, never had any issues with the printer not using compatible ink cartridges, you'll get a warning on the screen and via the companion app, but that's about it.

2 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

My Epson wireless all in one is pushing 4 years old now, never had any issues with the printer not using compatible ink cartridges, you'll get a warning on the screen and via the companion app, but that's about it.

I think HP may have blocked the use of 3rd party cartridges for a short time, before pulling/rolling back the update. Now all you get is the message that you mentioned.

• Like 1

I do need colour as I printed the occasional photo etc so I'd rather stay with inkjet colour. I'm quite happy using 3rd party inks as that is all I have ever used in my mx700 and I think it must be a good 7 years old now. It works perfectly bar the network scanner. This is a known problem with Windows 10.I've set myself a budget of about £130 to get one. I'm not too fussed if it has built in fax or not as I very rarely fax. 

Thanks so far

1 hour ago, andru said:

I printed the occasional photo

Do you not have a store you can print these 2 right up the street?  You can do it online and pick them up in an hour.. Or just stop in and print them right... I just does not make cost sense to print photo's at home unless its your hobby or something.

Your going to get a better print, at a fraction of the cost at your local drug store or big store, etc. You can print photo's anywhere these days.  And shoot if you can wait a day or so you can have them delivered to your door for like a buck.. I just do not get why anyone would want to print photo's at home.. When you take into account the cost of the paper and ink, etc.

I print color now and then - but just use color laser since its so much cheaper than inkjets. Any photo's I print at local store or just have delivered..

2 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

I think HP may have blocked the use of 3rd party cartridges for a short time, before pulling/rolling back the update. Now all you get is the message that you mentioned.

You can also get refill kits that use the existing cartridge.  Or at least you could at one time.  Never worked to well.

5 minutes ago, BudMan said:

I print color now and then - but just use color laser since its so much cheaper than inkjets. Any photo's I print at local store or just have delivered..

(Y)

I do prints at work as well.  My job allows a certain amount.  Nothing crazy.  Letter here or there, maps if I am going some place and do not have good cell reception.....

I use Walgreens a lot for photos.  They are everywhere.  When I lived in AZ, I sent pics to local Walgreens in IL and had family pick them up locally.  Saved on mail costs and time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, andru said:

I'm looking to replace my ageing MX700 printer. It works absolutely fine but with Windows 10 I cannot scan via my network. I'm now looking for a good all in one wireless printer that I can get reasonably priced compatible inks.

I found a Canon Pixma TR8550 which suited me down to the ground but paying over £100 for a ink set soon stopped me in my tracks! 

Looking for some good advice on which one to get.

Thanks  

"but with Windows 10 I cannot scan via my network"

You have a printer you are perfectly happy with right now!

Why not focus on the scanning issue?

40 minutes ago, DevTech said:

"but with Windows 10 I cannot scan via my network"

You have a printer you are perfectly happy with right now!

Why not focus on the scanning issue?

Never thought of that, Dev... If your printer is going OK, why not just get a separate scanner?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Never thought of that, Dev... If your printer is going OK, why not just get a separate scanner?

Yes, if he purchased a new scanner designed for Windows 10, it might improve his scan quality while at the same time leaving his working printer and ink configuration untouched.

From a quick search I get the impression that the scanners on "all in one" devices are cheaply implemented and don't properly provide a network protocol so that the scanner function is buried in the printer's device driver interface. So I like the idea of a separate scanner just to avoid those inelegant stinky design choices.

This FlexiHub product that I know nothing about seems to make an interesting "patchwork glue" solution to the problem. 

https://www.flexihub.com/how-to-share-scanner.html

The canon is a good buy,

A cheap color laser is an hp477fnw, if you want duplex hp477fdw.

Best price I saw was last year around $315 USD.  Right now they are at $350.  You can use inktechnologies and pick up toner fairly cheap (as cheap as ink) https://www.inktechnologies.com/hp-laserjet-pro-m477-toner-cartridges

toner doesn't dry up, but 3rd party toners in hp don't always give the best results (color bleed, ghosting, etc).  Something to consider, a set of 4 toners can last on average 10 reams of paper vs 1-2 with ink.