External HDD Reformat on a Mac

I pulled out a HDD from my old windows laptop, put it in external HDD and connected to a mac to see if I could reformat the HDD

How come I'm seeing multiple external hdd names?  Also when I try to "erase", it doesn't give me an option to erase with NTFS

Should I use a windows VM instead? I want to reformat it so I could give it to a next person to either use this as a windows HDD or for external HDD

The model is hitachi 7k500-500. After the reformat, can the windows HDD be an external hdd or will it still be under Windows HDD?

Should I format all the 4 disks?

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 8.32.02 am.png

Looks like it had been partitioned by HP. If you have nothing to lose, just wipe the whole thing.

I'm not that well versed with OSX, but there should be an option to wipe the whole thing. All partitions.

Mac user, please advise...

3 hours ago, slayers_boxers said:

I pulled out a HDD from my old windows laptop, put it in external HDD and connected to a mac to see if I could reformat the HDD

How come I'm seeing multiple external hdd names?  Also when I try to "erase", it doesn't give me an option to erase with NTFS

Should I use a windows VM instead? I want to reformat it so I could give it to a next person to either use this as a windows HDD or for external HDD

The model is hitachi 7k500-500. After the reformat, can the windows HDD be an external hdd or will it still be under Windows HDD?

Should I format all the 4 disks?

Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 8.32.02 am.png

What external names are you seeing? macOS isn’t going to let you format

with an unsupported file system. 

So I installed a VM for Windows and compared against Mac

It's the same. How can it show as 4 disks? if it's only a single HDD. Can this all be combined?

I'm trying to sell the HDD in the end and I just didn't want the person who will buy this feel like a scam or something

Any troubleshooting or anything I need to do? 

Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 5.51.54 pm.png

It's partitioned.. they are all on disk2 (aka your external).  Ones the Windows Recovery partition, One is an HP Tools partition, ones the EFI partition (aka the boot partition) and one is the standard windows C:\ partition...

Just delete them all and create a new partition.  Also macOS does not support formatting as NTFS, it can use them but you cannot format as NTFS.

13 hours ago, Matthew S. said:

It's partitioned.. they are all on disk2 (aka your external).  Ones the Windows Recovery partition, One is an HP Tools partition, ones the EFI partition (aka the boot partition) and one is the standard windows C:\ partition...

Just delete them all and create a new partition.  Also macOS does not support formatting as NTFS, it can use them but you cannot format as NTFS.

Thanks a mil!!!!!!!!!

Cleared them all and created a new one!

I reformatted as exFAT instead of NTFS. It should give more options to users. Am I right?

23 minutes ago, slayers_boxers said:

Thanks a mil!!!!!!!!!

Cleared them all and created a new one!

I reformatted as exFAT instead of NTFS. It should give more options to users. Am I right?

Yes. Both Windows and macOS can read and write to exFAT partitions without issue.