Multiple Remote Desktop connections

I know port 3389 is default for RDP on the server.  I want to RDP in from a desktop across town.  It doesn't connect using port 3390.  How can I use port 3390 from the desktop across town to RDP to a workstation on a network that has a Windows Server 2016 standard?  I have port forwarded port 3390 to the desktop ip address in the router.  It will not connect. When I use CanYouSeeMe.org it says, connection refused on the desktop I am trying to rdp into and when I run CanYouSeeMe.org it also says connection refused on the server.  Help!

You're not trying to remote into a work server/workstation from home are you?

I think you may want to explain how the network (your destination) is setup first.

Also ... you aren't wanting to expose RDP to the internet ... are you???  Are you?!?!?! 

RDP from workstation across town to a workstation in a network environment, Windows Server 2016 but no AD.  As I mentioned previously, router has port forwarding setup.  I think I need to edit the registry and change the RDP default port from 3389 to 3390 as 3389 is being used at the server end forwarding to the server. 

15 minutes ago, 24elements said:

RDP from workstation across town to a workstation in a network environment, Windows Server 2016 but no AD.  As I mentioned previously, router has port forwarding setup.  I think I need to edit the registry and change the RDP default port from 3389 to 3390 as 3389 is being used at the server end forwarding to the server. 

So to the question above.. yes you are port forwarding it exposing it to the outside world....ya bad idea. You can still use RDP but just setup a VPN and connect to RDP that way, much more secure than opening RDP to the outside world.

19 minutes ago, 24elements said:

You do need to edit the registry, then you need to modify the firewall rules on Server 2016 to allow the connection on the new port.

8 hours ago, Circaflex said:

You do need to edit the registry, then you need to modify the firewall rules on Server 2016 to allow the connection on the new port.

Or a more simple solution, just specify that port 3390 forwards to port 3389 on the target machine, then you don't need to mess with the registry.

But as everyone else has said, you should really use a VPN rather than exposing Remote Desktop to the internet.

People that think exposing rdp to the public internet is a good idea shouldn't be allowed to get within 100 feet of the devices that control this access.

Let me get this right the device that is routing your traffic/firewall at your edge is a windows machine that also listens for rdp on the public?

As mentioned if you want to use rdp to access resources on a network while your remote - then setup a vpn into this network and rdp away to anything you want.

But to the technical aspect of port forwarding traffic to multiple devices behind a nat that use the same port, even if that port is used by the device forwarding.  @DaveLegg gave the correct and simple solution to that sort of problem.  Just forward different ports to the standard port

example

publicIP:80 ---> Nat Device:80

publicIP:81 ---> 192.168.0.100:80

publicIP:82 ---> 192.168.0.101:80

publicIP:83 ---> 192.168.0.102:80

So now you can access 3 different devices using their standard ports for the service without having to do anything odd on the host of that service changing standard port.  And it doesn't matter if the router is using that port either.  But again lets be clear opening remote desktop to the public is BAD!!!

If you have to do it for some special case - then LOCK down the port forward to specific source IP or netblock where the user is coming from.. Don't just open it up to any IP on the internet..

DaveLegg said "Or a more simple solution, just specify that port 3390 forwards to port 3389 on the target machine, then you don't need to mess with the registry. "  I know how to forward a point on the router to an IP address but how do you forward a port?

I just use Chrome Remote Desktop to access my home workstation from anywhere else. Simpler than teamviewer, works great from my phone and laptop, and no need to set up a vpn or forward any ports.

12 hours ago, 24elements said:

DaveLegg said "Or a more simple solution, just specify that port 3390 forwards to port 3389 on the target machine, then you don't need to mess with the registry. "  I know how to forward a point on the router to an IP address but how do you forward a port?

Exact instructions will depend on your router. Normally they will have a box for external port, box for IP address, and box for internal port. If you let us know what router you have, or send a screenshot of the port forwarding interface, we can give you better instructions.

Some ###### routers do not have that feature btw..  But again - that is not the solution anyway.. Since its NOT secure.. Use a vpn.. Does you router support that?  If not get a better router.

Here's the deal:

- Computer A has Windows 10 Pro and Teamviewer .

-  Computer B has Windows 10 pro and Teamviewer.

- I use Teamviewer to remote in to computer B across town.

* The problem is Teamviewer ties up computer B and no one else in the office where computer B is located can use it while being accessed by Teamviewer.

- I have talked to the Teamviewer support people and they tell me I can use Remote Desktop to computer B from computer A and then connect with Teamviewer and multiple users can use computer B.

* Problem is computer B has to be a server.  It's not cost effective to make it a server.

Sooooo I'm trying to find a way to remote in from computer A to computer B with Teamviewer and multiple people can use computer B without affecting Teamviewer.

There must be a way.

That has ZERO to do with your OP... Zero!!!

You can not have concurrent sessions with desktop OS... I you want more than 1 person using a computer at the same time doing different things then you need server OS.. Period... With TV sure you can share a desktop and swap back and forth who have control.  But this is for support normally - its not going to be 2 independent sessions.

