Blooper reels (how not to rocket)

^ Best. Top Gear. Episode. Ever!

Now, if it's rocket failure's you want (missiles are rockets too!), then I think North Korea will provide endless hours of laughter...

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Vanguard TV3 (TV3 as in Test Vehicle Three) ... made it about 4 feet up.  The Vanguard TV3 satellite survived the explosion being thrown some distance ... damaged but still intact and functional.  It is now at the Smithsonian.  

A19761857000CP02.thumb.jpg.dd0b8664cd7285975bd2afc25189f87b.jpg

Orbital Sciences Antares, launching Cygnus ORB-3 to ISS with logistical payloads.

Launch site: Mid-Atlantic Regional Spaceport (MARS) at  Wallops Island, Virginia

40+ year old surplus Russian NK-33 rocket engines, originally designed as an upgrade for the N1's NK-15 engines. Poorly stored etc. then some debris in a propellant line sealed its fate. Orbital then moved on to new RD-181 engines.

• 3 months later...

Happened today ...

"The launch of what would have been Japan’s first privately developed rocket to reach outer space failed Saturday after it burst into flames just seconds after liftoff from Hokkaido."

• 5 months later...

Looks like you guys have covered the main ones.

While I was looking for a particular one, I came across this "rocket attack failure. It is a bit off topic but worth it...just turn down the "chant tunes"

I laughed so hard..I was hoping there was a series on this.

This is an ISIS propaganda video on launching small hand rockets. It immediately reminded me of the three stooges and there leader as a multi personality enthusiast with a glued on plaid beard.

This is so bad/funny that I have a hunch that this must have been staged...this is just too funny to be real.

8 hours ago, Beittil said:

That banner text, haha. Liberation Army Against Freedom. 

Anyway, it is a Dutch spoof vid warning people to securely mount launch installations for fireworks 💥

That was a hilarious spoof...know of any more.....(taps fingers in anticipation)....

• Jim K unlocked this topic

Space startup Astra's failed attempt yesterday ...

Have to hand it to their flight guidance ... rocket was going sideways (due to an engine failure...you can see a small explosion at the base popping off a covering) ... but still managed ~30 km in altitude before they sent the flight termination command.

...another angle...

Edit:

Scott Manley got jokes...

SpaceX's "How Not to Land an Orbital Rocker Booster" - showing their failed attempts before success.

Last night they landed their 90th booster on the new droneship, A Shortfall of Gravitas

CRS-23

CRS-23_Screenshot_2021-08-29.thumb.jpg.7f9a420cc6ef4dc78dc9cac335a4e380.jpg

1997: Delta 2 rocket GPS-II satellite launch, one of the biggest exp!onions at Cape Canaveral. 

A solid booster blew, taking out the other solids and triggering a self-destruct at 1600 feet. With Challenger, a good example why solid boosters are a bad idea for crewed vehicles. Burning solid rocket fuel fragments scorched the entire area.

Another one ... startup Firefly Aerospace suffered a spectacular RUD yesterday.  Appears that the rocket started to go out of control and the self-destruct command was sent (I'm assuming, or it broke apart and exploded)

Around the 2:20 mark

On 03/09/2021 at 11:03, Jim K said:

Another one ... startup Firefly Aerospace suffered a spectacular RUD yesterday.  Appears that the rocket started to go out of control and the self-destruct command was sent (I'm assuming, or it broke apart and exploded)

Around the 2:20 mark

U.S. Space Force Delta 30 at Vandenberg SFB sent the flight termination command.