Gigabyte Motherboards? Opinions needed

I've built several PC's mostly with MSI boards, but looking at other options this time.. What are your opinions on Gigabyte motherboards today?

I'm looking at an Intel Z370 chipset build possibly holding off to Z390 but not sure yet

I have never had a problem with Gigabyte motherboards on any of the 5 builds I have done with them.

long time in the past they could be problematic but nowadays they almost rival those of Asus's top of the line mobo's if you don't go for the el cheapo mobo's that they put out 

I never had a problem with them, either.

Now for MSI mobos, I hate their arse... Started long ago when a board from them went bad within a week or so. I sent in a RMA, got the SAME board back, so I require another RMA. This time I got a new one, but like my old one, it died within a week. So I just went with ASUS then on...

See, I've never had an issue with MSI... probably why I kept using them lol..

how's gigabyte for firmware updates and such? MSI used to put updates out relatively fast

Hello,

I have built a few (maybe 5-10 each) systems with both Gigabyte and MSI motherboards; I can't say I've had any notable problems with either, but then again probably that's not enough of a sample set to provide anything more than anecdotal data.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

MSI Z170 Gaming AC faulted after 1.5 years. One of the temp sensor was always showing 105 Degrees C. I also was unable to disable individually disable SATA ports on MSI. However I can do that on ASUS and Gigabyte. 

So MSI is automatically on my do not buy list.

3 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Shouldn't you hold off?

AMD is releasing Ryzen 2nd generation on April 19.

Where did OP ever say AMD Ryzen? He wanted a Intel chipset...

9 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Where did OP ever say AMD Ryzen? He wanted a Intel chipset...

So what's the worst thing that could possibly happened?

If he don't Zen+/X470 motherboards, he can still get Coffee Lake/Z370 motherboards.

I miss the old EpoX motherboards. I have had noting but trouble with MIS, and Gigabyte boards in the past. Been using Asus for the last several years and have not had a issue yet with them

3 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

So what's the worst thing that could possibly happened?

If he don't Zen+/X470 motherboards, he can still get Coffee Lake/Z370 motherboards.

What does a new version of Rayzen have to do with cofee lake?

On 3/18/2018 at 12:47 PM, neufuse said:

I've built several PC's mostly with MSI boards, but looking at other options this time.. What are your opinions on Gigabyte motherboards today?

I'm looking at an Intel Z370 chipset build possibly holding off to Z390 but not sure yet

i have had Gigabyte Motherboards, but this time i have gone back to Asus. but IMO its what you prefer to use, dont go for something you dont know or havent used before.  i think my Next Graphics Card will be an Asus also.

3 hours ago, +Ichigo+ said:

I miss the old EpoX motherboards. I have had noting but trouble with MIS, and Gigabyte boards in the past. Been using Asus for the last several years and have not had a issue yet with them

i had an Epox Mobo once, they were a Nice Mobo i thought, but yeah i ripped my Gigabyte mobo out of my New PC as i had nothing but problems with it

Gigabyte boards are awesome. My last board was an EP45-UD3R 775 socket, it still runs at 8 years old but was decommissioned, and my old Socket 478 GA-8S648FX board before that lasted 7 years before one day deciding to die in its sleep, awww.

My current board is a GA-Z170XP-SLI, 2 years old and solid. I have no issues with Gigabyte and love them to bits. I build systems with them at work, and after 12 years and a few thousand systems built probably had 5 that died unusually.

The funniest thing about Gigabyte that makes me chuckle even today when building one. My first board's manual was Chinglish and the phrase "Incorrect using it may cause your system broken!" still makes me laugh thinking of it. Their documentation, quality and service has improved massively since those days :)

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

What does a new version of Rayzen have to do with cofee lake?

For you, nothing, because you would not consider buying an AMD processor anyway.

For me, I like the fact that AMD doesn't cut every corner it can.

For example, just look at the stock cooler:

AMD's stock cooler:

0965e4ef-dafe-433d-aa9d-2e75a8826653.jpg

Intel's stock cooler:

egFD543l.jpg

Edited by Mockingbird

6 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

For you, nothing, because you would not consider buying an AMD processor anyway.

For me, I like the fact that AMD doesn't cut every corner it can.

For example, just look at the stock cooler:

AMD's stock cooler:

<snip>

Intel's stock cooler:

<snip>

What sane person, unless you are broke or didn't care, would use a Intel stock fan? Really?

5 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

What sane person, unless you are broke or didn't care, would use a Intel stock fan? Really?

You are changing the topic.

The fact of the matter is that these days, everything Intel does feels cheap

...like the fact that Intel can't even bother to solder the heat spreader on $1000+ processors

^^ Don't derail this thread and make it Intel vs. AMD.  OP asked about Gigabyte.

With respect to Gigabyte, I've owned quite a few of them (ASUS and Gigabyte are my "go to" boards).  Never had a problem with any of them.  I have also owned (and still own) ASRock and a MSI one in the past.  The MSI one was the only board to fail ... though it was due to the PSU and not the board really.

Anyway, I would not hesitate in buying a Gigabyte board.  Obviously, I like to read reviews for certain motherboard models I'm thinking about purchasing...just to see if the reviewer ran into any weird quirks (if that makes sense).

9 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Shouldn't you hold off?

AMD is releasing Ryzen 2nd generation on April 19.

reading comprehension........

and why are we even talking about CPU coolers? Intel doesn't even include CPU coolers on the lines of CPU's people like us would be buying anymore... they know we buy what we want anyways so why include it

Edited by neufuse
  • Like 1