'Holy grail' of guns made: Company sells $4.5M pistols made from 4.5-billion-year-old meteorite

1524748639259.thumb.jpg.cd166c135230113b855b383c2cb8c63e.jpg

Talk about out of this world.

Cabot Guns, a high-end weapons company, is selling the most expensive guns ever made, a pair of handguns made from a 4.5 billion-year-old meteorite, SWNS reports. The pair is priced at $4.5 million. 

Known as the "Big Bang Pistol Set," the guns were forged from metals found in the Gibeon meteorite, which fell in Namibia and is named for the nearest town after it was discovered in 1836 by English captain J. E. Alexander.

Rob Bianchin, founder and president of Indiana-based Cabot Guns, said the guns have received plenty of attention for how they were made.

"I have been told by many collectors and experts that The Big Bang Pistol set are the 'holy grail' of collectable firearms," Bianchin said in comments obtained by SWNS. "These will be the crown jewel of any collection — they will appeal to both firearm collectors as well as those fascinated with space and engineering."

Bianchin noted that, "Gibeon meteorite [metals] exhibit the most desirable crystalline pattern and are the most desired of all iron meteorites."

Other items have been made from the Gibeon meteorite, including rings, bracelets and earrings.

More....

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/04/26/holy-grail-guns-made-company-sells-4-5m-pistols-made-from-4-5-billion-year-old-meteorite.html

I honestly don't understand stuff like this, I know there's a market for it but it just screams of having so much money you just find the most expensive thing possible to make and then sell it for a premium. Does look pretty cool, though.

Nice looking guns that will never be fired.  Seems a waste of a meteorite to me, although the alternative of it sitting in a museum or warehouse for the rest of time is a waste too.

Besides being beautiful, nickel-iron meteorite metal is exceedingly tough and has been used for making very durable weapons since about 3500BC. These are usually formed by supernova nucleosynthesis -- in the cores of exploding giant stars.

Metals like gold or platinum are formed by colliding neutron stars, the fast-spinning 'stellar corpse' left over from a supernova.