The Xbox One successor should be a Windows 10 PC called the Surface Box.

Instead of developing a proprietary OS that is based off of Windows NT for Microsoft's console lineup, Microsoft should instead develop a version of Windows (or at least an overlay) that is couch-friendly and controller-friendly, much like Steam's Big Picture mode or Windows Media Center from Vista. Their new home theater PCs would be under the Surface brand, despite not being touchscreen devices (but it would be irrelevant, as the name Surface could be indicative that this is Microsoft making physical hardware). They can be marketed with a monitor meant for both desk and living room use (maybe something like Nvidia's BFD) or a cool projector. The Xbox brand should be used for a streaming service and other gaming services under Microsoft.

The Xbox brand is too well known to just drop now or change, and besides, taking the Windows 10 core and removing the desktop bits and making the custom dashboard UI isn't that hard for them I'd say.

• Like 2

Isn't the Xbox OS based off of Windows 10? 

Isn't what you described the tablet/touch mode of Windows 8? :P

I mean, reading all the articles about the plans that MS has, that's pretty much where they're heading.

• The Xbox now being able to the game with different presets (Xbox One/One S vs One X)
  • The ability to play what seems like all the games in the Xbox catalogue
  • Game sharing between Windows 10 and Xbox

Even if it's not there by name, the Xbox is very much integrated into the MS hardware line up

• Like 3

8 hours ago, George P said:

The Xbox brand is too well known to just drop now or change, and besides, taking the Windows 10 core and removing the desktop bits and making the custom dashboard UI isn't that hard for them I'd say.

Agreed - the Xbox is synonymous with being successful. The Surface while successful, is not as successful and as well known as Xbox.

• 4 months later...
On 8/8/2018 at 5:39 PM, dipsylalapo said:

Yes it's all meant to be "one Windows" despite desktop, mobile & gaming having differing updates and features :?

It is one windows, the core OS is the same between all the different versions.  No one said the top user layer stuff has to be the same though.  

• 1 month later...
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 3:39 AM, dipsylalapo said:

Isn't what you described the tablet/touch mode of Windows 8? 😛

I mean, reading all the articles about the plans that MS has, that's pretty much where they're heading.

• The Xbox now being able to the game with different presets (Xbox One/One S vs One X)
  • The ability to play what seems like all the games in the Xbox catalogue
  • Game sharing between Windows 10 and Xbox

Even if it's not there by name, the Xbox is very much integrated into the MS hardware line up

Actually when the Xbox One initially launched, it was based on Windows 8 with Hyper-V. when the NXE came out just shortly after the launch of Windows 10 is when the Xbox One was upgraded to Windows 10 (Also stripping some nice features in it's wake.  Anyone remember snap?)

3 hours ago, Matthew S. said:

Actually when the Xbox One initially launched, it was based on Windows 8 with Hyper-V. when the NXE came out just shortly after the launch of Windows 10 is when the Xbox One was upgraded to Windows 10 (Also stripping some nice features in it's wake.  Anyone remember snap?)

I think we'll get something like snap or picture in picture with the next generation.  Stripping features was as much of a consequence of the poor hardware as it was a matter of having something very few people used. 

36 minutes ago, George P said:

I think we'll get something like snap or picture in picture with the next generation.  Stripping features was as much of a consequence of the poor hardware as it was a matter of having something very few people used. 

Seems like the newer mini guide is much better for most things one would use Snap for anyway.