Ford to stop selling every car in North America but the Mustang and Focus Active

Ford today announced it will phase out most cars it sells in North America. According to its latest financial release, the auto giant “will transition to two vehicles” — the Mustang and an unannounced vehicle, the Focus Active, being the only traditional cars it sells in the region. Ford sees 90 percent of its North America portfolio in trucks, utilities and commercial vehicles. Citing a reduction in consumer demand and product profitability, Ford is in turn not investing in the next generation of sedans. The Taurus is no more.

The press release also talks about a new type of vehicle, though it sounds like a crossover. This so-called white space vehicle will “combine the best attributes of cars and utilities, such as higher ride height, space and versatility.”

Currently, Ford sells six sedans and coupes in North America: the Fiesta, Focus, Fusion, C-Max, Mustang and Taurus. This lineup hits multiple segments, from the compact Fiesta to the mid-size Focus, C-Max and Fusion to the full-size Taurus. The Mustang stands alone as the lone coupe.

It’s likely Lincoln’s sedans will also disappear, though this was not explicitly stated in today’s press release. Lincoln currently sells the mid-size MKZ and full-size Continental — both share platforms with Ford counterparts. If Ford is phasing out development of sedan platforms, Lincoln will likely suffer, too.

/snip

Full article at TechCrunch 

They can build SUVs for not much more than a car but charge a whole lot more for them. I get it as they're a profit-driven business, but I can't help but feel contempt as a consumer.

Vehicles are stupid expensive now, you still lose a bunch of money simply driving them off the lot and repair costs are also much higher because of added complexity. Mess it up in an accident that doesn't total it, and you get back a patched up vehicle with potential problems down the road, damage depreciation and you still get to pay for it until you either trade it in for another slavery note or pay it off.

Vehicles suck.

Edited by slamfire92

29 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

TechCrunch probably grabbed the headline from this particular part of Ford's Press Release (pdf file)....

Building a winning portfolio and focusing on products and markets where Ford can win. For example, by 2020, almost 90 percent of the Ford portfolio in North America will be trucks, utilities and commercial vehicles. Given declining consumer demand and product profitability, the company will not invest in next generations of traditional Ford sedans for North America. Over the next few years, the Ford car portfolio in North America will transition to two vehicles – the best-selling Mustang and the all-new Focus Active crossover coming out next year. The company is also exploring new “white space” vehicle silhouettes that combine the best attributes of cars and utilities, such as higher ride height, space and versatility.

Of course, the F-150 isn't going anywhere (or the Explorer).  :) 

Though I am a bit surprised they are getting rid of both the Taurus and the Fusion ... figured they would keep one or the other.  Also surprised they are getting rid of the small "budget" cars...not keeping one (though maybe the Focus Active will take the "budget" spot).

• Like 1

Taurus...have not seen one of them around in a loooong time.  I see Fusions often and every now and then, a Fiesta.   Seems like they are really limiting themselves getting rid of all 3.

Everyone seems to think this is short sited, because gas will fluctuate and SUV demand will go down. However I think what most people don't see is that the sedan industry in the US has already been declining because of the CUV market. CUVs are quickly replacing sedans, are are still required to meet the higher mpg standards. The Ford Focus Active will meet the needs for most sedan owners especially the younger generation

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 4/25/2018 at 10:21 PM, techbeck said:

Taurus...have not seen one of them around in a loooong time.  I see Fusions often and every now and then, a Fiesta.   Seems like they are really limiting themselves getting rid of all 3.

The Taurus sells to fleets (taxis, law enforcement, etc.,) those same groups that want something larger than the Focus (yes - the Focus sells to those same groups -with the Focus selling to urban police departments - no less than MPDC grabbed a few Foci in their last fleet purchase).

On 4/26/2018 at 11:36 AM, wv@gt said:

Everyone seems to think this is short sited, because gas will fluctuate and SUV demand will go down. However I think what most people don't see is that the sedan industry in the US has already been declining because of the CUV market. CUVs are quickly replacing sedans, are are still required to meet the higher mpg standards. The Ford Focus Active will meet the needs for most sedan owners especially the younger generation

And there is another reason that SUVs (and crossovers) sell a lot - bulk and safety (why do you think that the Suburban has gone exactly nowhere, despite it being the least fuel-efficient of any SUV that any American manufacturer makes?).

4 hours ago, PGHammer said:

And there is another reason that SUVs (and crossovers) sell a lot - bulk and safety (why do you think that the Suburban has gone exactly nowhere, despite it being the least fuel-efficient of any SUV that any American manufacturer makes?).

Since I wrote that, I also realized US automakers just can't compete with the Sedans from Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Hyundai

1 hour ago, wv@gt said:

Since I wrote that, I also realized US automakers just can't compete with the Sedans from Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Hyundai

All four sell in Japan and Asia - where fuel is a LOT more expensive than in the US; hence where fuel economy is an issue, the Asian brands - and the European brands, for that matter - will have an advantage.  However, where safety and crashworthiness are more important (the SUV and crossover categories ring rather large bells), tne American brands (with some exceptions - such as Land Rover and the Toyota Highlander/4Runner) take command.  Look at Toyota's Land Cruiser - it sells FAR less in the United States than makes sense - why? (And I am talking about compared to the Highlander and 4Runner - let alone the Range Rover Sport and Evoque.)

