50°C Hard Drives - New PC?

So I've just been giving Two Point Hospital a run for a couple of hours.
However, running HD Sentinel reports that my two hard drives (one SSD, one err... not) are at 50°C and 51°C.  Here's some graphics:

001.thumb.JPG.1ce3e5e209aecadd43fd2f3b9fe34453.JPG  002.thumb.png.587e38570de8a0779ea6427afe8a78a2.png

I am guessing this is because it's a Shuttle SZ68R5 so not much space inside.

I don't play games that often, although they are growing on me again.  Planet Coaster is another one where I hear the PC fans struggling to keep the machine cool.  But games are only going to get more power hungry.

Here's some more screenshots of my system:

Capture.thumb.JPG.f79614933b19fb9a7e312fc23a9a7433.JPG 

Capture2.thumb.JPG.c49155004c48a8f3b64b7ff997e6b8a4.JPG

Should I be thinking of going back to a full tower PC?
I guess the extra space inside will help with cooling?  Although I did upgrade the CPU in this shuttle with a liquid cooler.  I'd sell it off if I bought a new PC as I can't think what else to do with it, plus it would off-set the cost of the new stuff but I'm not one for particularly upgrading components.  Once it's in, it's in.  The only thing I have really upgraded in the past is the graphics card, and I think that only happened twice.

Shame as I thought this may be my last PC before tablets took over!

As ever, I wasn't planning on getting a new PC but might be able to rustle up £700 for new motherboard, graphics card, case and processor (I'd re-use the RAM and hard drives).  I'd possibly re-use the processor as an i5 is okay for a bit of gaming isn't it?  I mean, the games I have at the moment run pretty well on nearly full graphics options with no stuttering.

Any guidance on this would be great.

Edited by Sir Topham Hatt

That's definitely pretty hot for hard-drives. Years ago I ran a hot-swappable HHD bay but because it ran hot the drives I put in it failed more frequently. Now I have a NZXT H500 case, which is not known for great airflow, and my drives idle at about 35C. The cheapest solution would be to keep all the components but just move to a mid tower case. If you're on a tight budget then something like this might do the job.

I'm not sure you need to go for a full upgrade, particularly if cost is a concern.

I use a Silverstone shuttle style case in one of my small servers, and there's a fan right in front of the HDD bay to keep them cool. My last Shuttle didn't have one and the drives ran hot. Googling yours seems to be the same scenario.

You can keep the form factor, but have a look at some cases. Silverstones are great. A bit bigger than Shuttle cases but serviceability and airflow is better. I recommend the Sugo 10, but I'm unsure if your Shuttle board will fit as the mounts are proprietary IIRC.

Yeah, [the shuttle board being built for those PC cases] is why I thought about just going the whole hog and upgrading.

I guess I should also open up the case and check it's not to dusty or anything too!

But my thoughts have turned to if I did upgrade, what could I get?

Case - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017LXAEPO  - some sort of quiet gaming case.  I don't care for fancy lights.
Processor - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07B41WS48 - AMD Ryzen 5 (although I don't know who produces the "better" processors at the mo).

Graphics card - I guess the difference between https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MAZ357B (MSI NVidia 1050) and https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KADYYT4 (Asus GTX 1060) is small?

This is where my knowlege of PCs is low as I don't understand the differences between components - like all the different types of GTX 1060 graphics cards - surely there's one maker?

So, after a little investigation work, looks like a new build could be:

Gigabyte B450M DS3H AM4 DDR4 mATX - £68

Someone suggested an ASRock B450M Pro4 AM4 DDR4 mATX but apart from an extra £3, I didn't see any difference.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 - £150

I read about the 2600X being better for not much more money but that was a review from a while ago where prices were different.

Radeon RX 580 RED Dragon V2 Radeon RX580 Graphic Card - £209

Fractal Design Define Mini C PC Computer Case - £76
A bit more than I wanted to spend on a case, and it's a bit boring (IE, same shape as most PCs) but has quite good reviews for air flow and noise dampening.

HyperX HX424C15FB2/8 FURY DDR4 8 GB RAM - £64
This seemed to be some of the cheapest RAM I found.  I always thought it was cheaper than this though :/

Aerocool ACP-I600MD 12 cm 600 W PSU - £42
Read good things about the Corsair CP-9020102-UK CX550M 550 PSU but I can save ~£20 by using a less known brand one (which incidentally comes with an extra 50W of power).  Wise move?

Total is about £600-£650 when I look into the cheapest places.
I think I can do that.

All I will add is never use the psu as a place to save money. A low quality psu is always a bad idea. I'd go with the Corsair over the Aerocool. Neither are top of the line but CWT (who makes that Corsair) is generally better than HEC (who makes the Aerocool).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

All I will add is never use the psu as a place to save money. A low quality psu is always a bad idea. I'd go with the Corsair over the Aerocool. Neither are top of the line but CWT (who makes that Corsair) is generally better than HEC (who makes the Aerocool).

I thought HEC makes some of Corsair's low quality PSU's. Unless I'm thinking something else... :unsure:

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

I thought HEC makes some of Corsair's low quality PSU's. Unless I'm thinking something else... :unsure:H

HEC makes a few of Corsairs VS line. Great Wall makes up about a third. CWT makes the majority these days. Seasonic's still out there with a few of the older models. 

17 hours ago, Zag L. said:

HEC makes a few of Corsairs VS line. Great Wall makes up about a third. CWT makes the majority these days. Seasonic's still out there with a few of the older models. 

Oh, OK. Wasn't sure on that. Thanks :)

22 hours ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

HyperX HX424C15FB2/8 FURY DDR4 8 GB RAM - £64
This seemed to be some of the cheapest RAM I found.  I always thought it was cheaper than this though :/

Yeah DDR4 memory is almost double the price of DDR3, consider that two years ago I paid €90 for:

Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB DIMM DDR3-1600 wit 2 x 8 GB  € 89,99

Today, for the DDR4 counterpart I would be looking at paying € 173.99 https://www.coolblue.nl/product/814188/kingston-hyper-x-fury-black-16gb-2666mhz-ddr4-dimm-2-x-8-gb.html :/ 

• Thanks 1