New York parents win legal battle to evict son, 30

_101692437_mediaitem101692436.jpg

A New York couple have won their legal battle to evict their 30-year-old son from home after he refused to leave.

During a hearing at the state's highest court in Syracuse, a judge praised Michael Rotondo's legal research, but ordered him to leave the house anyway.

Justice Donald Greenwood told the son his bid to remain in his parent's home another six months was "outrageous".

But Mr Rotondo, who legally represented himself, said it was the eviction notice that was outrageous.

Source: BBC

Millennials :| 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

I thought Millennials was people born in the 90s.. and under 30

eh..

googling doesnt help much because some say it goes to the early 80s but then some say generation X is the 80s

He left court, presumably heading back to his parents' home.

That last line in the article :rofl:

unlike him, my parents actually depend on my income to help on with bills. so if I move out, they would have to move in with me.

27 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

Sigh. You mean he's just like the 50 year old down the road who mooches of his parents is just like this guy? Stop acting as if these people suddenly materialized out of the blue.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Steven P. said:

everyone loves to pick on millennials... but every generation has crazy/weird people, including yours. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, shockz said:

Sigh. You mean he's just like the 50 year old down the road who mooches of his parents is just like this guy? Stop acting as if these people suddenly materialized out of the blue.

There's a difference. Previous generations were embarrassed to still be mooching off their parents and wanted out ASAP. Many in this new batch look on mooching as a birthright.

1 minute ago, DocM said:

There's a difference. Previous generations were embarrassed to still be mooching off their parents and wanted out ASAP. Many in this new batch look on mooching as a birthright.

There is not a difference in that it has occurred with EVERY recent generation, including mine and including yours. 

6 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

There is not a difference in that it has occurred with EVERY recent generation, including mine and including yours. 

Occur yes, but the rate and attitude is far different. The newbies are far more entitlement minded. 

16 minutes ago, DocM said:

Total nonsense. It'd almost be laughable if you weren't being serious.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, DocM said:

Occur yes, but the rate and attitude is far different. The newbies are far more entitlement minded. 

Please do tell, what generation are you? I have a good idea, but if you're bashing mine, I can certainly critique yours.

One only need to look at our cultural history sections of media, editorials etc, to see that what you said about my generation can be said verbatim by people in the 40s, 50s, especially 60s, and 70s, and 80s.

Congratulations. You've become the stereotypical crotchety old man complaining about those yongins. Feedback loop complete. Better go watch your lawn to make sure those kids stay off it.

Edited by shockz

22 minutes ago, NJL said:

The issue I have is why are such people not ashamed of themselves?

Because of how they were raised. My cousin is in his late thirties and has yet to have a place of his own, nor paid rent or mortgage. He even has two kids out of a wedlock. He has no shame. 

2 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Because of how they were raised. My cousin is in his late thirties and has yet to have a place of his own, nor paid rent or mortgage. He even has two kids out of a wedlock. He has no shame. 

*gasp* you mean he's not a millennial and he's like that? I think my brain just blue screened.

3 hours ago, shockz said:

Okay.

3 hours ago, tsupersonic said:

everyone loves to pick on millennials... but every generation has crazy/weird people, including yours. 

Agreed, but I am still ? about this 30 year old, his parents obviously had enough of him mooching off them.

51 minutes ago, DocM said:

Occur yes, but the rate and attitude is far different.

No. No it's not. We now know about it more because of the internet. Before that it still happened just as much.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wakjak said:

No. No it's not. We now know about it more because of the internet. Before that it still happened just as much.

Interwebs!

I live at home still and I'm 31...I pay my parents rent even though they dont need my money. Living with my parents helped me save my money and because of that I was able to buy 2 investment properties near our house which I'm renting out, and if anyone of you guys know anything about Vancouver, BC you'll know that property here is getting out of hand because of foreign money influxing our housing market...in fact it's not that uncommon for people in BC to still be living at home over 35, since it's cheaper than renting a 650 sq ft apartment for 2000$ a month. I'm definitely not mooching off my parents but if you do it right, it helps save money and I'd rather buy property than play the stock market. Once I settle down I'll have an apartment already paid off that I can move into.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, shockz said:

Please do tell, what generation are you? I have a good idea, but if you're bashing mine, I can certainly critique yours.

>

Born in 1949, and helped work the farm from the time I could walk. Drove a tractor at 7, drove a deuce and a half in the farm at 10. Had my "farm kids" driver permit at 12, licensed driver at 13.  Graduated & started college at 16.

Yeah, people like me have higher expectations of younguns and we produced productive offspring. Deal with it. 

3 hours ago, DocM said:

Born in 1949, and helped work the farm from the time I could walk. Drove a tractor at 7, drove a deuce and a half in the farm at 10. Had my "farm kids" driver permit at 12, licensed driver at 13.  Graduated & started college at 16.

Yeah, people like me have higher expectations of younguns and we produced productive offspring. Deal with it. 

More like you need to deal with the fact that not everyone is like you and moochers have been around since before your time. 

“People like you” is not an entire generation.  Deal with that. 

37 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

More like you need to deal with the fact that not everyone is like you and moochers have been around since before your time. 

“People like you” is not an entire generation.  Deal with that. 

Not to mention many places have much higher costs of living these days.  My local city has been talking not having enough lower income housing for something like a decade now and nothing ever happens.

• Like 2

Economically it's pretty tough to live on your own in the UK as mortgage + bills + transport, and a deposit to boot is making the bar higher to get onto the ladder.  Rental is the other way, but monthly costs are almost the same as a mortgage so you lose out in the long term so I do understand why young people are hesitant to get a place of their own as it's a big change in lifestyle.

So as DocM put it, perhaps people of his generation would be more embarrassed as values were different back then - times change and people change too (extended family's were once part of the norm at one point).

Ultimately it's up to people to do what they want, if parents are happy to let their children live with them - then it's fine.

Obviously the above article is a pretty extreme example of when things go wrong, hopefully he finds a job soon.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, LostCat said:

Not to mention many places have much higher costs of living these days. 

That's often a high taxed area  problem. $250-350k gets you a shack in California or NYC, or a 2,500-3,000+ sq/ft modern house in Michigan etc. Ditto for many other things, including state & local income taxes - if there are any at all in many states. 

My local city has been talking not having enough lower income housing for something like a decade now and nothing ever happens.

It helps to have a plan. As Detroit  (rapidly) rebuilds low income housing is part of the community plan. An example is the rebuilding 50 city block mixed use area now known as The District. Phase 1 is done with a new hockey & mixed event arena, and the in process Phase 2 gets new retail, restaurants, mixed income housing (20% low) etc.

The Hudson's Detroit development will also have low income housing. A bit of history, and the concept of what's being built - one of several such developments near the central Campus Martius district,

Campus Martius at Christmas, 

48c49f093e2885697b3031ed87b6ef2d.jpg