New iOS user - I need help - need a solution

Ok everyone.

I have been using an iPhone 6s for the last 6 months or so. ( my oldest daughters old phone ) Coming from Windows 10 mobile, I want to upgrade to iPhone 8 plus or 10...

I love it. But here is the huge issue I am having...

I pay .99 cents a month for 50 GB of iCloud storage. Pretty cool right? But here is where my issue comes in to play.

I have a new girlfriend, and, alongside of that, I have had a few big weekends with my kids and of course I have been taking a lot of pictures. I mean.. alot. lol

I received a notification today on my iPhone that I am out of local storage, and I am unable to take anymore pictures, So.. of course I am thinking, no problem, I have only used 20% of my iCloud storage, and I can just delete all of my photos and videos on my iPhone, and just cruise along. 

Of course, before doing this, I pulled up a web browser and did some research.. and it seems that if I delete from my iPhone, it deletes from iCloud???? WHAT??

I am used to the functionality of Win-mo and One drive, but obviously the eco-system here is different.

All I want to do is SAVE my local pics / videos from my IPhone, which is currently in iCloud. I want to delete 100% of my local photos and vids from my iPhone WITHOUT deleting them from iCloud!! SMH. 

Is this possible within the iOS eco-sysytem? Or, do I have to rely on an outside solution? 

What is iCloud Drive? Is this what I need?

All I am trying to do is KEEP the content that I have in iCloud, but erase the content on my iPhone so I can have my local storage back to take more pictures and videos, and have that content added to iCloud with the rest of my stuff. 

Please tell me if I am missing something here?

I would think that if I had an iPad, iPhone, etc... that I could add to iCloud and have everything there and keep my local devices clean for adding more content. But it seems to be NOT the case. Why the heck would I pay for 50GB of storage for iCloud when in actuality I can only use 16GB of it because it deletes from iCloud when I delete from Iphone??? THIS DOES NOT MAKE SENSE!!!

Thanks so much in advance for your guidance!! 

New iOS user...

in your settings you will have a "save only optimized photos" or something to that wording. When you choose that, the main photo goes to icloud and only a "thumbnail" of it remains on your phone. If chosen for viewing, your phone fetches the full version. If it gets frustrating enough, you could could use google photos. I prefer the google photos and have all iphone family members on it. Same idea, just better implication and search. 

Ripple.. where is this setting exactly? Seems like from what you are saying is that my local images will be compressed to save room locally.. but.. eventually, I will hit this wall again.. 

Jonathan... what Ripple is referring to, is in your iOS settings for your Pictures.

Here's an easy way to save all your photos without losing any of them on the Cloud... and you'll need a PC to do this with.

On the PC, install the latest version of iTunes.  Once that is done, open iTunes and then connect your phone.  Let the system recognize your phone.  Now.. the next trick may, or may not happen once the phone is recognized.  Any time, a phone is connected to Windows.. it should see it like it does any other external storage device.. (should there not be any issues with drivers).. and will open a dialog window when you connect.  "What do you want to do with this device?".  if this does not happen... in iTunes, click the EJECT looking icon, to disconnect your phone from the computer.  Close iTunes.  Wait about 30 seconds, then reconnect your phone without opening iTunes.

One of those options is:  Save photos  <<<  this is the one you want.  Windows will copy all your photos from that phone to a folder of your choosing.  Get a decent sized thumb drive (no less than 64GB).. and save a copy to that as well.

Read further into other options here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201302

I worked for them for some time, and it really.. really irritated me how deeply rooted their systems are to each other.  Yes.. when they do what you want, they seem to work flawlessly.. but try something that users do on a PC or with Android without a hiccup.. and your journey towards the dark side begins.

Here's what Ripple was pointing out too:

Here's how you go about setting up iCloud Photo Library and Optimize Storage.

Make sure you're on Wi-Fi.

Enable iCloud Photo Library.

Launch the Settings app.

Tap Photos & Camera.

Select Optimize Storage.

• 2 weeks later...

Dude... iCloud is not bad and $12/year for 50GB is more than fair. (I prefer to pay $70 a year for Office 365 which includes 1TB of OneDrive and access to MS Office, but that's beside the point.)

But Google Photos is absolutely the way to go. The way they word their unlimited photo storage plan is very interesting. If the photo is 16MP or higher, it will either be stored against your 15GB free quota, or compressed down to 16MP (your choice). Anything under 16MP is stored at original size... now, your iPhone 6s has a 12MP camera on the back. So Google will store ALL your photos for free! Uncompressed! However, since Apple limits app background activity, you need to have Google Photos open and your screen on for it to upload. And it uploads videos slowly. So what I recommend doing, especially if you're on a slow connection, is install the Google Photos app on your PC or Mac as well, dump photos from your phone to computer, and have Google Photos monitor that folder. As you dump more photos into it, it will upload them from the computer.

On Google Photos on my iPhone, I can see every photo I've taken since the mid-90s (I'm 38). I can also group them into albums, and it's searchable. So you go to search and it groups same faces together. Google's machine learning is insane. If you name a face, you can search by that face. It will get some wrong, but you can correct it. So for example, a couple years ago, my wife's grandmother passed away, and my wife's aunt asked my wife and I for our best photos. This was a hard request on my wife, so she asked me to help. I simply got her aunt's email address, opened Google Photos, hit search, tapped on her grandmother's face, and shared all of them with her aunt. Very easy. Less sad story, my niece got a smartphone (Galaxy S5, so not even the same phone as mine) and I wanted her to have all the photos I've ever taken of her, since she was a baby. Same thing. Open app. Search. Tap her face. Select all. Share. Enter email. Done. Now she has access to all of them. Not just photos I took with my iPhone. Photos I took with my iPhone, with four Android phones, 3-4 flip phones, and 2-3 digital cameras. ALL the pictures I had of her. Videos, too.

Bonus, they have a scanner. Google PhotoScan. Easy to scan receipts, appointment reminder cards, business cards... I use it to scan Weiß Schwarz playing cards (think Magic: The Gathering but for anime fans). Quality could be better, but it's really cool how it works. It's better for old photographs, that's what it's meant for.

Of course, you should know Google is an evil company and all that, they mine your personal information and sell ads to you, whereas Apple supposedly doesn't do that. I just don't want someone to assume I've never heard that before. Because I have. I just don't care. I've been a fan of Google pretty much since they started. Android was my first choice of smartphones, but I always liked Apple and don't really prefer one completely over the other. Still, on iPhone, I'm still gonna use all the Google apps. Except Google Docs/Sheets. As I said before, I use Office 365. The Microsoft apps, Word and Excel, are simply better. (Apple's Office apps are better than Google's, too, but the cloud support is bad... access to my documents from any screen was of the highest importance. Both Google and Microsoft deliver. Microsoft just makes better office apps than Google (or Apple, for that matter).)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I don’t like Google Photos much (just a personal preference) and so I have a Dropbox Plus account for $99 a year for 1TB of space. It has an auto-upload feature for the iPhone/iPad. 

I don't use icloud for the photos or documents ...

I usually back them up via iTunes so my files will be saved in my HDD.

Before you move the photos to HDD, back up your iPhone then move the photos (or other files) to your PC which it can be done via Explorer (if you have iMac or any Mac device, you can use iFile or whatever it is called). Once it is completed, you can go on iPhone and remove the photos you don't want anymore...  You can make room by doing that.

Or you can go to Amazon Prime for photos storage which they have unlimited storage offer for photos only... If you want to save videos as well, then you have 5gb that is included your prime account. If you want more than that, then you will pay extra. Info: Go here.

Edited by TAZMINATOR
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

Or you can go to Amazon Prime for photos storage which they have unlimited storage offer for photos only... If you want to save videos as well, then you have 5gb that is included your prime account. If you want more than that, then you will pay extra. Info: Go here.

Heya cool, I have a prime account but didnt know I get unlimited storage for photos.

• 1 month later...

Google Photos is your solution. Unlimited photo storage, and yes, it's compatible with iOS. I have an iPhone 8 plus too and use it.