Do You Use a Screen Saver?

Do you use a screen saver?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a screen saver?

• Yes
    • No

There was a time way back when CRT monitors and plasma screens would suffer from burns if there was a static image for too long. These days it doesn't seem necessary, yet Windows 10 still comes with a Screen Saver option. The question is, do you still use a Screen Saver?

From a brief look, the only reason I would enable a screen saver would be so that it locks the computer at the same time. But since I always lock the screen if I'm going to be away from the computer for an extended period of time I only use the screen saver to show a picture slideshow if I'm entertaining guests. Even then there are probably other tools that would achieve the same result.

So how about it, do you still have a screen saver for your computer?

Nope, i have it set instead of the screensaver that it just turns my monitor off

I am same as you though i lock my screen as soon as i leave the desk

Yep, at work I've gotten so much into the habit of locking my laptop that I just do it by default. 

Does the lock screen count as a screen saver?

Just now, dipsylalapo said:

Yep, at work I've gotten so much into the habit of locking my laptop that I just do it by default. 

Does the lock screen count as a screen saver?

Nope. ;)

I lock my screen when I leave my computer, but it just sits on the lock screen. There isn't a moving image that appears (i.e. a screen saver). Although part of me is now thinking back to the maze screen saver Windows used to have and I'm getting nostalgic. :laugh:

2 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Nope. ;)

I lock my screen when I leave my computer, but it just sits on the lock screen. There isn't a moving image that appears (i.e. a screen saver). Although part of me is now thinking back to the maze screen saver Windows used to have and I'm getting nostalgic. :laugh:

Maze and 3D pipes!

There is one set automatically on my computer at work but at home my screen is usually in use anyway and it's LED anyway, screensavers were only really originally for CRT monitors to prevent burn-in

8 minutes ago, dipsylalapo said:

Maze and 3D pipes!

You can still find and install those :

https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/3d_pipes_screensaver.html

https://www.screensaversplanet.com/screensavers/3d-maze-461/

Edited by PsYcHoKiLLa

Yes - sort of.  Normally the answer is no, but I have setup a gesture that kicks in my screensaver and locks my workstation for those times I want to walk away and come back a few moments later - but not keeping a line of sight.  It doesn't kick in after x minutes or such, only upon my gesture.

No...I just "turn off" the monitor after 5 minutes of inactivity.  Was never really a fan of screensavers, even in the old days.

23 minutes ago, Copernic said:

Yep, I like fish 😊

I downloaded a similar app for my phone the other day, just so I can have a fish floating around while I work on the laptop. I thought about getting something similar for my laptop, but I see that the one you have listed is shareware. What are the limitations on it? I'm a bit strapped for cash at the second.

@Nick H. Don't know exactly about any limitations, I purchased a license long time ago. The included 'ReadMe' file doesn't help either and the FAQ available on their site also doesn't provide any clue about the trial limitations.  Perhaps a limited number of fishes, 30-day trial limit, and what I remember while the program was in the trial version, I wasn't able to change or add a clock/time in background.

Yup.  Screensaver kicks in after 5 minutes, monitor powers down after 10.  Still rocking Ribbons after all these years... it's no Flying Toasters but still.  Why?  Because, that's why.

2 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Yes, always!

What did you do back then?  Get screen burn in, or turn off your monitor?

I agree that they serve little purpose now beyond personal customisation, but they were born out of a real-world need - not really dumb.

7 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

What did you do back then?  Get screen burn in, or turn off your monitor?

I agree that they serve little purpose now beyond personal customisation, but they were born out of a real-world need - not really dumb.

Trying to remember that far back, but I think I just had it set to turn monitor off after x number of minutes. Didn't physically turn monitor off. As I have done since way back in the day, I turn computer off when done with it.

Have enough computers around here that I'm usually on a different one every day, so no need to leave one on all the time anyway!

yeah can't say I've used a screensaver since the XP days when I was still on a CRT

it's more of a gimmick feature than anything in Windows anymore; just left mostly for nostalgia i think

I usually press Windows Key + L to lock my PC when I walk away from it, which turns the monitor off a minute later. However on the off chance I forgot I do have a screensaver set to come on after a few minutes, which will resume to the lock screen.

Either way the monitor is set to turn off after 15 minutes, so the screensaver would never be displayed for that long anyway.

1 hour ago, cork1958 said:

Trying to remember that far back, but I think I just had it set to turn monitor off after x number of minutes. Didn't physically turn monitor off. As I have done since way back in the day, I turn computer off when done with it.

Have enough computers around here that I'm usually on a different one every day, so no need to leave one on all the time anyway!

I'm guessing I am older than you then, because I mean BEFORE that was an option LOL

Work, yes.  Lets me know that the computer is up after the lockout time so I don't have to see if the power button is pulsating to inform me that is it sleeping. The button isn't that easy to see on my docking station, it is kind of small and the light isn't that bright.  Alternatively, you could have the screen saver choose the "blank" option and have the monitors shut off after x amount of inactivity.