Weather warning: Heavy snow to hit most of UK as 'Beast from the East' arrives

We are having -20 night temps in Moscow this weekend, the coldest this winter season. It's a piece of cake in the grande scheme of things. This winter hasn't been so bad temperature wise.

Weather warning: Heavy snow to hit most of UK as 'Beast from the East' arrives

Heavy snow is expected to hit most of the UK next week as a cold blast of air known as "the Beast from the East" arrives from Russia.

Forecasters say the freezing weather could bring travel disruption and power cuts as Britain faces its coldest February week in five years.

/facepalm 

A high of zero during the day, -8 Celsius at night.......Oh, the horror!

It should feel like -12-15C  with the windchill.

Multilayered clothes is the key.

Stay warm!

p.s. Gazprom is forecasted to post record profits for this quarter after exporting a historically record volume of 655,2 mln. cubic metres.

7 minutes ago, CrashGordon said:

Enjoy that weather. 

Oh, I love it!

Apart from the winter outdoor activities like skiing and skating that we all love to perform, one of the good things about such a cold weather is that it kills all airborne bacteria and diseases and the whole population becomes healthier as a result.

59 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

A high of zero during the day, -8 Celsius at night.......Oh, the horror!

It should feel like -12-15C  with the windchill.

Multilayered clothes is the key.

Stay warm!

p.s. Gazprom is forecasted to post record profits for this quarter after exporting a historically record volume of 655,2 mln. cubic metres.

I'll be surprised if we get more than an inch. :p 

In all seriousness though, the UK enjoys an unusually temperate climate (albeit damp), compared to its location; thanks mainly to the currents that protect our soggy isle.  Therefore temps below -5 or so are largely unknown and do cause serious problems when they happen.  it's also why we can't handle much snow; we're just not used to it!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

I'll be surprised if we get more than an inch. :p 

In all seriousness though, the UK enjoys an unusually temperate climate (albeit damp), compared to its location; thanks mainly to the currents that protect our soggy isle.  Therefore temps below -5 or so are largely unknown and do cause serious problems when they happen.  it's also why we can't handle much snow; we're just not used to it!

I'd be avoiding roads like plague in the next couple of days as most drivers in the U.K. don't swap their tires for winter.

Stay safe!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

I'd be avoiding roads like plague in the next couple of days as most drivers in the U.K. don't swap their tires for winter.

Stay safe!

We don't swap our tyres simply because we just don't get enough snow to justify it! Why spend a couple hundred pounds on tyres we'll only need once, for just a couple of days, every 10 years or so?

Scotland, on the other hand, is different. Those poor sods get a tonne of snow every winter.

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

We don't swap our tyres simply because we just don't get enough snow to justify it! Why spend a couple hundred pounds on tyres we'll only need once, for just a couple of days, every 10 years or so?

Scotland, on the other hand, is different. Those poor sods get a tonne of snow every winter.

Well, once the temps. drop below +5C, the winter tires start to perform significantly better.

It's your choice. I'm sure there's more than one such a day in a typical English winter.

There's about 1-2cm on the ground at the moment; it's been snowing off and on throughout the day since this morning, though most melted this afternoon. So far it seems to be just the "warm up" before the main snow arrives. We shall see I guess!

It's a bit chilly too, but not too bad really... -2c ambient right now.

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

There's about 1-2cm on the ground at the moment; it's been snowing off and on throughout the day since this morning, though most melted this afternoon. So far it seems to be just the "warm up" before the main snow arrives. We shall see I guess!

It's a bit chilly too, but not too bad really... -2c ambient right now.

Enjoy that  :p

We had a big snow where I am at a few weeks ago.  Then a week ago, we had a big rain and warm weather.  So snow melting + lots of rain = lots of flooding in areas.  And it really screwed up the roads worse that they were. 

Just now, techbeck said:

Enjoy that  :p

We had a big snow where I am at a few weeks ago.  Then a week ago, we had a big rain and warm weather.  So snow melting + lots of rain = lots of flooding in areas.  And it really screwed up the roads worse that they were. 

Personally, I don't care how much snow we have, but I'd rather the roads stay clear at least until Thursday as it's my wife's chemo treatment day on Wednesday and I don't want that delayed.

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Personally, I don't care how much snow we have, but I'd rather the roads stay clear at least until Thursday as it's my wife's chemo treatment day on Wednesday and I don't want that delayed.

I don't mind the snow myself.  Just dealing with other drivers on the road who cannot handle it.  Safe travels Thursday and take your time.

SE Michigan has had about 1-1.5 meter of snow this winter.  Painesdale in the Upper Peninsula has had 5.6 meters with up to 3 months remaining in snow season, so personal Snow Cats are recommended :rofl:

5a94fa44ce44b_SnowCat.thumb.jpg.8825696696b7979d2b0b35c96bcad69e.jpg

Edited by DocM
  • Like 2

^ Doing the morning school run in one of those would be... Amusing.

Anyway, this morning there's roughly an inch on the ground, maybe a little more; not enough to justify working from home today.  My kids schools are closed (which they're well pleased about), but I still have to drag my carcass to work.  Also, it's currently snowing so I have the fun of clearing snow off my car whilst it's snowing hard enough to re-cover it as fast as I can clear it...

Temp is showing -4c.  Not too bad really.

I had a colleague towards Kent way and they have a couple of inches overnight. I woke up this morning and there's nothing at all on the roads. It's supposed to be at it's worst tomorrow and Thurs I think. 

Fingers crossed for not having to travel into London on Friday :shiftyninja:

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

^ Doing the morning school run in one of those would be... Amusing.

Would love to see the look on some peoples faces as you roll into the car park with one of those :)

• Like 2

So, safe and sound at work, and I really wonder just how the hell some people manage to dress themselves in the morning, let alone work out how to drive on snow and ice.  Talk about a bunch of idiots!

Stop using first gear you morons! Stop slamming your brakes on full when you realise you're on ice you dipsticks!!  Sheesh!! :no: 

Saw at least 3 fender benders.. One idiot in front of me, in a big 4x4, went down a slight hill sideways as he didn't see the ice, and ended up on the other side of the road, on the pathway, in someone's garden wall.. I just slowly went past him, completely under control in my little front wheel drive, laughing my rear off at him and his £30k car. :rofl: 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tuskd said:

How long will this last?

The worst of it supposed to hit Weds and Thurs so it'll probably the rest of the year for us to recover from it. :p