Can this laptop run Nextcloud server

I keep on seeing Rasperry pi 3 hosting nextcloud server and even has a dedicated linux distro and ubuntu flavor

My question is

Can Dell Inspiron mini1018 host Nextcloud ?

Probably, I will have to do more than sharing files, like calendar, hopefully talk functionalities, VPN,ehmm

I am talking real life not mere numbers from support page.

I know there is no gigabit LAN, but I can add a pretty decent wifi module and throw in SSD

It is been lying with no use after its screen died, yet I can work on external monitor.

1 hour ago, medhunter said:

I keep on seeing Rasperry pi 3 hosting nextcloud server and even has a dedicated linux distro and ubuntu flavor

My question is

Can Dell Inspiron mini1018 host Nextcloud ?

Probably, I will have to do more than sharing files, like calendar, hopefully talk functionalities, VPN,ehmm

I am talking real life not mere numbers from support page.

I know there is no gigabit LAN, but I can add a pretty decent wifi module and throw in SSD

It is been lying with no use after its screen died, yet I can work on external monitor.

The Raspberry Pi 1,2,3 are all ARM processors. About any x386 CPU can beat it. I think that laptop should be enough.

Hello,

From looking at https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/14/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html and the link to the netbook you provided, it looks like they will work with each other.

It probably would be a good idea to increase the netbook's memory and storage, though.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

From looking at https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/14/admin_manual/installation/system_requirements.html and the link to the netbook you provided, it looks like they will work with each other.

It probably would be a good idea to increase the netbook's memory and storage, though.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Well, his memory limit on that is 1GB. And he already has that in there, so... Kinda not possible.

As for storage, not sure...

Hello,

From looking at the Dell Inspiron Mini 1080's service manual it is possible to upgrade the unit to 2GB of RAM using a DDR3 SO-DIMM, and 8TB of storage using one of Micron's 5100 series 2.5" SSDs.  So, that should provide plenty of storage in a fairly compact package.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

23 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

From looking at the Dell Inspiron Mini 1080's service manual it is possible to upgrade the unit to 2GB of RAM using a DDR3 SO-DIMM, and 8TB of storage using one of Micron's 5100 series 2.5" SSDs.  So, that should provide plenty of storage in a fairly compact package.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Hm, guess I read that wrong, my mistake... carry on, people... :laugh:

wow, fantastic

do I need gigabit LAN?

which is the lightest server distro suitable for nextcloud? I tried 32 bit xubuntu 18.04 but the browser was as slow as a turtle

I don't think you need a gig LAN connection

Try Lubuntu, it's a little bit lighter than Xubuntu.

17 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

The Raspberry Pi 1,2,3 are all ARM processors. About any x386 CPU can beat it. I think that laptop should be enough.

Well, not exactly true, most ARM processors have Cryptography extensions while the CPU in this laptop doesn't.

@medhunter - You can definitely run nextcloud on it but with some limitations. The lack of AES-NI instructions in your CPU means that anything connected with encryption will be slow and will top your CPU. For example an AMD c-70 was doing around 40MB/sec on aes-xts 256bit which is the default when doing full disk encryption with LUKS. So if you are planning to use encryption on nextcloud it will be slow. Same for VPN - not sure about your internet speed, but you might not be able to max it.

Gigabit ethernet adapter can probably go in the place of the wifi adapter (there are some realtek ones on minipci-e), or in a USB 3 port if you have one. You need gigabit if you want more than 10MB/sec (roughly ofcourse) when coping/streaming files.

For distribution - just go with ubuntu (latest LTS server), it will be easiest to setup, otherwise you might give up. There is a snap package which will install everything needed. Picking another distro might give you better boot times, less installed software, maybe better security but there will be a lot more issues to solve. For the runtime it will be the same.

Just try it, if you like it you can always invest in some hardware, maybe secondhand laptop with better cpu and gigabit lan.

I don't think you need a gig LAN connection

Try Lubuntu, it's a little bit lighter than Xubuntu.

Why the need of graphical env ? Nextcloud is setuped via CLI and then browser from anywhere.

7 minutes ago, neoraptor said:

Why the need of graphical env ? Nextcloud is setuped via CLI and then browser from anywhere.

He tried XFCE. I wanted to give him a different suggestion. Most likely, he wants a GUI, not just terminal.

On 11/16/2018 at 10:51 PM, neoraptor said:

Well, not exactly true, most ARM processors have Cryptography extensions while the CPU in this laptop doesn't.

@medhunter - You can definitely run nextcloud on it but with some limitations. The lack of AES-NI instructions in your CPU means that anything connected with encryption will be slow and will top your CPU. For example an AMD c-70 was doing around 40MB/sec on aes-xts 256bit which is the default when doing full disk encryption with LUKS. So if you are planning to use encryption on nextcloud it will be slow. Same for VPN - not sure about your internet speed, but you might not be able to max it.

Gigabit ethernet adapter can probably go in the place of the wifi adapter (there are some realtek ones on minipci-e), or in a USB 3 port if you have one. You need gigabit if you want more than 10MB/sec (roughly ofcourse) when coping/streaming files.

For distribution - just go with ubuntu (latest LTS server), it will be easiest to setup, otherwise you might give up. There is a snap package which will install everything needed. Picking another distro might give you better boot times, less installed software, maybe better security but there will be a lot more issues to solve. For the runtime it will be the same.

Just try it, if you like it you can always invest in some hardware, maybe secondhand laptop with better cpu and gigabit lan.

I am not sure I will be using encryption.i will be using mainly for file share between 3 different countries , notes and calender sync. I would love to use as VPN of course. So this is a prblem

I don't have USB 3 port.

For distribution i think Antique works well on similar configuration. And even Ubuntu Mate https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/ubuntumate-tablet-edition-atom-processors/4244

On 11/16/2018 at 10:59 PM, Mindovermaster said:

He tried XFCE. I wanted to give him a different suggestion. Most likely, he wants a GUI, not just terminal.

sure

15 hours ago, medhunter said:

I am not sure I will be using encryption.i will be using mainly for file share between 3 different countries , notes and calender sync. I would love to use as VPN of course. So this is a prblem

I don't have USB 3 port.

For distribution i think Antique works well on similar configuration. And even Ubuntu Mate https://ubuntu-mate.community/t/ubuntumate-tablet-edition-atom-processors/4244

sure

If you are stuck on 100 Mbit/s ethernet, then the CPU should not be the bottleneck. Again using a distro with GUI will not benefit you in anyway for nextcloud setup, it will only eat your memory upon booting.

As suggested above, just give it a try there isn't anything to lose and then you'll know if it suits you or not. For easier (and more performant) vpn you can check wireguard, it is not as mature as the rest of the solutions but is very easy to setup (no official windows client so far) and a lot faster.