Can I use Single Ranked RAM in one Channel and a Dual Ranked RAM in a separate Channel?

I am currently using a Triple Channel and have three sticks of Dual Ranked RAM.

I want a buy another three sticks of RAM for a separate Triple Channel, but these RAM are Single Ranked.

So would they be compatible if they are on separate Channels? I am using an ASUS Sabertooth X58.

Maybe?  It depends ... really ... but Triple Channel should be fine as long as they play nice with each other.  Memory itself doesn't care what configuration they are running in (single/dual/triple channel).  Optimally (and obviously) ... you'd want to have 6 matching sticks ... though I understand budgetary reasons may prohibit this.

Also, be sure you get them with a nice return policy...just in case.  :) 

@BudMan ... would you agree?

Well, if you tell us what manufacturer and type of RAM you have and are buying, it would tell us a lot. :) 

(DDR#, speed, maker, series, timings, etc.)

Memory is pretty forgiving sure - but as mentioned for best performance you would want 6 matching sticks.. Now will you actually notice the difference if not - that is depending on what your doing and if your going to be all concerned with actual benchmark numbers of if the system shows and uses all the memory..

The actual MB, and the memory your going to be using would be very helpful to know if system will be able to use it.

I am using three sticks of "OCZ3X1600R2LV2G" in a Triple Channel. Now, I am thinking about buying another three sticks of the "Crucial CT3453156" and run it in a separate Triple Channel. I was under the impression that as long as they are in separate channels, it does not have to be an exact match. As long as the three sticks of RAM in the Channel matches, then it should be fine, right?

It "shouldn't" matter, but sometimes it does.  Just get it from a place that has a decent return policy.  I have seen some mobos that just didn't like certain types of RAM.  

Also, what are you doing that you need 24GB?  If you have 12GB now, do you really need more RAM?  I have seen differences between single-sided and double-sided machines before. 

I couldn't fill all slots with double-sided, for example.  As long as some where single sided, then it was fine.  Just an odd compatibility with that particular model.  That's where the return policy would matter.  

29 minutes ago, farmeunit said:

It "shouldn't" matter, but sometimes it does.  Just get it from a place that has a decent return policy.  I have seen some mobos that just didn't like certain types of RAM.  

Also, what are you doing that you need 24GB?  If you have 12GB now, do you really need more RAM?  I have seen differences between single-sided and double-sided machines before. 

I couldn't fill all slots with double-sided, for example.  As long as some where single sided, then it was fine.  Just an odd compatibility with that particular model.  That's where the return policy would matter.  

I don't have 12GB now. The three "OCZ3X1600R2LV2G" I have now is only 2GB per stick, so I only have 6GB.

So now I want to buy another three sticks of the "Crucial CT3453156" to upgrade and put them in a separate Triple Channel.

Well I talked to Crucial's customer support and they have told me that the "Crucial CT3453156" is compatible with my ASUS Sabertooth x58.

I just wasn't sure if it was compatible with my existing "OCZ3X1600R2LV2G" RAM because of the "Ranks". They did tell me that if they are in separate Channels, then it should be fine... but I don't know if I believe them and wanted to check with you guys.

Edited by Kloud77

37 minutes ago, Kloud77 said:

I don't have 12GB now. The three "OCZ3X1600R2LV2G" I have now is only 2GB per stick, so I only have 6GB.

So now I want to buy another three sticks of the "Crucial CT3453156" to upgrade and put them in a separate Triple Channel.

Well I talked to Crucial's customer support and they have told me that the "Crucial CT3453156" is compatible with my ASUS Sabertooth x58.

I just wasn't sure if it was compatible with my existing "OCZ3X1600R2LV2G" RAM because of the "Ranks". They did tell me that if they are in separate Channels, then it should be fine... but I don't know if I believe them and wanted to check with you guys.

1. Your concerns are well founded. Some mobos will just reject some RAM for no particular reason.

2. Any problems will be magnified on most mobos when fully populating all the slots and this often requires relaxing your timings and slowing down the RAM speed a certain amount to get solid operation.