American buyers do NOT think like European and Asian buyers - so stop insisting that they do.

1 hour ago, PGHammer said:

All four sell in Japan and Asia - where fuel is a LOT more expensive than in the US; hence where fuel economy is an issue, the Asian brands - and the European brands, for that matter - will have an advantage.  However, where safety and crashworthiness are more important (the SUV and crossover categories ring rather large bells), tne American brands (with some exceptions - such as Land Rover and the Toyota Highlander/4Runner) take command.  Look at Toyota's Land Cruiser - it sells FAR less in the United States than makes sense - why? (And I am talking about compared to the Highlander and 4Runner - let alone the Range Rover Sport and Evoque.)

American buyers do NOT think like European and Asian buyers - so stop insisting that they do.

Land Rover is not an American brand...

I did not say they were; however, they ARE a world-class SUV brand (the only one that sells in any appreciable numbers in the US that is not US-based; they outsell Toyota's Land Cruiser here, despite costing many thousands more - and no; I am not kidding in the least - can someone explain the why of that?).

The fact that Range Rover outsells Land Cruiser in the United States is not logical; and considering that is also untrue in the UK - Range Rover's home market - the sales disparity makes even less sense.  In short, I am comparing world-class SUVs to each other.  I am saying that in the UK (or in Asia) fuel economy is more important than safety - the same is true in Asia (both are areas where practically ALL petrol is imported).  That is not true in the United States (and especially now with the development of shale fields); that does - and has - made a massive difference when it comes to what types of vehicles sell and get purchased; to think that it wouldn't is cuckoo.

What really concerns me with this is that the fusion was, at one point, very popular.  I can see the taurus being less popular, but why not rejuvenate the fusion?  FWIW, I did try to rent a fusion hybrid in California but the trunk space was so small that I couldn't fit two large suitcases in (I couldn't even fit one in).  I ended up with a kia optima hybrid, of which I could fit two large suitcases in.  They really need to do something with that...If the only choice to put 10 bags of groceries is in the back seat, I can see why it has been declining in sales in comparison to other vehicles that can when carrying 2 children in child seats and 2 adults in the front seat.

History repeating itself. 

The big three put all their eggs into the SUV basket before the Great Recession and ended up having no market to compete against Toyota, Honda, Hyundai when gas prices started sky rocketing. And we all know how that worked out.

Here we are 10 years later and they’re doing the same with crossovers, slimming down car offerings and outright taking them out of their line up. My lease on my Acadia is up soon and while I love it, it also gets only about 20mpg mixed with the 3.6L in it. When I scoped out GMs car offerings, there are virtually zero incentives or sales to entice buyers to a car. Consumers aren’t buying cars from the Big 3 because you can get a fully loaded equinox on lease cheaper than you could get a Cruze (only an LT/midrange trim even). 

You don’t see Toyota, Kia leaving their car offerings to rot on the vine, not to mention they still also sell well. 

GM also makes the majority of their crossovers either in Mexico or Canada, where as most of their sedans are built in Ohio. Cheaper to probably just kill off the Cruze eventually than retool an American plant to produce crossovers, not to mention have to pay workers in the US.

PS- gas prices have been creeping up to that 3 dollar mark again, and 4 seemed to be the redline where everyone wanted to offload their SUVs but couldn’t because their residuals tanked. And the ones that could found the big three had no competitive car offerings, unless you wanted a bland, cheap plastic interior, ancient power train, and a less featured model compared to imports. 

Crossovers might get a few mpgs better than the SUVs of a decade ago (16mpg combined vs 21-22 of today), but they’re still a far cry from cars that can easily pull 38-42mpg on the same powertrains... the 1.4L and 1.5L turbos that GM is basically using for everything as an example).

Edited by shockz

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 1:18 PM, PGHammer said:

The Taurus sells to fleets (taxis, law enforcement, etc.,) those same groups that want something larger than the Focus (yes - the Focus sells to those same groups -with the Focus selling to urban police departments - no less than MPDC grabbed a few Foci in their last fleet purchase).

Foci are sold to Urban Police Depts? Seriously? Do they put a better engine in it at least? I owned a Focus for 7 years and it doesn't seem like a cop car for speed to me.

6 minutes ago, briangw said:

Foci are sold to Urban Police Depts? Seriously? Do they put a better engine in it at least? I owned a Focus for 7 years and it doesn't seem like a cop car for speed to me.

They aren’t. Maybe in NYC or large metro areas to write parking tickets. But no. Small town police departments don’t use focuses lol. 

Chances are those urban towns are still on crown Vic’s, and the ones that are replacing them are going to ford explorers or Dodge Charger v6s. Which is exactly what all the small country towns around here are doing. 

