KFC chicken shortage closes outlets [Update] Second week / no GRAVY!

KFC.jpg

Fast-food chain KFC has closed hundreds of outlets across the UK after they ran out of chicken. :o 

Things were not so finger-licking good for disappointed fried chicken fans after problems with a new distribution system forced the closures. 

Last week, KFC switched its delivery contract to DHL, which blamed "operational issues" for the supply disruption. 

KFC has about 900 UK restaurants, with more than 80% run by franchisees. 

Closures have been reported in areas including London and the South East, the Midlands, East Anglia, the North East and Wales. 

Sauce: BBC

Their "explosive" ad must have yielded excellent results :)

23 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

They should have checked out DHL's dreadful reputation before giving them the contract! I bet the old delivery company are laughing their butts off!

I've always preferred DHL over FedEx :)

UPS is good too.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Raze said:

Shortage of roadkill??

:shifty:

They should have called us here in NW FL...  I drove past (not over!) at least 6 various critters over the course of the weekend.

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

They should have checked out DHL's dreadful reputation before giving them the contract! I bet the old delivery company are laughing their butts off!

1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

Their "explosive" ad must have yielded excellent results :)

I've always preferred DHL over FedEx :)

UPS is good too.

it really really depends on location! Here I love DHL deliveries, FedEx is bad and UPS is terrible. I speak from experience or getting 100 packages last year.

DHL service is friendly and convenient. they always notify me in advance and make paying the duty super easy.  ups is ######ed up. they notify me at the time of delivery and they would not take credit card over the phone. the only way I could pay is by cheque...  and no way to get the delivery on time! 

27 minutes ago, Jimmy #1 said:

ups is ######ed up. they notify me at the time of delivery and they would not take credit card over the phone. the only way I could pay is by cheque...  and no way to get the delivery on time! 

The trick is to monitor your package's status online and give UPS a call in advance of your scheduled delivery date once you see it's arrived to the GTA :) It's how their customs dept. works and processes duties.

The delivery guy should arrive with a payment terminal then. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

The trick is to monitor your package's status online and give UPS a call in advance of your scheduled delivery date once you see it's arrived to the GTA :) It's how their customs dept. works and processes duties.

The delivery guy should arrive with a payment terminal then. 

I get hundreds of deliveries a year. nearly daily. no way I can track each one. I have no time to do it.

dhl let's me know when they picked up and when they deliver. the online payment works. even if I forget, they take card over the phone on delivery day.

usp does none of that, so I try to avoid it as much as i can! FedEx is Ok just not popular with the companies I deal with.

My cousin used to briefly work at a FedEx sorting facility at one point.

He told me stories about packages being tossed left and right. For some reason, his colleagues were especially excited in some weird way when they saw boxes marked with "Fragile" and "Handle With Care". These types received special beating and kicking. And then they would shake them to see if anything was clinking inside.

He told me stories about packages being tossed left and right. For some reason, his colleagues were especially excited in some weird way when they saw boxes marked with "Fragile" and "Handle With Care". These types received special beating and kicking. And then they would shake them to see if anything was clinking inside.

:cry: that is not nice :( 

• Like 2

I worked there when I was a teen/summer job. I worked with a bunch of other teens from my high school/other area high schools, and we just had to get packages off trucks and onto the conveyor belts. We also had to play Tetris with packages when we had to organize them on pallets. That was about it - no mishandling of packages. Pretty dull job, but it paid pretty well. 

2 hours ago, Mirumir said:

I have never worked for FedEx or UPS, but at Amazon I did help load the trucks a few times, and there is no training, just load these boxes floor to ceiling back to front, mind you these are your standard semi trailers ~10FT tall, so it can a challenge to do that, and of course you have all sorts of different sized boxes, plus the items that ship in their own container (box) so I watched one of the guys throwing the boxes towards the top of the stacks, and if it fell, oh well. 

3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

I have never worked for FedEx or UPS, but at Amazon I did help load the trucks a few times, and there is no training, just load these boxes floor to ceiling back to front, mind you these are your standard semi trailers ~10FT tall, so it can a challenge to do that, and of course you have all sorts of different sized boxes, plus the items that ship in their own container (box) so I watched one of the guys throwing the boxes towards the top of the stacks, and if it fell, oh well. 

:o 

What happens if you have a super light box at the bottom of a pile in a 10ft trailer? A pancake, that's what happens!

2 hours ago, Mirumir said:

So was everyone at that FedEx sorting facility basically this guy?  

• Like 2

KFC shortages to continue all week

Delivery problems will mean some KFC outlets will remain closed for the rest of the week, while others will have a reduced menu or shortened hours.

Just over half of the fast food chain's 900 outlets in its UK-based division have been shut.

That compares with 575 that were closed on Monday evening.

Last week, the fried chicken chain switched its delivery contract to DHL, which has blamed "operational issues" for the supply disruption.

Earlier, a KFC spokesperson said: "We anticipate the number of closures will reduce today [Tuesday] and over the coming days as our teams work flat-out all hours to clear the backlog.

:( 

• Steven P. changed the title to KFC chicken shortage closes outlets [Update: shortages continue into the rest of the week]
  • Steven P. changed the title to KFC chicken shortage closes outlets [Update] DAY FOUR

KFC chicken crisis 'caused by Rugby depot chaos'

First-World-Problems.jpg

The KFC crisis is being caused by chaos at a delivery depot where chicken is going to waste, it is claimed.

Drivers have been left waiting for hours because of problems getting into the firm's new delivery site in Rugby.

The council said the site was used to store chicken before being registered to do so, but KFC's delivery contractor DHL had since registered.

KFC said it is doing all it can to "avoid" food wastage and DHL said it was working to tackle the problem.

More than 250 outlets are still shut because of supply problems, which started when it switched its delivery contract to DHL.

One lorry driver said he lost a full load of chicken because of the depot issues.

On 2/21/2018 at 8:33 AM, vishal1082 said:

Are people seriously calling the police or is this a joke ? It's just a stupid fast food chain, go buy you garbage food somewhere else in the meantime !

... Millenials ! (jk)

9 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

The state of the world today...

Funny, I almost made a prejudiced anti-american comment before I realized this was happening in the UK.

... Well, I guess I can replace it with a prejudiced anti-UK joke :

I guess people are panicking because now they have to actually eat their awful english food instead ?