Windows 10 Enterprise vs Pro Workstation

I read somewhere that Windows 10 Enterprise and Pro for Workstations have the same features...

Is this true?

Another question I have is when I upgrade from the Enterprise edition to Pro for Workstations using a key how do I know the new features are there?

I ask because once you enter a key, it takes all of 2 seconds for your edition to become Pro for Workstations. You would think it would need to install new features.

How can you test the Pro for Workstation features? Testing using ReFS does not help as both editions support it.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, xendrome said:

Page does not show Pro for Workstations.

Also I understand the differences between Pro and Pro for Workstations...

Would like to see documentation on the differences between Enterprise and Pro for Workstations.

You say licensing is different, can you provide some info on that.

I wonder that myself, but our KMS activated Pro for Workstation without issue.

2 hours ago, altjones said:

Would like to see documentation on the differences between Enterprise and Pro for Workstations.

If you know the difference between Pro and Pro for Workstations, and then understand the difference from Pro and Enterprise, you have summed it up. I can tell you, Enterprise and Pro for Workstations do not have the same features. Education and Enterprise do.

Licensing is the same with Pro and Pro for Workstations (of course Pro for Workstations is more expensive). It only differs upon moving to Enterprise.

Most people won't need what Pro for Workstations adds to Pro. I run it because I can (MSDN heh). Thats the only reason.

We need it.

We just received the Dell Precision 5530's with Xeon processors. They are pre-loaded with Pro for Workstations.

I really don't want to create a new image when...

A. I can just use Enterprise or...

B. I can just change the key to Pro for Workstations.

What I want to see is something from MS that shows the difference from Enterprise and Pro for Workstations. So far all comparisons are for Pro and Pro for Workstations.

I assume there is a benefit to Pro for Workstations if Dell has pre-loaded it on these systems.

Also like I stated above I feel like entering the Pro for WS key does not add the missing features as it takes 2 seconds to switch editions. That is why when the edition is switched I would like to test a feature that would only be on Pro for WS.

6 minutes ago, altjones said:

We need it.

We just received the Dell Precision 5530's with Xeon processors. They are pre-loaded with Pro for Workstations.

I really don't want to create a new image when...

A. I can just use Enterprise or...

B. I can just change the key to Pro for Workstations.

What I want to see is something from MS that shows the difference from Enterprise and Pro for Workstations. So far all comparisons are for Pro and Pro for Workstations.

I assume there is a benefit to Pro for Workstations if Dell has pre-loaded it on these systems.

Also like I stated above I feel like entering the Pro for WS key does not add the missing features as it takes 2 seconds to switch editions. That is why when the edition is switched I would like to test a feature that would only be on Pro for WS.

Well again, if you know the differences between Pro and Enterprise, just add the extra features to Pro and you have an accurate picture. Unless those Dells support more than two CPUs or more than 2TB of ram, I can’t imagine why they included it, unless someone specifically ordered it that way. Does your company have use for ReFS perhaps?

I think I answered my  "can I use Enterprise"

According to MS Xeon's are supported on Pro for WS and Enterprise:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

Intel Xeon processors are supported on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and Windows 10 Enterprise only

One question down, one more to go... is there any other benefits to going Pro for WS vs Enterprise. 

9 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Well again, if you know the differences between Pro and Enterprise, just add the extra features to Pro and you have an accurate picture. Unless those Dells support more than two CPUs or more than 2TB of ram, I can’t imagine why they included it, unless someone specifically ordered it that way. Does your company have use for ReFS perhaps?

MS forces Pro for WS on Xeon processors... this is why they bundled it. Given we have Enterprise I can image with it and still have compatibly with the Xeons.

9 minutes ago, altjones said:

I think I answered my  "can I use Enterprise"

According to MS Xeon's are supported on Pro for WS and Enterprise:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/windows-processor-requirements

Intel Xeon processors are supported on Windows 10 Pro for Workstations and Windows 10 Enterprise only

One question down, one more to go... is there any other benefits to going Pro for WS vs Enterprise. 

MS forces Pro for WS on Xeon processors... this is why they bundled it. Given we have Enterprise I can image with it and still have compatibly with the Xeons.

Good to know. I would say no, unless you need more than 2TB ram or quad CPUs, I would just put Enterprise on it. 

• 2 months later...

