Blinking Battery Light - Lenovo Y510p

TL;DR: Lenovo Y510p laptop with blinking orange battery light. Battery won't properly charge as it will connect-disconnect. I tried with 2 different chargers, 2 different batteries. I replaced the AC connector (which had 2 pins burned out), and it didn't do its thing.

Story:

'Sup everyone :) ! I don't know if this is the right place to ask (Neowin in general), but I rather do that here than in Lenovo's forums (Need more general knowledge). I currently have a 5 year old Lenovo Y510p Intel Core i7 4700MQ @ 2.4GHz. 2x Geforce GT755m, 16GB RAM, and an SSD.

My laptop is fast enough for most of my tasks (Programming, Web Browsing, Editing files, video editing, pretty much everything except gaming @ 1080p). I honestly don't want to change it. I want to extend its lifespan for at least 3 more years. (I'm so against in buying a new laptop right now, everything feels outdated).

My laptop has a blinking orange light problem. It started after I fixed a problem with the right USB/Headphone/Microphone panel which wasn't properly connected (I was changing its thermal paste, and didn't connect properly the panel I mentioned once I reassembled the machine). I started using it, right after I reassembled it. Apparently the AC connector wasn't working, as the computer turned off after an hour or so (Battery got drained) and it wouldn't turn back on no matter what. I changed the battery and the charger and nada. Nothing seemed to work.

I opened it again, and realized that the speakers were not properly connected (I honestly don't know what does that have to do with the machine...). I connected them back in, and the laptop suddenly turned on! But that's when the blinking orange light started to occur.I then checked that the connector of the AC to the motherboard was burned out. I thought that was the culprit and ordered a replacement part on eBay.

A couple of hours ago, I finally received the package and made the replacement. Unfortunately, I'm still having the same blinking light problem. Does anyone have any idea? I don't want to spend big money trying to fix this machine, and at the same time I don't want to buy a new one

Blinking battery lights usually mean your battery is low.

You did solder the new A/C plug, right?

Only thing I could think of, did you check the battery connections? Make sure there isnt any dust in the way, or grime growing on it.

Hello,

How long did you let the Lenovo Y510p charge?  If it fully discharged then it might need to charge overnight before it is usable.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Blinking battery lights usually mean your battery is low.

You did solder the new A/C plug, right?

Only thing I could think of, did you check the battery connections? Make sure there isnt any dust in the way, or grime growing on it.

There was no need to solder! :) I'm uploading a picture (It's been tough to take it, the phone won't focus correctly!)

I'm going to check and post back!

IMG_20181031_051245.thumb.jpg.cfc9f719bb6bc8fa8646b4c7be42e038.jpg

1 minute ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

How long did you let the Lenovo Y510p charge?  If it fully discharged then it might need to charge overnight before it is usable.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Heheh, nothing. 

Now that you mention it, For the past 5 years, even if the computer has gone to a fully discharged state, I've been able to use it as soon as I've connected it to the power outlet (I'm not talking about using it without ac power). Now, when I connect the old battery, the light starts to blink. I start the computer, and 1-2 minutes in, the computer hibernates.

It sounds like to me that battery isn't charging, I did a quick search and, although it isn't your model, it is a Lenovo so you might have success trying the following answer in the link:

This can mean there is a problem with the actual charger cord. Try the following and see if you can get it working...

1. Take out the battery and disconnect the charger cord.

2. Press and hold the power button for 20-30 seconds (yes with the battery and charger detached).

3. Re connect the charger cord (no battery just yet) and turn the laptop on.

4. Once the laptop is fully on and running, reinstert the battery and see if it will charge normally.

5. If the laptop turns off as soon as you reinsert the battery, pull the power cord and then reconnect the power cord and see if the battery will charge while the device is off.

6. If none of the above works with your charger cord, try using a different one and run through 1-5 again.

A. If you can't get the laptop to run with the charger cord only, battery or no battery, then the charger cord probably needs replacing.

B. If it will run when the battery is out, but not when it is in, the charger cord probably needs replacing.

C. If it will charge the battery when the laptop is off, but not when the laptop is on, the charger cord probably needs replacing.

