Suddenly can't access network share in Windows 7

I have a Synology NAS on my LAN. It is running fine and has been accessible to all of the other computers on the LAN for many years now. However, on one of the LAN computers I recently ran some Windows 7 update stuff (I don't remember what the updates were, it had been a while since I last updated) and now I when I try to access the Synology share from this particular computer it gives me a "network path not found" error (error code 0x80070035). I can see the share fine in the network view in explorer, and it's enumerated when I run nbtstat -c and net view. It's just when I actually try to access it (double-click on the icon share, or use the UNC or LAN IP in file explorer) that I get the error. Other Windows 7 computers on the LAN can access the NAS the same as before, so I'm quite confident that the problem lies with this particular computer rather than anything on the Synology side.

I've tried a lot of the common fixes like disabling Windows firewall, ensuring NetBIOS is enabled for my network adapter (it already was), removing redundant 6to4 adapters in device manager (I had none to remove), and ensuring that various network services were running (they already were). Nothing has worked. Any ideas of what else to try?

By the way, I know I could just reinstall Windows but doing so would be a real pain for this computer, so I'd rather not unless I absolutely have to. Also, I can access the NAS by navigating to the LAN IP in my web browser and logging in through the web interface, it's just that I can't access the share in explorer/dopus to do file operations.

Why is the computer problem and not the nas?  Do you have other machines accessing these shares?

Yeah, I have a couple of iPads, another Win7 machine and a Linux machine and they can all access the NAS fine. It's just this one Win7 computer that is having the problem.

What error do you get when you do net view \\computername or \\ipaddress? from cmd line?

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

What error do you get when you do net view \\computername or \\ipaddress? from cmd line?

For both I get:

System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.

If I had to GUESS... Your windows update removed smb1 - which should of been turned off years ago... And you don't have your nas set to use smb2 or 3..

Your other clients prob still using smbv1.. What does your nas show for your smb setting?

Here is off my synology

nassmbsettings.thumb.png.1eb4428437ee4b1fa64cf420123cea2c.png

I have an older Synology (110j) so it only has the maximum SMB protocol option; it was set to 1 so I set it to 3 but it made no difference.

Also, to test whether the Synology is the issue I created another share on a different Win7 computer. Unfortunately I get the same problem: I can see the share in network view but I get the "network path not found" error when I try to access it. I used to have more shares on that computer and could access them from this one without problems, so I'm pretty sure it's something to do with the Windows 7 settings on this particular computer. Anyway, thanks for your help!

What version of DSM are you running?

A sniff of the traffic when you try and access the share should be able to point to where the problem is..  But getting error 53 when you trying access just the view via \\ipaddress "could" be version protocol problem... A sniff could for sure help figure out the root problem.

Grab wireshark... Run it and then try and access your shares.. Post up the sniff.

When doing this make sure all your other applications are turned off, etc.  Have had people post up a sniff to troubleshoot something they were streaming a movie at the same time ;)  Don't be doing anything on the machine other than trying to access your shares.  Only apps that should be running is wireshark and your file access..

Do you have ipv6 enabled or disabled?  If your dsm is older prob doesn't even support ipv6 anyway.  And wouldn't come into play if you doing \\IPv4address

You didn't disable file and print sharing all together did you?

DSM version is 5.2. IPv6 is set to Auto in DSM. File and printer sharing in Win7 is enabled.

Here is what happens when I click on the Synology share. 10.0.0.2 is the Win7 computer that has problems accessing shares, and 10.0.0.4 is the NAS:

wireshark.thumb.png.7aace55cebd93f6c3c0d62575372a4b2.png

Well be much easier if could actually open that in my wireshark to read what is in the response of the smb negotiation you see the request and response.

the RST is being sent by the client.. Not a very friendly way to end the conversation.. Normally you do a fin, ack  But then it tries again to neg..  My guess is they can not agree on what version of smb to use.. You never even ask for shares, or any sort of auth.. Its just the protocol neg part.

edit:

Here is like a normal conversation start you see the syn and syn,ack then the neg

normalconversation.thumb.png.09997316466668530ae6ae291ffad538.png

Client is .100 and server is .9 in this conversation.

Client sends out what versions it can talk.. and then the server responds back with lets talk this..  So you see the 0x0311 from the client side, since this is a windows 10 client it can talk that version... But the server its talking to is running 2012r2 best could be the 302 version

2.0.2 Windows Vista, Server 2008

2.1.0 Windows 7, Server 2008 R2

3.0.0 Windows 8, Server 2012

3.0.2 Windows 8.1, Server 2012 R2

3.1.0 Windows 10, Server 2016

So what exactly did you client send and what did it get back in that neg part?  Since right after that is sends a RST... Which is saying this conversation is DONE!!!

Could be signing required or something.. Be helpful to actually be able to open that in my wireshark and look at the request and response, etc.

Well your client is saying it can talk some really OLD ######!!!

clientrequest.thumb.png.bec7ef2634e4e494aeaaeda6660edb0d.png

Your server answers back with 0x02ff which should match, and sends back 0x0210 which you would think would match 2.??/ as well - but not sure match but then your client says F off with the RST..

not sure why your client is sending back RST.. Is your workstation service running?

I will check with my wifes laptop when I get a chance.. Its still running windows 7..  But you shouldn't be sending all of those dialects.. lanman???   You got something major wrong with that thing... Thought one of the more recent updates was to kill off smbv1.. I don't see how your running all of those old before smbv1 dialects..   This was back in 2017 they announced that.

You sure and the hell should have it disabled after wannacry, etc.  So yeah something is not right with that box sending all those OLD dialects..

At this point I think I'm just going to reinstall, since the problem seems to be very obscure. I really appreciate all your help with this though, thanks again!

• 1 year later...

This is an old post, but I see people are still having the problem and the solution is undoubtedly obscure.  Google search may still bring people to this old post.

Go to your Synology control panel and select File Services/Advanced

Then unselect "WS-Discovery", apply the change, then select "WS-Discovery" again and apply the change again.

12 minutes ago, Tay Ruong said:

This is an old post, but I see people are still having the problem and the solution is undoubtedly obscure.  Google search may still bring people to this old post.

Go to your Synology control panel and select File Services/Advanced

Then unselect "WS-Discovery", apply the change, then select "WS-Discovery" again and apply the change again.

Won't matter after January... :rolleyes:

MS has backed off yet again on killing off W7.. As long as you pay you can still get support ;) And the price will go up every year...

BTW ws-discovery has nothing to do with the dialect of smb offered or asked for.