Bourbon storage facility collapses in Kentucky, sending barrels crashing to ground

A portion of a warehouse housing thousands of barrels of bourbon collapsed in Kentucky on Friday, sending roughly half of those barrels crashing to the ground.

Bardstown Fire Chief Bill Mattingly said the storage facility at the Barton 1792 Distillery collapsed “length-wise” on Friday morning, and left the other half leaning and in danger of buckling, Kentucky Standard reported.

Let us all have a moment of silence.....

The horror..... I wonder if they are looking for volunteers to help clean up. ?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Xenon said:

The horror..... I wonder if they are looking for volunteers to help clean up. ?

*hiccup* already *hiccup* beat you *hiccup* to it......*hiccup*

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, techbeck said:

*hiccup* already *hiccup* beat you *hiccup* to it......*hiccup*

NOOOOO............ ?

6 minutes ago, Xenon said:

NOOOOO............ ?

I think there will be some left.  Just a fraction of that would kill me. But man, what a loss.  I would imagine this would be treated as a hazardous situation with the proper cleanup.

40 minutes ago, techbeck said:

I think there will be some left.  Just a fraction of that would kill me. But man, what a loss.  I would imagine this would be treated as a hazardous situation with the proper cleanup.

Yea. I am more a rum guy my self. I wonder if it happened in a dry county. I think there are a couple of them in Kentucky.

10 minutes ago, spacelordmaster said:

Oh damn, I wish I would have been there. What a waste of good whiskey!....LOL

Who says it's wasted? Just a bunch of barrels laying around. Only gets better with age. Having said that, can I have just one of them?

• Like 2

It'll probably end up being a collectors vintage :)

Don't drink much whisky, but make mine Buffalo Trace, Evan Williams Black Label, or Crown Royal Reserve. Depends on the mood.

Edited by DocM

3 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Those barrels are REALLY strong, I'd be surprised if they lost many of them.

Same here. Oak bourbon barrels are first order tough.

Bloomberg is reporting Kentucky EPA hasn't found alcohol in a nearby stream, so a large leak isn't likely.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-22/portion-of-kentucky-bourbon-warehouse-collapses

On 6/23/2018 at 11:18 AM, DocM said:

Same here. Oak bourbon barrels are first order tough.

Bloomberg is reporting Kentucky EPA hasn't found alcohol in a nearby stream, so a large leak isn't likely.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-22/portion-of-kentucky-bourbon-warehouse-collapses

Any reports of extra-happy wildlife? ?

• 2 weeks later...