We're looking for tech-minded writers to join Neowin; we pay between $5 and $100 per article

We're looking for tech-minded writers to join Neowin; we pay between $5 and $100 per article
by Steven Parker

Trying to keep our readers informed and updated on the constant stream of announcements, leaks, rumors, and insights that pour in from around the world is a non-stop job. With millions of readers worldwide, we know just how important it is to help them stay up to speed with the relentless pace of change and developments in technology.

That’s why we’re expanding our team of news reporters. We’re looking for eager, enthusiastic people to join us part-time, preferably from native English speaking countries such as the U.K., the United States, Canada, and Australia, but we'll consider those in other parts of the world too.

1532543901_nw-promo2_story.jpg

Our requirements

We would love to hear from applicants with experience of covering technology news, but previous experience isn’t necessary to apply. Enthusiasm, a positive attitude, and a desire to constantly improve and grow professionally – applicants with these traits are just as important to us as those with years of reporting experience.

Many of our reporters over the years have had no previous experience, but that hasn’t stopped them from doing a great job; some very well-known faces in the tech journalism community made their names at Neowin with little or no experience at first. We offered them a strong foundation upon which to build their careers.

Of course, even without reporting experience, we demand that applicants have plenty of knowledge about technology. Our coverage includes Microsoft, Apple, Google, Linux, gaming, software, devices, accessories, and so much more, along with analysis and insights into what’s happening in the tech industry.

We require that applicants be proficient in English, and although it is a preference, it doesn’t mean English has to be your first language. We will accept applications from anyone aged 18 or over, from anywhere in the world that accepts PayPal as a method of receiving payment, and we warmly invite people from all backgrounds to apply.

Neowin has a zero-discrimination hiring policy; whatever your ethnicity, gender identity, or sexuality, and whether you prefer Linux over Windows, or Xbox over PlayStation, what matters most to us is your passion for technology, your drive to do the job and constantly improve, and your ability to impartially report and discuss what’s happening in the tech world.

• Be active: We require no less than four articles a week, but the more, the better. We pay our writers per original article based on unique hits. This probably won't replace your full-time job, but it is a great way to earn some extra cash, while gaining valuable experience in reporting with one of the most established brands in tech news.
  • Be original: We expect all articles to be originally written, we have strict guidelines for approvals. We understand no-one is perfect, but we try to maintain high standards in order for a post to be approved on the main page.
  • Be awesome: You need to be able to bite your tongue when negative criticism occurs. It happens from time to time, but remember you will represent Neowin on and off the site.
  • Be there: Although not mandatory, living near a convention/tech hotspot such as London, Las Vegas, Seattle, New York, or Tokyo is a plus.
Although we are looking to bolster timely coverage on all things Microsoft, we don't assign or require people to write only on specific areas or even at fixed times of the day unlike some other news sites, so our reporters can write on a variety of different topics whenever they want!

What you'll get from us

All articles that are published on Neowin start at $5 minimum, and that payment rises with the amount of unique hits it gathers. Just one article can earn $100 if it reaches a threshold of unique hits, for this it would have to go viral, and articles do achieve this at Neowin several times a year. The fact of the matter is, our payments are based on merit and the hits the articles achieve, so you are rewarded when you do well, but you'll get less for poor performing items.

Apply!

You can find out more about our requirements, and how to apply, on this page.

We look forward to hearing from you, and if you’ve got what it takes, we hope to be able to welcome you to the Neowin team soon :-)

You keep asking for writers and then you disqualify me in the preamble.

Why do you only want to work with people who have 'a positive attitude'.

Some of us negative people provide a unique viewpoint.
I mean just look at Surur over at ms power user.

• Like 1

It's their prerogative to hire whom they choose, so if they don't want to hire you, move on and stop whining.

Same reason any job asks? Negative people suck to work with

• Like 1

Heh, this explains a lot.

Yeah, like how there needs to be multiple articles every time there's a Windows patch or new insider build.

• Like 2

Negative people provide great insight when on large team projects.

Do you think Windows 8 would have been what it was if Sinofsky hadn't surrounded himself with 'yes men'?????

• Like 2

You should go build your own Neowin, with blackjack, and hookers.

• Like 3

But, I like Steven, and the community he's helped grow.

No need for blackjack and hookers when there's this vibrant community.

So, contributors are not rewarded for accurate reporting, good journalism, or news worthiness, but instead on "unique hits"?

Well, that explains a lot.

• Like 3

But, I like Steven, and the community he's helped grow.

No need for blackjack and hookers when there's this vibrant community.

Omg you did not just mention his name. no way am I going to ever agree with you, That's over 20 years in IT. Brooklyn bridge --> Steve --> Water.....Maybe just maybe if still alive will see a datacentre on the bottom floor.

• Like 1

So, contributors are not rewarded for accurate reporting, good journalism, or news worthiness, but instead on "unique hits"?

Did you miss the part where I also said one article can earn as much as $100 (and that excludes bonuses for excellent journalism, which we also have yes).

It explains as much as your ignorance is willing to hear, that it does.

• Like 1

I updated the title for those that can't read beyond it default_smile.png (those people need not apply, but also refrain from whining about things you don't understand please).

• Like 1

I've had the honor of working under Steve, and trust me, the system is definitely set up to reward hard work and good journalism. Unique hits are an easy way to determine the quality of the content on Neowin, since much of its audience is well educated and doesn't tolerate poorly written pieces. Also, you get generously rewarded on being organized and dedicated.

• Like 3

Everyone has a different opinion/viewpoint on everything, but news needs to be neutral. Then there's editorials, but they're reserved for -educated- opinion, or else there'd be a lot of content that has no constructive purposes.

Did you miss the part where I also said one article can earn as much as $100 (and that excludes bonuses for excellent journalism, which we also have yes).

It explains as much as your ignorance is willing to hear, that it does.

Some of the articles you publish are full of such misinformation that even a child could spot the false statements in them. Not all, not a majority, but I've seen some here and there, have commented on some too.

• Like 2

Do you think Windows 8 would have been what it was if Sinofsky hadn't surrounded himself with 'yes men'?????

nvm

It's wild to see Neowin growing. I found the site years and years ago while I was in high school and googled for a "Windows forum" to get help, I think with my old Windows ME machine that I had at the time. I still visit it on almost a daily basis to get tech news and love the community here.

I've thought about applying before when you advertised, but I don't have a ton of spare time after work and household chores, and I don't live near any large metropolitan areas, so it would be difficult for me to attend conventions and get the material to produce quality content, and I wouldn't want to waste anybody's time with recycled crap just to make sure I hit the 4 article quota.

Good luck to all those who apply though. Perhaps I'll try to be more active in the forums and see what I can contribute that way, :-)

So frustrating. I've actually written tech columns for a national Canadian tech paper in the 90s (three actually - one on Ataris, then one on Macs and one on general computing), and I had a column on MacOpinion for a few years. I'd love to do a new one or just write articles, but these days tech blogs are more about lifestyle, branding and tribalism than about the actual tech... and I'm not sure the readers even care about the tech anymore.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

So frustrating. I've actually written tech columns for a national Canadian tech paper in the 90s (three actually - one on Ataris, then one on Macs and one on general computing), and I had a column on MacOpinion for a few years. I'd love to do a new one or just write articles, but these days tech blogs are more about lifestyle, branding and tribalism than about the actual tech... and I'm not sure the readers even care about the tech anymore.

Well just because sites like The Verge came along, that doesn't mean a site like Neowin (around for much longer) needs to be lumped into that same category. We publish tech news, not drivel about how Ariana Grande reunited the cast of Victorious in her new music video.