3. On the positive side, single ranking is a lot more forgiving than double.

4. The web page for every mobo from every manufacturer will ALWAYS have a document of tested RAM for that motherboard which includes test findings on the difference of fully populating the slots. This is called a QVL or WQVL List. Everything on those lists will work. If you want to try substitutes and alternatives, always make sure your vendor has a great return policy.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_X58/HelpDesk_QVL/

1 hour ago, farmeunit said:

1. Correct

2. How much RAM a person needs is user determined. I have 32 gigs and I need to save my pennies to get a whole new system to upgrade to 256 gigs

3. Single rank requires less drive to the DIMM socket. Far easier on mobos. Always avoid dual rank RAM since you never know where you might want to use the RAM in the future...

I checked on the Crucial website and this RAM (Crucial CT3453156) is compatible with my motherboard (ASUS Sabertooth x58).

But basically, my motherboard has 6 RAM slots, so it supports two Triple Channels. So my original question is: Is it okay if one Triple Channel has Single-Ranked RAM and the other one has Dual-Ranked RAM?

Sorry, I missed the part about the Crucial was what you are buying and not what you have now.

I read one thread that said you have to use all single rank or all dual rank for that mobo, but couldn't find anything definitive.  Buy it.  If it doesn't work, remove the ones you have now.  Buy a little more when you can.  You'll still doubling your current amount.

2 hours ago, Kloud77 said:

I checked on the Crucial website and this RAM (Crucial CT3453156) is compatible with my motherboard (ASUS Sabertooth x58).

But basically, my motherboard has 6 RAM slots, so it supports two Triple Channels. So my original question is: Is it okay if one Triple Channel has Single-Ranked RAM and the other one has Dual-Ranked RAM?

I actually wen to the ASUS web site and gave you the link for the QVL list

Buy RAM that is on that list that is identified to work with all 6 sockets filled and your quest is  over. That is exactly why every motherboard maker takes the time to TEST RAM ON THEIR SPECIFIC MOTHERBOARD and then type up that list!

4 minutes ago, DevTech said:

I actually wen to the ASUS web site and gave you the link for the QVL list

Buy RAM that is on that list that is identified to work with all 6 sockets filled and your quest is  over. That is exactly why every motherboard maker takes the time to TEST RAM ON THEIR SPECIFIC MOTHERBOARD and then type up that list!

I saw that list. My question is for the RAM I already have "OCZ3X1600R2LV2G" and if the "Crucial CT3453156" are compatible on different Channels. Obviously, I can go out and replace everything based on that list. But my question is specific to those two RAMs and my motherboard. Again, I already have the "OCZ3X1600R2LV2G" and I can get the "Crucial CT3453156" for a good deal. So just need to know if they will work!

24 minutes ago, Kloud77 said:

I saw that list. My question is for the RAM I already have "OCZ3X1600R2LV2G" and if the "Crucial CT3453156" are compatible on different Channels. Obviously, I can go out and replace everything based on that list. But my question is specific to those two RAMs and my motherboard. Again, I already have the "OCZ3X1600R2LV2G" and I can get the "Crucial CT3453156" for a good deal. So just need to know if they will work!

But that is exactly my point. 

If it is not on that list, NOBODY will know for sure.

So, I download your list and  launching into GUESS WORK, the QVL list shows ONLY 2 brands that support 4 gig RAM in ALL 6 slots - Samsung and Kingston so that might be a good starting point for purchase considerations...

Kingston KVR1066D3N7/4G (using Samsung chips)

Kingston KVR1333D3N9/4G (using Samsung chips)

Samsung M378B5273BH1-CF8 (using Samsung chips)

I see a trend here... that mobo likes Samsung RAM chips.... so I would make sure if I considered any other options they should include Samsung chips...

I can also see that populating all 6 slots needs over-volting in the 1.5 to 1.7 volt range

EDIT: there appears to be NO trend on SS vs DS in terms of populating all six slots

All right, forget any specific RAMs. The thing is, I already narrowed down my question and asked about the "Ranks". As you can see in my title. I simply wanted to know if a Single-Ranked Channel can work alongside a Dual-Ranked Channel on the same motherboard. From what I have read, as long as they are on separate Channels, then one can be Single and the other can be Dual. But I just wanted to make sure. 

2 minutes ago, Kloud77 said:

All right, forget any specific RAMs. The thing is, I already narrowed down my question and asked about the "Ranks". As you can see in my title. I simply wanted to know if a Single-Ranked Channel can work alongside a Dual-Ranked Channel on the same motherboard. From what I have read, as long as they are on separate Channels, then one can be Single and the other can be Dual. But I just wanted to make sure. 