D. If neither A, B or C applies, and the device will turn on with the battery and cord in now, but won't run without the cord. The battery is going to need replacing.

BTW if you end up forced to upgrade, consider getting one that supports Windows Hello or built in fingerprint reader and then it won't feel like an outdated upgrade ;) 

1 hour ago, Steven P. said:

It sounds like to me that battery isn't charging, I did a quick search and, although it isn't your model, it is a Lenovo so you might have success trying the following answer in the link:

BTW if you end up forced to upgrade, consider getting one that supports Windows Hello or built in fingerprint reader and then it won't feel like an outdated upgrade ;) 

Thanks for the tip :) I just followed @Mindovermaster and did another checkup to the laptop. Found out the culprit!

So the connector where the AC plugs into is also damaged. These are the specs from the motherboard: JDC1N1 1.2cm width. 0.5cm height 0.4cm depth
IMG_20181031_053910.thumb.jpg.2db7f2362ae169f5654a35c2999c6af3.jpgIMG_20181031_054257.thumb.jpg.582519cf9e0707d3f6bf9e577fd312e1.jpgIMG_20181031_055606.thumb.jpg.2e955a76baf6b9510fe9e780ab700080.jpg

I'll need to work with some soldering, which I have no idea on how to do. Therefore, it's time for me to acquire new skills. I've needed that ability for a long time now... This is it!

Any suggestions about the part? A quick Google search doesn't seem to show anything.

Edit:

Of course it doesn't show anything, as it isn't the part!

13 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Have a friend help you with soldering. Don't wanna mess up and have a brick :)

;) I have the perfect individual for that.

Now I need to know what's that part called...

• 1 month later...

I just came back to let everyone know. I went to a friend who knows how to work with circuit boards and he showed me with a tester that the pin that I showcased in the picture wasn't at fault, as it did receive current all the way up to it. He said to me that for him to continue working he would need the motherboard's diagram (We looked at a schematic (https://elektrotanya.com/lenovo_ideapad_y510p_compal_viqy1_nm-a032_rev1.0_sch.pdf/download.html) , but he couldn't make it work with it.

He's now super busy and I'm thinking on just replacing the whole mobo altogether...

• 5 weeks later...

I feel dumb dumb dumb... But I guess this is one of the lessons that you learn for life. I ended up ordering a new motherboard. I replaced it... and guess what? The battery light was still blinking! I turned on the computer and saw that the battery was charging... Therefore I decided to just let the battery charge... and after leaving it for many hours... the blinking light is gone! 

Which means that the motherboard was in great condition! (Geez, it kind of hurt those $160 spent in the new mobo... Can't return it because it's more expensive for me to send it back...) I do find it somewhat convenient as there were some loose connectors in the old one that prevented the keyboard's background light from working at all (Now it's back, heck yeah!)...

Nonetheless, the lesson is the following: After replacing the burned connector, let the battery charge completely, before making any more wild guesses. 

My theory is the following: When I replaced the apparently problematic AC cable the problem did get solved. I just never let the battery charge in the first place. 

On 1/17/2019 at 6:16 PM, Jose_49 said:

I feel dumb dumb dumb... But I guess this is one of the lessons that you learn for life. I ended up ordering a new motherboard. I replaced it... and guess what? The battery light was still blinking! I turned on the computer and saw that the battery was charging... Therefore I decided to just let the battery charge... and after leaving it for many hours... the blinking light is gone! 

Which means that the motherboard was in great condition! (Geez, it kind of hurt those $160 spent in the new mobo... Can't return it because it's more expensive for me to send it back...) I do find it somewhat convenient as there were some loose connectors in the old one that prevented the keyboard's background light from working at all (Now it's back, heck yeah!)...

Nonetheless, the lesson is the following: After replacing the burned connector, let the battery charge completely, before making any more wild guesses. 

My theory is the following: When I replaced the apparently problematic AC cable the problem did get solved. I just never let the battery charge in the first place. 

