MS Launcher ramblings

Hi,

It seems there's no real thread on the MS Launcher for tips, thoughts and/or bugs, so I start one now... ;)

So....
It all works fine for me, BUT the supposedly new 'calendar on lock screen' feature in v. 4.7+
I'm using a Huawei P9 Lite atm on Android v7 with the February security updates installed, and Launcher 4.7.0.41273.
And am wondering if the Huawei EMUI skin is interfering somehow.

Strangely enough the MS Garage 'Next' lockscreen app is running just fine, showing me appointments, missed calls etc.
But Launcher is showing me nothing on the lockscreen, but the Bing wallpaper.

Any thoughts?

cheers!

rob

No tips or suggestions from me, just my personal user experience. Have been running it on my Samsung Note 4 (Android 7.1 custom ROM) for quite a long time now, probably a year or so. I like it very much, was switching between Nova launcher and MS launcher but always returned to MS launcher. I guess it is not a matter of which is better, but really user preference.

4 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Does it have permissions to read calendar? 

Hi,

Yes, all permissions inside the system/Launcher app settings are on, also for the calendar.
I've tried multiple times to see if calendar notifications would show up on the lock screen, but with Launcher so far I didn't succeed.
With Next, no problem there.....

1 hour ago, Dutchie64 said:

Hi,

Yes, all permissions inside the system/Launcher app settings are on, also for the calendar.
I've tried multiple times to see if calendar notifications would show up on the lock screen, but with Launcher so far I didn't succeed.
With Next, no problem there.....

MS Launcher been working fine for me but I'll need to check to see if the calendar issue is working.  I'll get back with you.

I like MS Launcher but it constantly locks up on my S6: crashes and then it won't reload apps so I have to restart the phone (even force closing won't resolve the issue). Nova launcher continues to be my favourite launcher. Evie is also a good alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I received an update for MS Launcher yesterday (4.7.5.41601), but it seems it broke my Cortana somehow.
The card is still there, and I can try to find something, or set a task via Cortana, but after some thinking every command times out.

I checked the handful of Cortana settings, but it all looks OK to me.
One strange thing I noticed is that the language in the Cortana card switches from English to Dutch for the text clues.
So instead of 'Thinking' its 'Denken' now. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the case before, and might explain the non functioning Cortana.

Anyone having the same issues on non English setups and Cortana after the latest update?

And the odd dual lingo issue went away after rebooting the Launcher.
So all is working like it should again.

Just to answer my own question here ;)

I still would like to see someone answering the previous question on calendar notifications on the lockscreen.
I don't see them on my phone yet.....

cheers!

• 3 months later...
On 3/26/2018 at 12:32 PM, Billus said:

I like MS Launcher but it constantly locks up on my S6: crashes and then it won't reload apps so I have to restart the phone (even force closing won't resolve the issue). Nova launcher continues to be my favourite launcher. Evie is also a good alternative.

Most third-party launchers (including Microsoft Launcher) hate and despise TouchWiz; in fact, the same applies to most other overlays, (including EMUI and its clones).  The surpise was manifest on my part when I discovered that Microsoft Launcher gets along with Samsung Experience 9 (whch replaced TouchWiz on Oreo); in fact, Microsoft Launcher is now my default because of things it does that SE9 does not.  On the other hand, Nova Launcher does not get along with SE9 (which is still true with every other third-party launcher), and unlike Exnyos, there are no true third-party ROMs for Samsung's S7 and later Snapdragon-based hardware.

16 hours ago, PGHammer said:

....and unlike Exnyos, there are no true third-party ROMs for Samsung's S7 and later Snapdragon-based hardware.

I honestly thought it would be the other way around seeing Exnyos is Samsungs propriety hardware and they do not provide any drivers/information. Knowing this and having owned the S1, Note1 and S6, I can say that the S6 will be my last Samsung phone. Took over 2 years for the S6 to receive a stable build of LineageOS because of Samsung's walled garden. I now use Resurrection Remix as my daily driver and hopefully, it will carry my phone till I pick up a Pixel 3 XL.

I've moved on from Microsoft Launcher and have returned to Nova. The Google Now integration sealed it for me. Will continue to keep an eye on any improvements of the MS Launcher.

• 3 weeks later...