10 hours ago, shockz said:

They aren’t. Maybe in NYC or large metro areas to write parking tickets. But no. Small town police departments don’t use focuses lol. 

Chances are those urban towns are still on crown Vic’s, and the ones that are replacing them are going to ford explorers or Dodge Charger v6s. Which is exactly what all the small country towns around here are doing. 

Up here a good number of Crown Vics were retired. The bulk of the new fleet are the Police Interceptors, the Taurus variant for general pursuit vehicles and the Explorer variants for supervisors and special ops. The northern suburbs seem to prefer the Interceptor SUV. According to Wikipedia, we even have some fortwos for parking enforcement (lolwut)

They usually have some demo units of the Interceptor sedan in our AutoShow for us law abiding folk to try out, and dear god is the back cramped as hell. Should have given suspects some dignity to space out their legs while handcuffed ?

I don't see police foci in the suburbs of NJ or PA.  

FWIW, the intercepter badge is just a badge.  They throw that on standard police crusiers, according to the PD mechanic I used to work with at the station when fitting cars with computers.  I was only allowed to drive around the parking lot with one :( I was unsupervised for the most part.... (I could have, but it would not have ended well for me if I did).  

I hope Ford is still thinking of bringing the Ranger back next year like was planned? Kind of hard to believe they're dumping the Fusion though. Big seller around here. Must be a million of those on the road here alone.

7 hours ago, cork1958 said:

I hope Ford is still thinking of bringing the Ranger back next year like was planned? Kind of hard to believe they're dumping the Fusion though. Big seller around here. Must be a million of those on the road here alone.

there are tons of fusion in canada. lots of hybrids. people like them

I an genuinely surprised they plan to stop selling them.

I was just driven in a brand new fusion hybrid. it was real nice and the owner was super happy with it.

strange move

On 7/27/2018 at 8:58 PM, PGHammer said:

I did not say they were; however, they ARE a world-class SUV brand (the only one that sells in any appreciable numbers in the US that is not US-based; they outsell Toyota's Land Cruiser here, despite costing many thousands more - and no; I am not kidding in the least - can someone explain the why of that?).

The fact that Range Rover outsells Land Cruiser in the United States is not logical; and considering that is also untrue in the UK - Range Rover's home market - the sales disparity makes even less sense.  In short, I am comparing world-class SUVs to each other.  I am saying that in the UK (or in Asia) fuel economy is more important than safety - the same is true in Asia (both are areas where practically ALL petrol is imported).  That is not true in the United States (and especially now with the development of shale fields); that does - and has - made a massive difference when it comes to what types of vehicles sell and get purchased; to think that it wouldn't is cuckoo.

Land Cruiser looks like a boxy turd. It doesn’t surprise me in the least that Range Rover sells better. 

On 7/30/2018 at 12:33 PM, briangw said:

Yes - they do.  Two reasons - maneuverability in urban environments (alleyways for example) and fuel economy.  It is why you can have mixed vehicle collections in police departments (the LAPD had both the original Chevrolet Caprice AND original Nova - I'm talking 1970s-era one in black-and-white - at the same time).

53 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Land Cruiser looks like a boxy turd. It doesn’t surprise me in the least that Range Rover sells better. 

Looks are NOT everything; you are thinking like - egad - a fashionista; the reason for the disparity is - rather oddly - fuel economy; Toyota has, in fact, paid little attention to the Land Cruiser's fuel economy in recent years - it is actually threatening the Suburban for worst fuel economy among gas-powered SUVs overall - which would be rather embarrassing for Toyota.

Yes, you have to be a fashionista to not want to be driving around every day in a hideous vehicle.  Heh.

Why don't we all just use the ugliest thing we can find!  Take that, fashion police!

9 hours ago, sc302 said:

I don't see police foci in the suburbs of NJ or PA.  

FWIW, the intercepter badge is just a badge.  They throw that on standard police crusiers, according to the PD mechanic I used to work with at the station when fitting cars with computers.  I was only allowed to drive around the parking lot with one :( I was unsupervised for the most part.... (I could have, but it would not have ended well for me if I did).  

The *INTERCEPTOR* is, in fact, a particular package of options (in the case of Ford, their version of Chevrolet's ZL-1 option package that saw law-enforcement duties) - it predates the Crown Victoria (which was originally a subset of the full-sized four-door 1970s Ford LTD/Mercury Grand Marquis) and post-dates it as well (the Taurus INTERCEPTOR is quite real - it was based on the Taurus SHO - the 3-liter "Vulcan" dual-turbo V-6 developed in cooperation with Kawasaki (as in the motorcycle division of Kawasaki Heavy Industries/KHI) along with a MUCH-beefed-up auto-trans - what a LOT of folks forget is that the original SHO sold with either a stick or a six-speed autotrans - the first six-speed auto used in production vehicles made in the US)  Police cars get rused and - quite bluntly - abused on the job; only taxicabs have it worse (and that is comparing both fleets in New York City, of all places).