Internet Connectivity Issue

I am experiencing frequent Internet connectivity issues whereby all the sudden, the Internet connection on my desktop computer drops out for a couple of minutes. This has been happening frequently for the past few months. I first thought it was isolated to one provider, so I switched from AT&T Internet to Spectrum, but the issue has continued. I first used a USB wireless adapter for Internet access and then switched it to a PoE adapter to make it a wired connection. The Internet dropouts have happened with both providers using the PoE adapters, and it's only the desktop computer that seems to be affected.

I can only assume now at this point, that for some reason the onboard network port on my system board (Asus Z97A) is starting to fail. I'm considering getting an add-on networking card to see if this resolves the issue. Aside from that, is there anything else that would be causing this issue?

It could also be a driver issue.  I had a similar problem back in the XP days where the entire network stack corrupted and had to reformat.

Here is the question - 

At what point does the drop happen.  Do you get to a site, while you are reader or browsing (so not surfing), and then when you try to go to site #2 it drops out?  Ive had a similar issue with a client, answer turned out to be the sleep settings of the connection. As soon as we went in and turned off all sleep mode for the adapter issue went away.  The pc they were using was HP and the windows power settings would put things to sleep and the pc could never correctly get out of sleep mode.  

Thats just a idea.  Hope it helps.  

2 hours ago, cbrookhart said:

I am experiencing frequent Internet connectivity issues whereby all the sudden, the Internet connection on my desktop computer drops out for a couple of minutes. This has been happening frequently for the past few months. I first thought it was isolated to one provider, so I switched from AT&T Internet to Spectrum, but the issue has continued. I first used a USB wireless adapter for Internet access and then switched it to a PoE adapter to make it a wired connection. The Internet dropouts have happened with both providers using the PoE adapters, and it's only the desktop computer that seems to be affected.

I can only assume now at this point, that for some reason the onboard network port on my system board (Asus Z97A) is starting to fail. I'm considering getting an add-on networking card to see if this resolves the issue. Aside from that, is there anything else that would be causing this issue?

Check your event log when it happens. Have you checked for malware? Have you tried Safemode with networking support? There is no such thing as a networking port and this won’t be PC hardware related. 

Which Antivirus do you use?

0)check logs at your router.....probably street poll issues......

1)disable WEB check in AV settings

2)uninstall useless AV modules in NEtwork adapter settings

3)run cmd as admin...then

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /release
netsh winsock reset
shutdown /r -t 1

As adrynalyne mentioned ... what does the event log say ... and as Mathew mentioned are your ethernet drivers up to date?  Is the router's (assuming you're using one) firmware up to date? 

Does it give you the disconnect icon ... or does it just not connect to websites for a brief period?  Are you able to connect to the router during these periods?  Have you tried a different cable?  What are the blinky lights on the port blinking during these periods?  

On 10/21/2018 at 10:42 AM, cbrookhart said:

I can only assume now at this point, that for some reason the onboard network port on my system board (Asus Z97A) is starting to fail.

And how is that if your saying it happens as well with the USB dongle..

Hello,

I had similar problems years ago, with the first generation of 802.11abg and 802.11n routers, respectively.  It turns out these models generated a lot of heat, and would eventually begin to  fail under heavy load.  I tried adding heat sinks to components, cutting additional vent slots into the plastics (as well as removing the the top) and using a house fan to blow air directly onto the devices, all of which helped for a while, but eventually the devices failed.  Replacing with more modern and cooler running devices solved the problem for me.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky