weird problem in home network.

hello. I am I have 20mb at home network. What is weird that the speed is low in the mobile phones which about 1 to 2 mb. But when I check it in the laptop I am getting full speed???

Note:

1. I am using the tp-link archer c7 router.  
  2. I did the test multiple times using speedtest.net in the phone and the laptop, so I am sure.
  3. I did the configuration for the router. It used to work perfectly, but I don't know about now.
  4. There is no specific configuration on the router, only a QoS rule for an android tv box that I have, which I did long back.

Please advice me.

It sounds to me that you are connecting everything via WiFi, that is the problem, @BudMan will certainly clarify it, but when you are connected via WiFi the speeds are much lower then what you will get via a wired connection.

I want to clarify more. I have mobile devices + laptop. Considering there is not internet usage at the moment. Doing speedtest.net on all the devices, the mobile devices are receiving 5 mb. While if I do the same test after 1 min on the laptop is receiving the full speed which is 20 mb.

I just remembered that it started to happen after I updated the router firmeware, I am looking throw there website as if now to see what is possible. Even downgrading if possible.

Edit: New features added by the firmware

New Features/Enhancement
1. Supported Alexa & IFTTT function.
2. Supported the SMBv2 protocol.
3. Supported new features: schedule reboot function, HTTPS access.
4. Improved system reliability.
5. Improved the reliability for Internet and wireless connection.

Could be related? I think it can be relates to the IFTTT.

Please advice. Thanks,

Edited by deep1234

Downgrade.. Does your speed go back to normal?  Did you try simple reboot of the router?

What are you using for wifi 2.4 or 5 N or AC?  What mobile devices?

I rebooted a lot and it is the same. And I test it using 2.4 and the 5.0 GHZ. 

The final way is to downgrade. Not sure if it is possible.

I am using the tp-link Archer c7 v4.0.

Its always possible to downgrade to previous firmware..

https://www.tp-link.com/us/download/Archer-C7.html#Firmware

Just grab the previous version you were running... I would guess this was your previous

Archer C7(US)_V4_171101

Which was dated 2017-12-21

You can prob just go with 3rd party as well.. Say dd-wrt  This looks like the most current version of dd-wrt for your router

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2018/04-20-2018-r35770/tplink_archer-c7-v4/tplink_archer-c7-v4.bin

How to downgrade? Can I just upload the old firmware manually and it will just works? I cant seem to get some info around this on the internet.

12 minutes ago, deep1234 said:

How to downgrade? Can I just upload the old firmware manually and it will just works? I cant seem to get some info around this on the internet.

yes just load it the same way as you would upgrading. you'll want to choose the option not to save your settings if there is one.

I agree with @BudMan though, give DD-WRT a spin. their quality has taken a jump again now that they've recently merged with the LETE fork

1 minute ago, Brandon H said:

I agree with Budman though, give DD-WRT a spin. their quality has taken a jump again now that they've recently merged with the LETE fork

IMO, DD-WRT has always been good. :)

I am willing to try dd-wrt. Questions, but it seems there application still in BETA? if I want to upgrade, is it automatic or manual? Can I go back to the OEM firmware if I need to?

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

IMO, DD-WRT has always been good. :)

they have. my issue was for awhile they were a bit slow with builds/new device support even unofficially.

I got the Linksys WRT1900AC shortly after it released and DD-WRT never started supporting it until the LETE merger that happened recently. I started on Open-WRT on it and moved to LETE last year on my Linksys. DD-WRT is still using the LETE build for it as well; they haven't put out new builds with the DD-WRT branding back on it yet.

this is just my personal experience.

Just now, deep1234 said:

I am willing to try dd-wrt. Questions, but it seems there application still in BETA? if I want to upgrade, is it automatic or manual? Can I go back to the OEM firmware if I need to?

there really isn't a 'Stable' branch per say, Beta will be plenty stable :)

going back to OEM is super simple as well, you just put the OEM zip/img in the DD-WRT upgrade box on the LuCi web interface and it will convert back over to the OEM firmware.

dd-wrt has always had the "beta" label that I recall ;)

When code changes as much as dd-wrt does its really hard to call something "stable" build...  Its easier to just call it beta so if people bitch that something broke - you can just say well its beta... heheheh

Back in the day I use to run dd-wrt and openwrt, all the time - they were really the only way to get actual use out of that soho ###### they put out...  I had an old tplink wdr3600 on my shelf - my son called and room mate moved out and took their router.. So I turned it on - grabbed the latest dd-wrt build (yes from beta) and went over there - plugged it in... Bing Bang they are up and running all is working fine.

They were getting full speed 100mbps in the rooms next to where the router was - but down stairs only seeing about 50mbps.. Its a POS soho what do you want ;)  But it does what they want.. If/when you want to actually run real wifi then get a real AP.. Not this soho ######...

But you can "upgrade" the firmware to whatever version of file you upload to the router.. Be it the latest or the one they released 2 years ago.. So load in the previous bin I Linked too or use 3rd party.. Doesn't matter if its old or new or whatever - router doesn't care - its just a firmware file your loading it doesn't know if the version number is higher or lower, etc.

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

But you can "upgrade" the firmware to whatever version of file you upload to the router.. Be it the latest or the one they released 2 years ago.. So load in the previous bin I Linked too or use 3rd party.. Doesn't matter if its old or new or whatever - router doesn't care - its just a firmware file your loading it doesn't know if the version number is higher or lower, etc.

yeah as fancy as the OEMs try to make consumer routers seem, they're still just simple command boxes at their core :D

• Like 1