From my understanding Enterprise can only be purchased through volume licensing, and typically requires a "certified partner" (reseller) sale, a assumed business name, and minimum of 5 licenses purchased through Microsoft Open License. I recently upgraded from pro for workstations to enterprise but I have a assumed business name and was able to get just one key from CDW but it required a supervisor override. To be honest featurewise regarding the OS there doesnt seem to have any additional roles or features. You do get some additional local gpo's like to turn telemetry off as well as extended drive security features. Also, with enterprise you can create a windows to go USB stick with a bootable OS (why I upgraded) but you must get the proper license with software assurance included. Volume licensing process is terrible overall and takes forever but with enterprise you gain access to the vlsc where you can easily access keys and iso files. To be honest if you were going enterprise to pro for workstations that would be a downgrade, I would keep your enterprise licensing. While added features are lacking the centralized management and enterprise oriented features make it superior in my opinion.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 11/10/2018 at 5:28 PM, altjones said:

KMS licenses business/VL versions - which includes both Enterprise and Pro for Workstations.

While Pro for Workstations includes features that Enterprise lacks, they can be installed on the same hardware (I replaced my Professional install on my desktop with Pro for Workstations); therefore, the issue is licensing - not hardware so much.

1. Games and Pro for Workstations

Like the Professional version of Windows 10, you can game on Pro for Workstations without a quibble (I played the entire Anno 1800 open beta on Pro for Workstations with no issues outside of those present in the beta itself - not one issue was unique to Pro for Workstations).  Basically gaming on a workstation OS is just fine (no different than was the case with Windows XP Professional, or Windows 2000 Professional for that matter).

2.  Productivity apps and Pro for Workstations (Office for example)

Like gaming, you aren't going to have a problem there, either - I have the Office Insider channel installed on Pro for Workstations right now.  Again, there is no reason that should be problematical (productivity applications on a workstation has been the domain of both Linux and UNIX, and Windows NT Workstation before that). Again, the issue will be licensing - not hardware.

3.  So - what's the beef?

The "beef" with Pro for Workstations is cost - it not only costs more than Professional, it also costs more than Enterprise.  Justifying paying the freight for Pro for Workstations - even in enterprises - is going to be difficult; Pro - and even Enterprise - can slot into the same seats that Pro for Workstations can, for the most part - and for less.

25 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

KMS licenses business/VL versions - which includes both Enterprise and Pro for Workstations.

While Pro for Workstations includes features that Enterprise lacks, they can be installed on the same hardware (I replaced my Professional install on my desktop with Pro for Workstations); therefore, the issue is licensing - not hardware so much.

1. Games and Pro for Workstations

Like the Professional version of Windows 10, you can game on Pro for Workstations without a quibble (I played the entire Anno 1800 open beta on Pro for Workstations with no issues outside of those present in the beta itself - not one issue was unique to Pro for Workstations).  Basically gaming on a workstation OS is just fine (no different than was the case with Windows XP Professional, or Windows 2000 Professional for that matter).

2.  Productivity apps and Pro for Workstations (Office for example)

Like gaming, you aren't going to have a problem there, either - I have the Office Insider channel installed on Pro for Workstations right now.  Again, there is no reason that should be problematical (productivity applications on a workstation has been the domain of both Linux and UNIX, and Windows NT Workstation before that). Again, the issue will be licensing - not hardware.

3.  So - what's the beef?

The "beef" with Pro for Workstations is cost - it not only costs more than Professional, it also costs more than Enterprise.  Justifying paying the freight for Pro for Workstations - even in enterprises - is going to be difficult; Pro - and even Enterprise - can slot into the same seats that Pro for Workstations can, for the most part - and for less.

Uh, considering Enterprise is volume licensed, no...Pro for Workstations is not more expensive than Enterprise because it can be purchased retail.  

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2018 at 12:28 AM, altjones said:

Lol , it does show it

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsforbusiness/compare

On 4/18/2019 at 7:15 PM, adrynalyne said:

Uh, considering Enterprise is volume licensed, no...Pro for Workstations is not more expensive than Enterprise because it can be purchased retail.  

Also, neither Enterprise *or* Pro for Workstations require high-end hardware - either can, in fact, run on the same hardware that Pro does (my Pro for Workstations hardware is the same hardware that Pro ran on (G3258, GTX 1050 Ti, 8 GB, etc.)).  The very reason I am shaking down Pro for Workstations is to see whether this SKU has benefits vs. either Pro or Enterprise outside of the hardware niche.  Take advantage of it - yes; require it outright - no.

7 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Also, neither Enterprise *or* Pro for Workstations require high-end hardware - either can, in fact, run on the same hardware that Pro does (my Pro for Workstations hardware is the same hardware that Pro ran on (G3258, GTX 1050 Ti, 8 GB, etc.)).  The very reason I am shaking down Pro for Workstations is to see whether this SKU has benefits vs. either Pro or Enterprise outside of the hardware niche.  Take advantage of it - yes; require it outright - no.

Nobody ever said it required high end hardware...