I don't know how many ways I can tell you that NOBODY can answer this question.

And "forget specific RAM" is pure insanity since the mobo will react exactly as it will to exactly the specific RAM that is plugged in.

As I previously said, if we try to interpret the "tea leaves" of the QVL list, there is some sense that like ALL mobos, there is a certain level of STRAIN involved with populating ALL the DIMM slots and working with RAM that is NOT on the QVL list just makes tings a bit more unclear.

So:

1. although the QVL list appears to show no trend for SS over DS (the rank as you call it, I have seen many mobos that only populate all DIMMs by using just SS due to the lower requirements, so in general, SS/SIngle Rank is a GOOD THING.

2. Try to source Samsung chips on the DIMM - that's a no brainer

3. Get 3 X 4 gig RAM so you can throw away your current 2 X 2 gig if they prove to be unstable together. If it works, you get 18 gig which is a GOOD THING.

4. You need to make sure your DIMM purchase can accept overvolt to 1.7 volts since you most likely need that for 6 DIMMs

5. Make sure you manually set the mobo RAM timings to the lower of eithr RAM modules.

6. Then set the timings a bit slower than even that LCD including possible lowering the FSB speed a bit since in my experience that makes a fully populated DIMM set rock stable. If performance concerns you, overclock the CPU a bit since that always is vastly more important than RAM speed.

7. If the mobo won't BOOT with the new RAM, boot with the old RAM and slow down all the timings manually as I suggested and you probably ignored!

What do you mean nobody can answer my question? My question is referring to Single-Rank and Dual Rank RAM. What I meant by "forget the specific RAM" is to not focus on what RAM I am going to get.... I just want to know about the RANK! You don't seem to get the point.

As mentioned, I just want to know if Single-Rank RAM can run alongside Dual-Rank RAM. On any Motherboard! That's why I said forget about the specifics.

Hello,

I cannot find anything that tells if the X58 chipset in general or the ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard will specifically support cohabitation of single-ranked and dual-ranked memory modules as long as they remain in separate channels.  Because of this, I would recommend posting your question in both ASUS' and Intel's respective support forums and see if you can get an authoritative answer that way. 

I've used X58 systems with all six DIMM slots populated (and X79 with all eight), but it's always been identical RAM sticks, so there was never any question about compatibility due to DIMM architecture or settings.  With this scenario, though, you should do as much research as possible with the manufacturers in question to see what information they can share with you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Being strangely curious, I wondered if 8 gig DIMMs would work and it seems they do:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/54786-8gb-sticks-x58-boards.html

http://wp.xin.at/archives/880

And as I suspected, I also saw tons of problems populating to the full 6 DIMMs of any type of RAM which requires careful timing and mandatory overvolt of the RAM

Example:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2982872/6x4gb-ram-set-sabertooth-x58.html

"As for the system not seeing all of your RAM this was a common problem with x58 boards. It was do to insufficient Uncore and RAM voltages. If you are running XMP Profiles then make sure your RAM voltage is set to the specs on your RAM these older boards tended to not set the voltages high enough. Also you will need to bring the QPI voltages up if you are BCLK overclocked as well. What is your BCLK set too right now? 

So I forgot that you probably also need to overvolt the Northbridge as well to make the RAM overvolt work well...

3 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

I cannot find anything that tells if the X58 chipset in general or the ASUS Sabertooth X58 motherboard will specifically support cohabitation of single-ranked and dual-ranked memory modules as long as they remain in separate channels.  Because of this, I would recommend posting your question in both ASUS' and Intel's respective support forums and see if you can get an authoritative answer that way. 

I've used X58 systems with all six DIMM slots populated (and X79 with all eight), but it's always been identical RAM sticks, so there was never any question about compatibility due to DIMM architecture or settings.  With this scenario, though, you should do as much research as possible with the manufacturers in question to see what information they can share with you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

The motherboard is so old that he is more likely to get good answers in old posts on Overclocking forums where they would have tried just about everything with it before moving on to THE NEXT GREATEST THING...

