Xbox @ Gamescom - New Hardware Incoming

So Major Nelson just posted about MS and Xbox plans for Gamescon, he included this snippet

This year at gamescom, we will be hosting a special episode of Inside Xbox, broadcast live from our Xbox booth in the Koelnmesse. Tune in on Tuesday, August 21, at 4:30 p.m. CEST (7:30 a.m. PDT) for lots of news, all-new Xbox hardware and accessories, and features on upcoming titles that we can’t wait to tell you more about and perhaps even a few surprises!

Let the rumour mill commence. It's unlikely to be a new Xbox, but more likely to be a new controller (Elite or otherwise)#

Source

39 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

So Major Nelson just posted about MS and Xbox plans for Gamescon, he included this snippet

Let the rumour mill commence. It's unlikely to be a new Xbox, but more likely to be a new controller (Elite or otherwise)#

Source

Yeah, everyone expected the new Elite at E3 but we never got it, so that's probably what this is.   I think though, MS should really think about taking the base Xbox One hardware and making a portable switch like system in the future.    Maybe around 2020 when whatever the next Xbox is called, which will be more powerful,  since you have all this compatibility going, why not user that older hardware for a bit more?

Just now, George P said:

Yeah, everyone expected the new Elite at E3 but we never got it, so that's probably what this is.   I think though, MS should really think about taking the base Xbox One hardware and making a portable switch like system in the future.    Maybe around 2020 when whatever the next Xbox is called, which will be more powerful,  since you have all this compatibility going, why not user that older hardware for a bit more?

It's interesting that they distinguish between hardware and accessories...

36 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Yup, technically a new elite controller would be an accessory, but maybe they only use that tag for 3rd party made stuff?

How about a new super slim Xbox One S?

7 minutes ago, George P said:

Microsoft's most likely gonna have something of the sort if it can get that game streaming network it wants to build off the ground. A Switch-like device with basically all the heavy loading being done by Azure wouldn't be too sci-fi, though I don't think it'll happen by 2020. I'm happy to be proven wrong.

5 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Yeah, it's kind of weird in that regard. Do they could the controller as hardware or as an accessory? The distinction between hardware and accessory is kind of vague, so we don't really know what's what. Does accessory mean keyboard, lanyard, drink coasters, what exactly? At least they'll have that fancy Sea of Thieves figurine. ? 

Good game streaming isn't going to happen by 2020, no way, not if they really do push into 4k and higher level graphics.     They could just do a Xbox One Go (match the Surface branding, heh) and have it be a super shrunk down version of the One without the BD drive, which lets you download games you own already to it and play that way, on the same 7" or so screen.   

The hardware inside the One S right now isn't anything special, they can make it portable without issue IMO.

29 minutes ago, George P said:

Good game streaming isn't going to happen by 2020, no way, not if they really do push into 4k and higher level graphics.     They could just do a Xbox One Go (match the Surface branding, heh) and have it be a super shrunk down version of the One without the BD drive, which lets you download games you own already to it and play that way, on the same 7" or so screen.   

The hardware inside the One S right now isn't anything special, they can make it portable without issue IMO.

I'd love to see a device that easily stream my Xbox games to another TV/screen in the house. 

1 hour ago, dipsylalapo said:

I'd love to see a device that easily stream my Xbox games to another TV/screen in the house. 

I haven't even tried to stream my xbox to my pc/laptop, maybe I should take the chance and give that a try.    A Xbox Stick would be a good idea, like their version of a chromecast basically.

Update

It's now been clarified that they meant new bundles. 

Stand down all! 

What an anti-climax!

I have to wonder about them doing their own version of a switch, Sony have been there with the PSP and it didn't go well so I'm not sure MS would be keen to take that risk. Maybe times have moved on and people would be more receptive to it but I don't think it would have much more success than the PSP, Nintento just seem to have the right market to make it work.

RAGE!!!!!!!

Still, I expect the new elite controller soon.

1 minute ago, Skiver said:

What an anti-climax!

I have to wonder about them doing their own version of a switch, Sony have been there with the PSP and it didn't go well so I'm not sure MS would be keen to take that risk. Maybe times have moved on and people would be more receptive to it but I don't think it would have much more success than the PSP, Nintento just seem to have the right market to make it work.

You're right about the PSP etc, but a Xbox One Go, if you will, wouldn't be different hardware/platform like the PSP was,  the key difference is that it would be able to play all the current games, and just for a bonus all the BC titles they've added.   When you start with a library already in place, less of a risk IMO.   

4 minutes ago, George P said:

RAGE!!!!!!!

Still, I expect the new elite controller soon.

You're right about the PSP etc, but a Xbox One Go, if you will, wouldn't be different hardware/platform like the PSP was,  the key difference is that it would be able to play all the current games, and just for a bonus all the BC titles they've added.   When you start with a library already in place, less of a risk IMO.   

Are the Elite controllers really worth it? I feel like all I see on Reddit is posts about the build quality being terrible. I'll keep rocking my 2013 Day One Edition controller until it breaks :D

You've got a good point there, if it launched with the same library as the XB has now, then I could honestly be tempted myself.  

10 minutes ago, Skiver said:

Are the Elite controllers really worth it? I feel like all I see on Reddit is posts about the build quality being terrible. I'll keep rocking my 2013 Day One Edition controller until it breaks :D

You've got a good point there, if it launched with the same library as the XB has now, then I could honestly be tempted myself.  

I don't own one but heck, if they're really making a v2, and it seems they are, and considering the original sells for $150, I'd say it's pretty good.  I also don't game enough to need something like it, but as far as reddit posts go, as with most things on the internet, it's always the vocal minority who have some issue with something that make the most noise.  If you buy it, and it works perfectly like you want, would you bother to post anything online?  

• 1 month later...

So today is the day. Interestingly, I've just seen this posted from Xbox UK

image.thumb.png.19136bffae0b06ddd47a77c546aa55c3.png

Wonder what game (or otherwise) has been redacted. Could be the new Elite controller that's been leaked. 

No sign of Crackdown, which is a shame.

I don't know why, but when I first saw that image I assumed these were all Game Pass titles and was excited to see Battlefield in there.

I've got a bunch of conference calls this afternoon but I'll try and tune in on Mixer to watch the presentation.