That is still a very performant laptop and somewhere out there, perhaps this very minute, somebody has just knocked their coffee over the keyboard and fried the motherboard!

You could recover some money and more importantly help another human being by listing the old worn and torn but still working motherboard on ebay or craigslist etc...

Still rockin' my Lenovo! Upgraded to a Samsung EVO 860 500GB SSD, and this thing is BEAST! Just a couple of wear and tear scratches, but still, this thing is BLAZING fast! Battery is still good too! Been super happy with it! Thanks Neowin!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, DevTech said:

That is still a very performant laptop and somewhere out there, perhaps this very minute, somebody has just knocked their coffee over the keyboard and fried the motherboard!

You could recover some money and more importantly help another human being by listing the old worn and torn but still working motherboard on ebay or craigslist etc...

Thing is... Unfortunately I don't live in the US or a place where eBay is easily accessible (Living in the Dominican Republic). I can order from the US via a courier (They reside in Miami FL, they get the package and then they send it to me)

I'm going to try posting it in my local place to see if by any chance some still needs it... who knows?

1 hour ago, Obi-Wan Kenobi said:

Still rockin' my Lenovo! Upgraded to a Samsung EVO 860 500GB SSD, and this thing is BEAST! Just a couple of wear and tear scratches, but still, this thing is BLAZING fast! Battery is still good too! Been super happy with it! Thanks Neowin!

It is ;). The Quad Core i7 4700MQ still fares pretty well even against some 8th generation chips. 

Up until the 7700HQ it's just 15% faster. Adding 2 additional cores makes a significant difference, but still!

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700HQ-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4700MQ/m211019vs2727

Great PC! I like to milk and squeeze my electronics as much as possible, so I wanna get at least 3+ years out of this!

1 hour ago, Jose_49 said:

Thing is... Unfortunately I don't live in the US or a place where eBay is easily accessible (Living in the Dominican Republic). I can order from the US via a courier (They reside in Miami FL, they get the package and then they send it to me)

I'm going to try posting it in my local place to see if by any chance some still needs it... who knows?

Ah, your problem there is like the Drake Equation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation

The Drake equation is:

{\displaystyle N=R_{*}\cdot f_{\mathrm {p} }\cdot n_{\mathrm {e} }\cdot f_{\mathrm {l} }\cdot f_{\mathrm {i} }\cdot f_{\mathrm {c} }\cdot L}

where:

N = the number of civilizations in our galaxy with which communication might be possible (i.e. which are on our current past light cone);

and

R∗ = the average rate of star formation in our galaxy

fp = the fraction of those stars that have planets

ne = the average number of planets that can potentially support life per star that has planets

fl = the fraction of planets that could support life that actually develop life at some point

fi = the fraction of planets with life that actually go on to develop intelligent life (civilizations)

fc = the fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space

L = the length of time for which such civilizations release detectable signals into space[5][6]

Which was an attempt to formalize the Fermi Paradox (Where are they?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox

So you have an equation like:

Number of y510p sold * Fraction still running * Fraction of People Reachable by some media in Dominican republic * Percentage of People Who Spill Drinks on Their Laptop

--------

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Dominican+Republic/@18.9388617,-88.1350863,4z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8eaf8838def1b6f5:0xa6020f24060df7e0!8m2!3d18.735693!4d-70.162651

Oh, I was just outside to view the Blood Moon tonight and I lasted 5 mins in -37 degrees so Dominican Republic looks wonderfully warm on Google Maps!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/20/science/lunar-eclipse-supermoon.html

Still partially eclipsed right now...

5 hours ago, DevTech said:

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Dominican+Republic/@18.9388617,-88.1350863,4z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x8eaf8838def1b6f5:0xa6020f24060df7e0!8m2!3d18.735693!4d-70.162651

Oh, I was just outside to view the Blood Moon tonight and I lasted 5 mins in -37 degrees so Dominican Republic looks wonderfully warm on Google Maps!

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/20/science/lunar-eclipse-supermoon.html

Still partially eclipsed right now...

Hahhahahahaha.

I used to live in northern New York (US) for a couple of years... That first part was always priceless.