11 minutes ago, Kloud77 said:

What do you mean nobody can answer my question? My question is referring to Single-Rank and Dual Rank RAM. What I meant by "forget the specific RAM" is to not focus on what RAM I am going to get.... I just want to know about the RANK! You don't seem to get the point.

As mentioned, I just want to know if Single-Rank RAM can run alongside Dual-Rank RAM. On any Motherboard! That's why I said forget about the specifics.

Hmmmm it appears that the English language is letting me down...

When I say that NOBODY can answer this question, I actually mean that NOBODY can answer this question which means:

- NO PERSON can answer the question

- Human beings that exist on Planet Earth in 2018 cannot answer this question

- An answer to this question cannot be provided to you as you are asking it

- the question cannot be answered

- I'm running out of rephrase ideas...

BUT, what we CAN do is provide you with the best method by which to approach the problem and proceed to a set of steps that will give you working RAM  in your specific case...

1 minute ago, DevTech said:

Hmmmm it appears that the English language is letting me down...

When I say that NOBODY can answer this question, I actually mean that NOBODY can answer this question which means:

- NO PERSON can answer the question

- Human beings that exist on Planet Earth in 2018 cannot answer this question

- An answer to this question cannot be provided to you as you are asking it

- the question cannot be answered

- I'm running out of rephrase ideas...

BUT, what we CAN do is provide you with the best method by which to approach the problem and proceed to a set of steps that will give you working RAM  in your specific case...

Are you trying to be funny? If you can't answer the question then get out. As I have mentioned, people have answered this question on other forums, but I just wanted to get more opinions here. All I'm asking is if one channel can be single-ranked and the other can be dual-ranked. And then you recommended a list of other RAMs that doesn't answer the question at all. If I wanted to replace my existing RAM then I would have just done it and I wouldn't have to worry about the compatibility issue. So no, you did not provide the best method to approach the problem...

18 minutes ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thank you. You seem to understand my question perfectly. But unfortunately, OCZ doesn't make the RAM I am currently using anymore, so I cannot get another three sticks of it. Another question is, do motherboards usually support cohabitation of single-ranked and dual-ranked memory modules in separate channels or is this a special feature for some motherboards?

21 minutes ago, Kloud77 said:

I just want to know if Single-Rank RAM can run alongside Dual-Rank RAM. On any Motherboard!

Perhaps there is a way for you to get past this mental block.

1. Every motherboard is a different circuit design

2. RAM interface on older motherboards is primarily defined by the chipset technology along with mobo PCB trace lengths and RAM power circuits

3. Modern motherboards add a third dependency on the CPU chip

4. The signals running between the CPU and the RAM are very fast and are subject to speed of light issues, electromagnetic interference, and signal reflectance issues

5. SS/Single Rank reduces some of the power supply strain so all else being equal is a GOOD THING but realistically "all else" is NEVER equal

6. Higher voltage to the RAM and higher voltage between the CPU and the RAM can help drive a better signal but if it goes too high, it makes things worse

7. In theory, you can mix and match any type and speed of RAM even in the same channel as long as you slow down the timing enough and increase the voltage just the right amount

and finally,

NONE OF THIS can be predicted in advance by anyone if it wasn't actually tested!

But we can make good guesses and suggestions...

5 minutes ago, Kloud77 said:

Are you trying to be funny? If you can't answer the question then get out. As I have mentioned, people have answered this question on other forums, but I just wanted to get more opinions here. All I'm asking is if one channel can be single-ranked and the other can be dual-ranked. And then you recommended a list of other RAMs that doesn't answer the question at all. If I wanted to replace my existing RAM then I would have just done it and I wouldn't have to worry about the compatibility issue. So no, you did not provide the best method to approach the problem...

I am trying to use humor, yes, to compensate for what appears to be a reading comprehension issue.

I can guarantee you that there is NO REAL answer to your question which of course does not stop people in other forums from claiming they have an answer...

Just now, DevTech said:

I am trying to use humor, yes, to compensate for what appears to be a reading comprehension issue.

I can guarantee you that there is NO REAL answer to your question which of course does not stop people in other forums from claiming they have an answer...

Well it was not funny and I think the reading comprehension issue is on your side. You don't seem to understand the question. I asked about a compatibility issue regarding ranks and you tell me to buy something off that list... Even if I did buy something off that list, it still doesn't answer the question of whether Single-Rank and Double-Rank are compatible on different channels!