Windows will not recognize my cell phone is plugged in

So this seems to be an on again off again issue and I have never figured out how to fix it. It started with my Asus smartwatch not being detected, and now it is my Motorola is not being detected either. I downloaded drivers from Moto for windows, but even its software that checks for updates can not detect the device. I have ADB tools installed and from the command line the command: ADB-Devices shows nothing connected, even though my phone is plugged into a usb cord from the PC. I have even gone as far as installing Ubuntu (in windows) and running ADB from within the Linux environment  does not show it either. When I look in the device manager, nothing is showing a bash (!), but at the same time I do not see the phone listed either, Just for troubleshooting I have run SFC and it came back with no errors. At this point in time I really do not know what is going on, but I am leaning towards it being a Windows issue. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions as to what I might try next, please feel free to let me know!

What does Device Manager say?

When I had an issue with my 6p, I had to change the driver in Device Manager for my device to MTP.  Go in to your DM, select your device, then update driver.  Select to browse/choose your own drivers and pick from an available list.  Then select Android, then MTP device.

8 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

At this point in time I really do not know what is going on, but I am leaning towards it being a Windows issue.

Considering it did not work within a Linux environment, I would lean towards it being something with your phone. Does the phone show up on another computer? Tried a different USB cable? Tried a different USB port? Try changing the USB mode on the phone?

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

Considering it did not work within a Linux environment, I would lean towards it being something with your phone. Does the phone show up on another computer? Tried a different USB cable? Tried a different USB port? Try changing the USB mode on the phone?

Good point.  I had my port on my phone get some gunk in to it and had to pry it out carefully.

16 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Good point.  I had my port on my phone get some gunk in to it and had to pry it out carefully.

Hmm, that might be it. :laugh:

Although does that explain the issues with the Asus Smartwatch not being detected by the pc as well?

3 hours ago, techbeck said:

What does Device Manager say?

When I had an issue with my 6p, I had to change the driver in Device Manager for my device to MTP.  Go in to your DM, select your device, then update driver.  Select to browse/choose your own drivers and pick from an available list.  Then select Android, then MTP device.

It does not show in Device Manager. I'll try to MTP mode and see if it works.

Edit: I just tried every mode that is listed under USB mode (Charge this device, Transfer Files, Transfer Photos (PTP), Use this device as MIDI, and Software Installation) and none of them change the detection.

3 hours ago, Circaflex said:

I have tried 3 different cables and the front and back USB ports, for what its worth, one of the cables is the one that I use to charge the phone from the wall, so I know it is good.

Edited by jnelsoninjax

Do any of your USB ports work? Like a mouse or keyboard flash drive. Just to make sure they are detected and if not, sounds like it's a laptop issue. Especially since windows and Linux both on the same system do not detect the phone and the watch.  Maybe try updating your USB drivers and other hardware. 

2 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Do any of your USB ports work? Like a mouse or keyboard flash drive. Just to make sure they are detected and if not, sounds like it's a laptop issue. Especially since windows and Linux both on the same system do not detect the phone and since the phone and the watch both are not detected

Yes the usb ports work

3 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes the usb ports work

Well damn. I would try the normal apply all updates, update drivers, and scan for malicious software and see if any of that helps.  And if you have access to try the devices on another computer you can rule out a device issue if they work

can you boot your phone into Recovery or Fastboot mode to see if your computer detects it? If so then it could be the ROM installed or something else interfering while booted into Android.

edit: does your computer detect other phones with the same cables (this verifies they are data cables and not just charge/power only cables)

this happened with me recently; all my micro usb cables for data sync/transfer had gone bad and all the other cables i had around only supplied power. was freaking out as well until i finally decided to buy a new cable (got a good 2 pack on amazon) and verified i could sync again with the new cable :)

2 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

one of the cables is the one that I use to charge the phone from the wall, so I know it is good.

Just an FYI, that doesn't really mean anything. I doubt this is the case, because I havent seen these cables in a while, but at a time there were microusb cables floating around that would only charge the phone, not transmit data because is was missing one of the leads internally. 

edit @Brandon H beat me to this part

An easy way to rule out the phone or computer, would be to plug the phone into another computer and see if it works. You've had so many strange issues with your computer, it wouldn't surprise me if it were your windows install but this would be an easy way to rule out one way or another.

Just tried a different phone, and got the same results (not detected)

@Circaflex You are somewhat correct, however I do not have any other compute at this time to check it with.

Edited by jnelsoninjax

44 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

use this and remove all traces of any sort of android driver, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html, then download the proper drivers and try again.

That worked well! I removed all traces of ADB,MTP, and anything labeled Android, then I reinstalled ADB and Fastboot and now the phone is detected!

• Like 2