Your other option is run another copy of windows on that Hardware via VM..

4 minutes ago, 24elements said:

I'm just not that familiar with VM.  Could you point me in the right VM direction?

If you don't know VM, you shouldn't be doing this...

Windows 10 allows for running a Virtual Machine - multiples even.. If you need the hardware to support multiple different desktop sessions then Run a VM for each different desktop session you need this hardware to support.  Keep in mind they are not going to be the same desktop - if you need access to same software, software would have to be installed on each VM, etc.

Kind of with Mindovermaster on this - I would take your problem to your IT dept, so someone with the proper skillset can assist you on doing it is you need/want to do.  If nobody there with the proper skill set then hire someone to do it for you.  Keep in mind there could be licensing issues on your different copies of windows you run in each VM.  And depending on the software you have there could be licensing issues with that as well.

What exactly on this machine that the users need to access?  At the same time?  Why can you not just get another desktop and put that software on it?  Or better yet use a version of the software that allows concurrent sessions to it vs having to use remote desktop to a machine.  What exactly are the users needing to do on this PC, what software is being used?  And we can work through possible solutions to the root problem

Even if you put up a term server that allowed multiple desktop sessions at the same time (per your license) Server OS comes with 2 default - but if you need more they need to be licensed.  Your problem might be with the software installed in such a scenario might be breaking their use policy and licensing model.

• Like 2

Basically the problem is simple.  

- Computer A has Windows 10 Pro and Teamviewer license .

-  Computer B has Windows 10 pro and Teamviewer.

- I use Teamviewer to remote in to computer B across town.

* The problem is Teamviewer ties up computer B and no one else in the office where computer B is located can use it while being accessed by Teamviewer.

- I have talked to the Teamviewer support people and they tell me I can use Remote Desktop to computer B from computer A and then connect with Teamviewer and multiple users can use computer B.

* Problem is computer B has to be a server.  It's not cost effective to make it a server.

- Teamviewer gives them access to all their applications as if they were sitting at computer B.  Although they use one main program, their a housing authority, software.

- I have tried RDP in the past and the users keep their main application open on computer A, they do not close it and exit, then they go back to their other office, computer B, and open up their main application which affects the functionality of RDP.

Sooooo I'm trying to find a way to remote in from computer A to computer B with Teamviewer and multiple people can use computer B without affecting Teamviewer.

I am not trying to bypass purchasing additional EULA's and I would consider the cost of hardware that would make it work.

Your not making any sense... I TV to machines all the time while there is someone at the desktop using it and we go over whatever it is the problem is they are having or they watch me set something up, etc.  That is the really the whole purpose of TV ;)

Your not going to be able to TV in, and have someone else RDP and have completely different desktop sessions doing whatever it is they want to do - since when you rdp in the console session is locked..

How about you go into WHY you need two users on this desktop at the same time - what is the purpose.. What is user 1 doing, while user 2 wants to access this machine.

I use TV a lot myself, but only for remote diagnostics.

When someone remotes in using TV from PC A to PC B, PC B cannot be used by another user.  The user on PC A uses the same program that the user on PC B wants to use.  They want to work at PC B NORMALLY, using any and all programs on PC B. It's my understanding if someone tries to work on PC B it will disconnect the TV remote connection from PC A.  I don't know how else to explain it.

And lets go over this yet again!!  If you want two concurrent sessions that independent you can not use a desktop OS.. Does not matter TV, RDP - you can not have 2 concurrent sessions with users doing whatever it is they want. 

What is on this machine they need to use?

exactly what budman has said

OP what you are describing you want is basically a VDI setup which is not cheap to get going; and not that simple to setup in most cases either. but in either case you would not even be able to do VDI on your current setup.

https://www.vmware.com/products/horizon.html

Are there files on this machine?  Is there some specific software?  Why does the user need to use this machine while some other user is using it?  Can not just access the resource they need to access from the machine they are going to be rdping from?  With a vpn into your network?

On 7/26/2018 at 12:40 PM, 24elements said:

I use TV a lot myself, but only for remote diagnostics.

When someone remotes in using TV from PC A to PC B, PC B cannot be used by another user.  The user on PC A uses the same program that the user on PC B wants to use.  They want to work at PC B NORMALLY, using any and all programs on PC B. It's my understanding if someone tries to work on PC B it will disconnect the TV remote connection from PC A.  I don't know how else to explain it.

Remote desktop does not fix this on a Workstation.  You remote desktop in, it locks the terminal out.  Windows server has a higher limit of 2 connections  per server.  Remote Desktop Services server has unlimited, but requires licensing to the tune of 100 per user/device that connects in.  

TV to pcA, should be TV to a headless server/computer then remote over to another computer. 

You want remote support with no user interaction, preload tv on all computers and have a corporate account, preload another utility and have a corporate account, or vpn in and remote control via an onsite utility like vnc  to support the site.