Satellite operators offer communications for autonomous ships

Essentially, cargo ships would become remotely operated drones. In principle, the "crew"  could be in Nebraska,  Siberia, hiking in the Andes, or in orbit.

Space News...

Satellite operators offer communications for autonomous ships

SMM Hamburg, the biennial international maritime conference in Germany Sept. 4-7, attracted not only shipbuilders but also satellite operators eager to offer global communications for autonomous vessels.

"Without staff onboard the ships, it is important to have true visibility on where they are and the ability to monitor and control the ships wherever they go," said Wouter Deknopp, Iridium Communication's maritime vice president and general manager.

In recent years, companies have started to develop and test technologies aimed at improving shipping efficiency. Eventually, that work could lead to semi-autonomous and autonomous operations.
>
Iridium announced Aug. 30 a signed letter of intent to work with Rolls-Royce Marine to explore incorporating Iridium Certus, the new L-band satellite broadband service, in Rolls-Royce Marines suite of Ship Intelligence products, which focus on asset management as well as remote and autonomous operations.
>

autonomous-ship-rolls-royce-879x485.thumb.jpg.523dcff148a15339368ce3fb35f87ee6.jpg
Rolls-Royce developed this concept for bridge operations of remote cargo vessels with Finland's VTT Technical Research Centre. Credit: Rolls-Royce

• Like 1

Naaaah. I can't support this. There'd be nobody on board to deal with problems as they arose, nor to prevent piracy (which IS an issue). Plus harbor safety.

Interesting premise, but no.

• Like 1

Just my opinion...

We have had, and still do, have semi autonomous systems running as we speak...example..large cruise ships and the newer container beasts.

When used as an autopilot with constant navigational updates...this system is tough to beat...unless one likes human error slamming these monsters into land or each other.

Semi autonomous works..period. I do have issues with full autonomous though. We will still need a minimum crew for propulsion, mechanical systems and rigging.

I can imagine a few instances of full autonomous operations, such as convoy, specialty drone or military ops..but for now, autonomous bridge operations are fine..not the whole vessel since there are too many variables in question and you will occasionally require the "guy hitting something with a wrench" to get it to work or the human system " override due to hacking.

Just not the right answer yet, but it's getting there.

• Like 1