UKUU Ubuntu Kernel Update Utility

Hey guys, I found out about a neat little app UKUU, which helps me keep my kernel up-to-date. A lot of you may just know about it already but I haven't noticed if anyone else has posted it.

Here's how I found out on another forum about how to install this from the command line in terminal: (it's a simple screen shot sorry..)

UKUU.png

Yep. I agree. What I like about this tool is, I can update to the latest kernel and then i fa new kernel causes me problems, the app will let my revert back to any of the prior that worked.

I'd recommend a newbie use this for sure despite newbies would possibly nuke their install, but its simple to use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2018 at 10:01 PM, Q-truth said:

Yep. I agree. What I like about this tool is, I can update to the latest kernel and then i fa new kernel causes me problems, the app will let my revert back to any of the prior that worked.

I'd recommend a newbie use this for sure despite newbies would possibly nuke their install, but its simple to use.

One of the things that Linus is a stickler for is that kernel (If you are a Kernel Dev) that is that it does not break userspace.

I like XanMod kernel. Lot's of nifty features.

https://xanmod.org/

13 minutes ago, John Teacake said:

One of the things that Linus is a stickler for is that kernel (If you are a Kernel Dev) that is that it does not break userspace.

I like XanMod kernel. Lot's of nifty features.

https://xanmod.org/

Depends what you like, bro. Like most things with Linux, you have a choice. ;)

On 8/9/2018 at 9:45 PM, Q-truth said:

Hey guys, I found out about a neat little app UKUU, which helps me keep my kernel up-to-date. A lot of you may just know about it already but I haven't noticed if anyone else has posted it.

Here's how I found out on another forum about how to install this from the command line in terminal: (it's a simple screen shot sorry..)

UKUU.png

When you say up to date, do you mean up to date with Ubuntu or with the latest  mainline? It’s been my experience that Ubuntu and the various distros built off of it trail behind in this area. 

Yeah, they trail a bit. Gotta put in the specific Ubuntu patches n things that they do to generally slow it down ... kinda drives me nuts. In that respect I dislike Ubuntu's kernel. runs pretty slow relative to others. I rolled my own once and had to remove a LOT, was really snappy after that. Might do it again sometime if I get fed up with it enough.

20 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Yeah, they trail a bit. Gotta put in the specific Ubuntu patches n things that they do to generally slow it down ... kinda drives me nuts. In that respect I dislike Ubuntu's kernel. runs pretty slow relative to others. I rolled my own once and had to remove a LOT, was really snappy after that. Might do it again sometime if I get fed up with it enough.

Arch :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Unobscured Vision said:

:laugh: No. Just, no. I won't ever put myself through that again.

What issues did you have with arch?

8 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

:laugh: No. Just, no. I won't ever put myself through that again.

what issues you have with it? love arch linux personally.

if you don't like doing a full from scratch install you could always use a arch based distro like Manjaro; I've used it for a couple years on one of my older laptops now and it runs great.

36 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

what issues you have with it? love arch linux personally.

if you don't like doing a full from scratch install you could always use a arch based distro like Manjaro; I've used it for a couple years on one of my older laptops now and it runs great.

I’m probably biased because I’ve been using arch off and on for over a decade and still led by Judd Vinet, but I really like it. I’ve not found any other distro that makes me happy. There was a period when it changed hands of maintainers where it was truly awful, but that time has since past.

That said, if I am building Android, Ubuntu is the way to go. Too much hassle on other distros. 

I've had less than stellar results with Arch (missing bootloaders when I darn well followed the documentation, etc.). Manjaro was flaky and didn't work correctly for me either. Guess it all depends on expectations vs what ends up happening.

I can do a Debian install in my sleep. No problems. Not that I'm a particular fan of raw Debian but I can do it. I prefer the "ready-to-go" distros and then tweak 'em to suit my needs. I don't have a bunch of time to completely configure the system from scratch then wait for the Netinstall to do it's thing. I've got stuff to do.

And please read that I'm not slamming a particular distro over another. I believe in "using what you need". For my purposes Mint does what I need. I can do minor tweaks later. :) 

I been on Linux for 8 years now. Never looked back to Windows. Started with Debian Squeeze.

On 8/20/2018 at 9:04 AM, Unobscured Vision said:

I've had less than stellar results with Arch (missing bootloaders when I darn well followed the documentation, etc.). Manjaro was flaky and didn't work correctly for me either. Guess it all depends on expectations vs what ends up happening.

I can do a Debian install in my sleep. No problems. Not that I'm a particular fan of raw Debian but I can do it. I prefer the "ready-to-go" distros and then tweak 'em to suit my needs. I don't have a bunch of time to completely configure the system from scratch then wait for the Netinstall to do it's thing. I've got stuff to do.

And please read that I'm not slamming a particular distro over another. I believe in "using what you need". For my purposes Mint does what I need. I can do minor tweaks later. :) 

I don’t mind the pre-canned distros, as long as they keep a semblance of cutting edge. In those cases, I lean more towards Fedora. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I been on Linux for 8 years now. Never looked back to Windows. Started with Debian Squeeze.

I started back in 2001, back when Redhat wasn’t yet commercial and you could walk into Office Max and buy it, Mandrake, FreeBSD, or BeOS off the shelf instead of Windows. How time flies...doesn’t feel like it was that long ago. 

• Like 1

Hey I remember those days! Used to be able to buy Red Hat pretty much everywhere. Then the local computer chain store place started giving away Ubuntu discs and that pretty much killed off Red Hat's sales around the area.

Ahh, memories. :yes: